Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Goo

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 13, 2008

World of Goo is a critically acclaimed physics-based puzzle game following the travels of a horde of goo balls through a world shadowed by a mysterious corporation. The game was produced and developed by the independent company 2D Boy.

World of Goo doesn't get a nomination

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne

Although there's categories like "Best Games-As-Art games" and "Best downloadable game"? What the fuck? Braid is awesome, but WoG owns it all over the place.
    In fact, World of Goo owned many of the high budget titles these year. This is pretty much general consensus.

A world of boo from me.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

Braid > World of Goo

also, World of Goo is art?

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Endogene

World of goo is in the users picks though so you can vote on it there. I would have liked to see it one of the official nominations.

Rowr said:

"Braid > World of Goo

also, World of Goo is art?"
    The way it makes your self ask question yeah, especially the later levels. O well stupid argument.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Meowayne

Yes. Of course it is. I regard most videogames people put a lot of thought and creativity in to create something that appeals different to different people using imagery and acustics as works of art. Especially when it's a very little group of people who put a lot of personality and ambition into this work, which in most cases results in something thats not only pretty, but wonderous and interesting and entertains you in ways you might not have known before.
    A single wall texture can be a work of art. Braid is definatly something that has artistic value, as is World of Goo.

Many people would disagree, and thats fine and shouldn't be discussed here, but Braid receiving half a dozen of nominations while World of Goo is completely ignored is quite disappointing.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rowr

yeh lets not open the can of worms, the games of art decision is so 3 months ago :P

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6  Edited By Geno

Literature = art
    Music = art
    Paintings = art
    Movies = art

Video games = all of the above = art

That aside, World of Goo wasn't only one of the best downloadable titles of the year, it was one of the best titles of the year, period. GB's exclusion of even nominating World of Goo can only mean that they didn't play the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Geno said:
    "Literature = art
    Music = art
    Paintings = art
    Movies = art

Video games = all of the above = art

That aside, World of Goo wasn't only one of the best downloadable titles of the year, it was one of the best titles of the year, period. GB's exclusion of even nominating World of Goo can only mean that they didn't play the game."
    I`m not sure if this has anything to do with is, but I believe Jeff had said somewhere he didn`t like the game.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#8  Edited By citizenkane

I watched my game programming teacher play it last semester.  It's looks like a really fun time waster.  I should definitely check it out.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

I've played Braid and World of Goo... I like World of Goo better, but that's just an opinion and it's mine.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

Didn't Jeff already address this in Dalai's thread?

*EDIT*  Yes, yes he did...

Jeff said:
    "Really don't understand all the World of Goo love out there. It's neat and all, but... yeah. Not one of my favorite games of the year."

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Snipzor
    I never really liked WOG that much. I understand why people love it, but at the same time I don't.

Also, Braid in itself is an artform in every aspect. The literal art, the musical compositions, the story, the gameplay. WOG hasn't reached that scale of artistic brilliance. So don't try to compare the two.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "Didn't Jeff already address this in Dalai's thread?
    *EDIT*  Yes, yes he did...

Jeff said:
    "Really don't understand all the World of Goo love out there. It's neat and all, but... yeah. Not one of my favorite games of the year."

"
    Jeff just doesn't like the Wii.
    O TAHTS RITE I WETN THURR.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Dalai

I think you all know my opinion on this one so I'll just head over to the next topic.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By PureRok

World of Goo is very mediocre and doesn't deserve a "Best of" anything.

Edgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Edgar
    PureRok said:
    "World of Goo is very mediocre and doesn't deserve a "Best of" anything."
    Opinion and flagrant flame bait. Please back this statement with reasons as to why you believe it is so bad if you want to contribute to the discussion in a constructive way.

I really liked World of Goo. I'm kind of a fan of puzzlers to begin with, but aside for that I also really enjoyed the visual style and sound. I have yet to play other downloadable games such as Braid or Castle Crashers so I can't really compare it to the other games in the Best Downloadable Game category.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Red

Yeah, I think it derserved at least a nomination. A great game. Played the demo, prolly gonna buy it some time.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the demo. I thought it was quite good, but I just couldn't find a reason to justify spending the $20. I'm just not that much of a puzzle fan, and it seemed to be only slightly a step up for an extremely well-done flash game which I can play for free, though to be fair it seemed like the full version was probably bursting at the seems with content.

As for being the best "game as art"? I can't pretend that I've played every game that came out this year, but just pulling a name out of my ass, I'd give that to GTA IV.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coakroach

Downloading the World of Goo demo now to see what the hooplah is about

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By PureRok
    Edgar said:
    "PureRok said:
    Opinion and flagrant flame bait. Please back this statement with reasons as to why you believe it is so bad if you want to contribute to the discussion in a constructive way.

I really liked World of Goo. I'm kind of a fan of puzzlers to begin with, but aside for that I also really enjoyed the visual style and sound. I have yet to play other downloadable games such as Braid or Castle Crashers so I can't really compare it to the other games in the Best Downloadable Game category."
    How is me saying what I think "flame bait"? I don't think it deserves to be the best of anything as I can think of games in it's (supposed) categories that surpass it. That was my contribution to the discussion. I didn't plan to post anymore, but just because you think what I post is stupid that doesn't mean that it's "flame bait". I said what I meant and I meant what I said without meaning to incite anything. Another thing: Of course what I'm saying is opinion. Everything everyone is saying in here is opinion. Everything everyone says that isn't a fact is an opinion (which is, of course, in itself an opinion).

Also, how about you stop telling me what the fuck to do?
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By coakroach

Okay!
    Demo run is doooooone
    It's pretty good, excellent music, clever gameplay, pretty graphics and a decent art direction
    I haven't played Braid, but time travel does sound more interesting than this

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks

I found WoG to be awesome game, particularly on Wii where the controls really aid the enjoyment factor.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    coakroach said:
    "Okay!
    Demo run is doooooone
    It's pretty good, excellent music, clever gameplay, pretty graphics and a decent art direction
    I haven't played Braid, but time travel does sound more interesting than this"
      yeah WoG is awesome but Braid is something else !
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Time Travel" is what you call "An overused gimmick". It's been around long enough. Time to be honest can call it the "I fucked up" button.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By Geno

I just don't get how Jeff can love Braid and not World of Goo. World of Goo has a higher metacritic rating AND a higher user rating than Braid. Not that metacritic is that important, but World of Goo clearly at least deserved a nomination. I seriously think that Jeff didn't play the game, and just saw a trailer for it or something.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meowayne

Remember, this is Jeff "THPS3 10/10" Gerstman you're talking about.

Excuberance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Excuberance
    Meowayne said:
    "Remember, this is Jeff "THPS3 10/10" Gerstman you're talking about. "

Ouch...

Also, I have waited for the guys to mention WoG in a bombcast for a long time, and was not surprised, but still disappointed, that they didn't give any kind of shout-out for this game when the luchies was dealt out. It even won a spike award ffs... I enjoyed the game immensly, as another critic said: "They take a simple-sounding game-mechanic and take it as far as is possible, with great results".
    The laid back, philosophical story really slow-burned on me, and I was really affected by it. To completely ignore it like this is pretty bad by the GB-crew.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By RHCPfan24

I need to play World of Goo, but I saw someone else play it and it looks very neat, though I don't know if it would beat Braid in my mind. That game is in my Top 5 of the year and it is hard to beat Braid, but I will give it a shot.

Edgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Edgar
    PureRok said:
    "Edgar said:
    "PureRok said:

I really liked World of Goo. I'm kind of a fan of puzzlers to begin with, but aside for that I also really enjoyed the visual style and sound. I have yet to play other downloadable games such as Braid or Castle Crashers so I can't really compare it to the other games in the Best Downloadable Game category."
    How is me saying what I think "flame bait"? I don't think it deserves to be the best of anything as I can think of games in it's (supposed) categories that surpass it. That was my contribution to the discussion. I didn't plan to post anymore, but just because you think what I post is stupid that doesn't mean that it's "flame bait". I said what I meant and I meant what I said without meaning to incite anything. Another thing: Of course what I'm saying is opinion. Everything everyone is saying in here is opinion. Everything everyone says that isn't a fact is an opinion (which is, of course, in itself an opinion).

Also, how about you stop telling me what the fuck to do?"
    Thank you for fleshing out your opinion. I'm sorry if I came across as demanding rather than asking. It is often difficult to interpret someone's tone through their writing and the way I read your previous post made it come across as inciting, for this I apologize. Furthermore I never called your post "stupid" I merely meant to ask what  made you think World of Goo was so mediocre. As for it being your opinion, you're right. There was no need for me to label something so clearly an opinion.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Red

I don't care about how they didn't give World of Goo any awards, I just want them to talk about it and clear up their opinion.

nerouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nerouke

World of goo is so good, should of got nominated for best wii and download game

Bonesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bonesofwar
    nerouke said:
    "World of goo is so good, should of got nominated for best wii and download game"
    Thank you for telling us this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.