Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Darkness

Game » consists of 0 releases.

The new MMO from CCP, creators of Eve Online, based on the Vampire: The Masquerade setting. The game was officially canceled in April 2014.

Dark times for World of Darkness...

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

To be more elaborate- what OP seems to be trying to say is that World of Darkness was shut down.

I actually forgot they were making this game (first reveal was like 2005), but it does kind of suck it didn't make it. I like the Masquerade franchise (I've played both the original games several times- I haven't played the pen and paper) and I think an MMO could have been interesting. Like all things MMO, though, I suspect it may have devolved into a generic thing or else they couldn't find the right blend of game play to sand box that they were going for.

Oh well. I suppose it's better they can it then release a generic mess anyway. It's interesting how many things seem like they could make for good MMOs but always kind of turn around generic. I suppose that has something to do with how networks affect game play but I can only speculate as I never made an MMO.

Maybe we'll see something else with the Masquerade franchise at some point. Maybe. That'd be cool- in my opinion anyway.

ljbrewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By ljbrewer

I figured this was how this was going to end. I just want more games in the WoD universe. Bloodlines was so good.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By glots

I guess it should've been "got" instead of "went"? I don't know, I'm really bad with clever titles...yet still I try!

Also not being able to quote with mobile version sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember playing the pen and paper version of this game with my friends years like a decade ago. I Bought a crap load of the books too. Good times.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It kind of sucks for fans of the series, but I am glad CCP is focusing on EVE.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I know very little about CCP. Does anyone who was following the development think they could have potentially made a game as good or better than Bloodlines?

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Funny thing is, me and my friends were playing a World of Darkness game these days and we cancelled it today because real life.

Wait, that's not funny. Today is a sad day for me.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@oraknabo: There was next to no information about what the mechanics of the game would have been. It's hard to say. Clearly it wasn't living up to their own standards, though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

So, this wasn't that game that debuted with a guy in a public loo and a mirror breaking or something was it?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee

@thunderslash: Yup, that's the one. I've never even heard of this thing before. Oh well, twas for the best it seems anywhoo.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never heard of this, read the description and got excited for it, then immediately saw it was canceled.

That was the fastest excitement to disappointment turn around I've ever had.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By nights

Great, one of the few MMORPGs I was really looking forward to.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Not even remotely surprised at this news. Well, actually, I am surprised. Surprised it took them this long to reach this obviously inevitable point. They haven't had shit to show for this game since they announced it and any time anyone tried to get any info out of them, they would always throw out these sorta vague, bullshit statements that made it sound like they just started working on the damn thing the day before.

Avatar image for eulogize_my_baked_goods
    eulogize_my_baked_goods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is a real shame, but at the same time not all that surprising given the current MMO landscape. The WoD universe is a fascinating prospect for an MMO but I'm glad the developers have taken this action if the game was not shaping up to deliver on that promise. I can't help but wonder if they looked at the likes of the new Everquest game, developments like the user created content in the Neverwinter MMO (far from perfect but a valiant stab in the right direction) and even the likes of Day Z and decided that their design (lets not forget, one that was initiated a long time ago now when a completely different style of online game dominated) just wasn't going to cut it. On those terms better to put one in the chest, one in the head, and chalk it up to experience than release a game that would very likely die on its arse.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

It's sad to see happen, but I'd rather they shut it down than release an unfinished shitfest.

Hope all those employees find jobs fast. Layoffs are never good news.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.