Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Goo

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 13, 2008

World of Goo is a critically acclaimed physics-based puzzle game following the travels of a horde of goo balls through a world shadowed by a mysterious corporation. The game was produced and developed by the independent company 2D Boy.

World of Goo birthday results.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai

I think everybody who knows me knows that I love World of Goo and thousands of people also love World of Goo, but the birthday World of Goo In Rainbows style pay whatever you want deal made sure that everyone gets a chance at buying it, even those who don't particularly care for the indie darling of 2008.  And now that deal has come and gone, but now we get charts and tables with stats!  Delicious stats!  

Numbers!  Sweet, sweet numbers!
    Numbers! Sweet, sweet numbers!
    The results are actually pretty positive despite the majority of buyers being cheapskates (except the Swiss.)  About 65% of the purchases were of the Windows version with the remainder split between Mac and Linux, weird.  The average donation increased over time possibly reacting to the amount of money 2D Boy makes or loses per download.  Any purchase under 30 cents was considered a loss, but it appears the average donation was about $2.50 give or take a few cents... they made money. 

And they did us a service and split it by country, too!  Brazil was the most "generous" while the Swiss averaged $5.37 per download, about what the game is worth about now.  Americans were cheap bastards as always, but bad economy... not our fault?  At least we beat Turkey and South Korea. 

They proclaimed it a success and yeah, I can totally see that.  They get tens of thousands of new potential fans and plenty of notoriety for this unorthodox, but unoriginal strategy.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1  Edited By Dalai

I think everybody who knows me knows that I love World of Goo and thousands of people also love World of Goo, but the birthday World of Goo In Rainbows style pay whatever you want deal made sure that everyone gets a chance at buying it, even those who don't particularly care for the indie darling of 2008.  And now that deal has come and gone, but now we get charts and tables with stats!  Delicious stats!  

Numbers!  Sweet, sweet numbers!
    Numbers! Sweet, sweet numbers!
    The results are actually pretty positive despite the majority of buyers being cheapskates (except the Swiss.)  About 65% of the purchases were of the Windows version with the remainder split between Mac and Linux, weird.  The average donation increased over time possibly reacting to the amount of money 2D Boy makes or loses per download.  Any purchase under 30 cents was considered a loss, but it appears the average donation was about $2.50 give or take a few cents... they made money. 

And they did us a service and split it by country, too!  Brazil was the most "generous" while the Swiss averaged $5.37 per download, about what the game is worth about now.  Americans were cheap bastards as always, but bad economy... not our fault?  At least we beat Turkey and South Korea. 

They proclaimed it a success and yeah, I can totally see that.  They get tens of thousands of new potential fans and plenty of notoriety for this unorthodox, but unoriginal strategy.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

I knew those Turks were up to no good.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

Very interesting! And it's nice to see so many people getting to play this great game. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

According to my calculations they made a little over $200,000/US. That's a pretty good birthday party. I paid full price and it was well worth it.

Storphrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Storphrax

I wonder why the Swiss/French people decided to pay so much more than everyone else.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

Those that paid out well have my ample respect.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Cool that they revealed the stats from this whole thing. I am a little disappointed that people didn't spend a little more. I think $10 is definitely a fair price for the game, though I do think it's initial price of $15 was pushing it just a little. Oh well, the good news is that they made money out of the whole thing, so congrats to them.

eyehook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By eyehook

Freakin' Turkey.  Man, Midnight Express, all over again... well, maybe without the drugs, prison, and rape, but still!
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not bad for a game that's basically past its "shelf" life. They also said it raised Wii sales by 9% or something like that even though the offer didn't apply to that version. Initially the Wii held about 60% of the total sales, if I remember right, but I imagine this PC-only stunt skewed the stats further in favor to it, though I wonder how the profit is split since on Wii all sales until now were full price, no bargain deals or pay what you wish.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By flaminghobo
    @rjayb89 said:
    " I knew those Turks were up to no good. "
    Exactly what I would've said!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.