World In Conflict

#1 Posted by Joffinz (1 posts) -

Hi, Just signed up here for some advice,
I saw World In Conflict the other day in stores, and im considering buying it,
Just wanted to know a bit of background i.e.
How much of the game is strategy, and is there FPS involved in it?
Or is it mainly strategy?

#2 Posted by stucket (238 posts) -

lol,its mainly a RTS/RTT game, no shooting involved besides your unit,its a good game,a very good one indeed..

Its old btw,1 years old?dont know.

The game is basically world war 3,Russia vs US + nato + allies, Commies vs Capitalist basically.
Its worth a purchase believe me,but its rather late for you to get excited,lol.

if i were you,your comp must be a tough nut to run it,my comp still having trouble

#3 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

I will read with interest, as it is on clearance at my local store (the special pack that "apparently" has a genuine piece of the Berlin Wall in it - really?).  I played the demo on my iMac (on Windows)  and it seemed to run smoothly.  It looked nice and I love strategy games, so count me in for any comments to follow - I may pick it up as well.

I would have preferred it if I could play as the Russians and destroy America - nothing personal (although it seems America is doing that job on itself):P
#4 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

I'd play this game if my computer could run it...

It seems to be heavily strategy-based, as it is a RTT not an RTS (i.e. no building up 100 tanks and charging in)

#5 Posted by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -

Lol what does RTT stand for? I cant belive I've never heard of it.

#6 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

Real time tactical game? I guess?

Either way it's a pretty interesting game, has a bunch of FPS elements to it, your units are replaced in respawn waves, and you have to hold capture points.

I only played the beta for a little while (or demo? I don't remember) so I might have my facts off.

But basically you start at a point on a big stretch of land like any other RTS, and you have an area where you can deploy your units, which usually are dropped in by helicopter, or just fly in if they are helicopters.
And you send them off to do their thing, duking it out over capture points. (I think you start with one of your own)

Whenever your units go down, it's point cost goes back into your resource pool and you can helidrop them or other units back in as long as you have the points for it.

I think your only restricted by your renforcement runs. So whenever you bring one in it can only bring so many units along and it takes a little bit for the helis to go back and become ready to reinforce again.

The units themselves are very rock paper scissors from my recollection, attack helicopters take out tanks, tanks take out AA guns, AA guns take out helis ect.
You have 4 divisions of units, which you can pick your specilization of. This gives you cheaper units of your type, and more units in your respective category.

Those are Armor (Tanks) Air (Helicopters) Infantry (Soldiers, engineers, and the transports to carry them) and Support (Artillery and anti air batteries)

Also there are the usual RTS commander abilites, various things all the way up to the nuke, but I don't remember quite how and when they are made available to players

It's a rather unique game, you get very few units so each one has to have a purpose and be able to counter whatever units your enemy has. But you are on GiantBomb, check the WiC page.

#7 Posted by Bucketdeth (8048 posts) -

This game is great, I was actually thinking about playing again soon, great buy if you ask me.

#8 Posted by Snail (8659 posts) -

No shooting, plain awesome fictional WWIII strategy...

#9 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

I want this game real bad

#10 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

Real time tactical - you don't really build units, you just manage a limited number. I find that's it more strategy based

#11 Posted by VACkillers (1075 posts) -

This game is absolutely awesome, i REALLY wish they would bring out expansions or a 2nd one by now though....

#12 Posted by Agentfred (58 posts) -
Black_Raven said:
"Lol what does RTT stand for? I cant belive I've never heard of it."
Real Time Tactics.  It's similar to an RTS, but it is fundamentally different.  In an RTS, you make strategic choices, such as what to build, how you diversify your army etc.  In an RTT, you make tactical descions, such as, where to move your units, who to attack, how to attack etc. 
In WiC, you micromanage individual units, you don't have to deal with building economies, base defense, or any of that stuff.  You're just given a group of units, and you're told to break some stuff. 
--------
Anyway, on topic., no there is no FPS involved.  Despite that, it's an excellent game.
If you're interested in exactly how this game works, you might want to check out GameTrailers for some videos of it in action.
#13 Posted by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -
Agentfred said:
"Black_Raven said:
"Lol what does RTT stand for? I cant belive I've never heard of it."
Real Time Tactics.  It's similar to an RTS, but it is fundamentally different.  In an RTS, you make strategic choices, such as what to build, how you diversify your army etc.  In an RTT, you make tactical descions, such as, where to move your units, who to attack, how to attack etc. 
In WiC, you micromanage individual units, you don't have to deal with building economies, base defense, or any of that stuff.  You're just given a group of units, and you're told to break some stuff. 
--------
Anyway, on topic., no there is no FPS involved.  Despite that, it's an excellent game.
If you're interested in exactly how this game works, you might want to check out GameTrailers for some videos of it in action."
Oh ok thanks. If you put it that way could you say that Company of Heroes is a mix of RTS and RTT? You build your base and all that RTS stuff but movement and placement of your units is more important then most RTS games.
#14 Edited by Kaneswrath (33 posts) -

You can try to get the game Command and Coquer: Red Alert 3

This is a great game. And it has intensive multiplayer

u can play co-op
on everey single-player mission

its background is between Soviet union and the Allieds
and japan

campaign
mode

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.