Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

Can you spare any tips for a WoW newbie?

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Chocobodude3

Yeah i have not played WoW before which means i suck.  but I am going to try out the free trial soon. any help will be appreciated

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By 02sfraser

There is so many things to learn but my top tip would be loot EVERYTHING and sell what you don't need. You need the gold for pretty much everything, especially new spells.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Akeldama

Stop playing.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Burns098356GX

I recommend the paladin for your class, its an easy class to understand for a new person, your very durable as well.

Loot everything, try to find somebody to make you some free bags to hold more. 

Get some of the quest addons to help you navigate. (QuestHelper)

Don't beg for money.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By adoggz

play a better game, don't be a wow person.

Avatar image for purple_proletarius
    Purple_Proletarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quit while you still have time.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Read the quest text before spamming people to help you, most info or directions you need are in there.

Pick the race/class you like, be sure to try a few, they're all diverse and offer different playstyles.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

Pick a female night elf so you can persuade people to become your own bodyguards for instances and also more than willing to hand you all their gold and gear.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jasta
    @stoodspoon:

I wrote this guide for people who are thinking about jumping into the game. Hope it helps some how.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Fallen189

Don't play a paladin.

Avatar image for cocorodriguez--defunct
    CocoRodriguez--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you do play, play a troll.

Also if you're a guy and you make all your characters female you are creepy and sad.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

download addons for the game, like quest helper, some kind of map quest. i use to play wow with an orc rogue. find a friend or make one when your playing it can be fun chatting with someone while playing. there are plenty of guides out there for everything.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CowMuffins

What's your email?

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Yeah, be my recruit-a-friend buddy! It will give you a free trial and increased EXP!

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MaddProdigy

When I first started out, I had the most fun with a Paladin and a Hunter. Both are fun classes, leveling is quick and easy so you see tons of content, and they both are pretty hard to kill. 
     I also suggest Horde just because I've always been Horde and you get to level in some pretty sweet areas, but I'm sure other than their obvious lack of talent or culture the allies have something cool too.

As for actual gameplay, the MOST IMPORTANT THING you could do while leveling is take all the quests you can and do as many at the same time as possible. For example, say you just walked into a new town. One quest tells you to go and kill 10 spiders. Usually in WoW there is another quest nearby also telling you to pick up 5 of the flowers the spiders live near, and yet another quest will ask you to break 8 people out of cocoons near the spiders nest. So you leave the town, and run through killing spiders, picking up flowers, and breaking people of out cocoons, then run back to town and turn in the 3 quests. 

Also, once you've done every quest in an area there will generally be a quest that sends you to the "next", or at least another, area. It will  say something like "go here and meet this person" or "deliver this package" and then you get to a new quest hub and repeat the above steps. 

Blizzards put in a bunch of quest helping features too, so that's way easy. What I really suggest is getting to 85 and raiding :P

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By laserbolts

loot everything dont ask questions in general or trade chat or you will be trolled.  If someone gives you a hard time about not knowing anything ignore them im confident in saying that about 90% of the wow community are elitist douchebags.  DO NOT ask for gold.  never give your password to anyone and get an authenticator if you can.  If you meet a girl its actually most likely a dude lol

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 02sfraser

A lot of people are recommending to download quest helper but there is a in built quest helper these days. It's spot on since it is made by blizzard themselves. Most things you pick up on the way so don't worry to much.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jack268
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " I recommend the paladin for your class, its an easy class to understand for a new person, your very durable as well.  Loot everything, try to find somebody to make you some free bags to hold more.   Get some of the quest addons to help you navigate. (QuestHelper)  Don't beg for money. "
    QuestHelper has been broken since 4.0.1. The built-in indicators and reading the quest log should be good enough.
    MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MadeinFinland

Run while you still can.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read through the class descriptions and pick one that suits you best. I've played a Hunter since a couple months after the game came out, and I personally can't wrap my head around melee classes. So if I had started with a Warrior, moved to Paladin, then tried Rogue? I probably would have quit 5 years ago. The class descriptions have been updated since Vanilla and tell you everything you need to know to get started. If you find you're not having fun, try another class.

Make sure you read at least part of the quest text. It always tells you where to go and what to do. I'm surprised at how many level 80's can't figure out that they need to use an item that the quest giver gave them, or use a spell or item during combat when the enemy is weakened. Reading the text, even if it's the summary at the bottom, alleviates all of those problems.

As said above, loot everything and sell it. If you think you're going to be worried about gold in the upper levels and want to use the Auctioneer addon or something and play the Auction House, always auction everything that doesn't have a white name. You can also pick up two gathering professions instead of a crafting one (Mining, Herbalism, Skinning) and sell all the materials on the Auction House for very easy gold.

While you can play the game solo, it's not recommended unless you're kind of crazy, like I am. If you don't have any friends playing, then it's easy to find a community guild like the Giant Bomb one or The Instance's AiE (though I'm not sure of the status of AiE since guilds were capped and they were way over the limit.)

Finally, don't listen to nay-sayers. People think it's fun to harp on a game because it's popular and/or has a bad reputation. I would get flamed if I told someone not to play Call of Duty because the community is filled with ignorant douches who take the game too seriously, but it's alright to hate on WoW because of some ignorant douches who take the game too seriously and neglected their lives.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gizmo

Don't be a fucking ninja, or I will report your ass.

CaptainTryHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CaptainTryHard
    @Aronman789:  Or you know you could NOT meet girls through WoW...
    petedee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By petedee

Don't listen to the trolls, WoW is great fun and (these days especially) easy to play casually without ruining your life. I've being playing on and off for about 3 years now so here are a few tips. 

1. As others have said, pick a simple starting class. Hunters and Paladins are good starter characters, Hunters especially since they teach you the basics of aggro management and you get to train some pretty kick ass pets. They can also crowd control extra monsters when you attack too many things at once. 
    2. Go Horde -  Seriously unless you really go for all that valour and honour crap the horde are way more fun, plus you I've found the horde to generally be a bit more accepting of new players.
    3. Learn the stats you use and get gear to match 
    4. Get some friends involved - Its way more fun if you go exploring Azeroth with people you know, it makes questing way easier to :) 
    5. Do multiple quests at once - If you run into an area and there are say 5 or 6 quests available you can pick them all up and run around tackling them in order, the new quest tracker makes it much easier to see where you need to be and what you need to be doing.  
    6. Don't be afraid to ask in the local chat channels if you get stuck, sites such as wowhead.com are also really useful resources.  

Hope this helps :D

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Deusx

I recomend you to not listen to what everybody has to say about specs or quest guides or any of that shit... Just try to enjoy the game, read the tutorials to learn how to play and make new friends. Wow gets boring once you start thinking about how your character is going to look at level 80... There is so much to do on wow. Don't let that make you feel overwhelmed, just enjoy the journey.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @poser said:
    " Post on the official WoW forum.   Because this community is full of trolls. "
    This. Homeboy comes in here asking a serious question and gets a bunch of smart ass answers for no reason.

In any case. Since you have gotten a few good answers, may I also suggest WoW Wiki . Don't try to read everything at once though, just read what you need to know at first (info on your chosen class, finding your way around, game etiquette, etc), and more than likely the other info will fall in line on its own as time goes on.
    Tsarevich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tsarevich

Whichever class and spec you pick, learn which stats you utilize. This will obviously help you gear better and prevent you from looking like a ninja when you take a drop from a boss that doesn't really work for you. Oh yeah, don't just mindlessly mash "need" on drops. Think about it first.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By melcene
    @stoodspoon said:
    " Yeah i have not played WoW before which means i suck.  but I am going to try out the free trial soon. any help will be appreciated "
    1.  Don't beg.  Whether it's for money, for help with a quest, for a port somewhere, or for an instance group.  DO NOT BEG.  That being said, don't be afraid to ask for help either.  Find a join a decent guild that you like and that fits your playstyle. 

2.  Use the Internet and Read.  Whether it's the official forums, Elitistjerks, WoWhead, or whatever - READ.  Read about your class.  Read about the different specs you can be, and read even more about the one you choose.  Read about your role in groups.  Read about instances you'll be going to.  Read about how to complete quests you're unsure of.   This will help you a LOT along the way, and will also 

3.  Learn the Auction House.  People have already said sell everything you get, but here's the thing - a vendor will give you a set value for your item that you sell to him.  On the Auction House, you can most likely make at least twice the vendor value for an item.  Not all items are worth selling on the auction house, but then again, some items can net you a LOT of money on the auction house. 

4.  Group when you can.  Playing your character solo is often different from playing your character in a group because you may be required to do different things in a group setting.  Play in a group when you can so you can learn your role as a group player.  Don't be a person who got to level 85 without ever group and not being sure of their class role. 

Some of the other suggestions in this thread are good, although some are just trolling, as has already been mentioned.  Don't mind the trolls.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By scarace360

get a pc headset if you dont have one. Get some of your friends to play wow with you and go have a fun time.

Xearo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Xearo

Don't choose a PVP server as your first Choice, 
    Wowhead.com bookmark it'll  help 

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sgjackson

I could cover some minutia everyone else will, but the most important thing to make WoW fun is to find a good group of people to hang with.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.