Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 20, 2014

Outnumbered and outgunned by high-tech Nazi forces, B.J. Blazkowicz returns to fight for an underground resistance movement in an alternate-historical 1960 where the Nazis won World War II and achieved global dominance.

This game does audio logs and text collectibles properly

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#1  Edited By extintor

Like Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored, and many others before it, Wolfenstein is a first person action game that also tries to tell a story. Enjoyment of the story itself is, as always, going to vary from person to person depending on individual taste.

However, as much as I enjoyed Wolfenstein's story I also really appreciated how they told it. There's a lot of excellent writing that's gone into this game and some of the cutscenes are hugely affecting. I especially appreciate that this game really nailed audiologs and text in a way that remains consistent to the internal logic of the world..

Specifically, the notes come in a variety of forms and each type of note is appropriate to the location that you find it in. Audio recordings are presented in game as Anya reading her grandmother's diary entries to Blaskowitz over his radio headset. This makes much more sense than Bioshock Infinite's voxophone diaries existing as both collectibles and as a narrative device. And when written word or audio recordings have no contextual place in a particular environment in Wolfenstein (you don't have a headset while in the prison camp), then context is delivered through well written ambient diologue between npcs.

Nothing is revolutionary about any of what Wolfenstein is doing on these fronts, but it is notable that everything has been done exceptionally well... I know that this stuff requires extra effort in development (I'm sure that designing an object like a voxophone and then scattering it around a world is an easier proposition) but I think it is worth it and I'd like to see this kind of craft being applied more often in games where story is supposed to be important.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.