Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

Cataclysm Preview - Protection Warrior

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Edited By Cincaid
    I'm well aware of that the preview posted yesterday is by no means a full list of the changes to come, so this Blog is more of a feedback on the preview itself.

Those of us who keep up-to-date with Cataclysm and its increasing stream of information regarding it have had a couple of really interesting days. I'm of course talking about the class-previews that are being posted this week (except Paladins, for some reason). I'm playing a Protection Warrior myself, and have been doing so since the start of TBC (was a Holy Priest in Vanilla). I barely play any alts, and I consider my main my true character ( Aquene for those interested).

So yesterday the Warrior preview was posted, and it was underwhelming to say the least. I'm glad that Warrior DPS get some focus, but come on. Did almost the entire preview had to focus on that? Three new abilities were posted; Inner Rage, Gushing Wound, and Heroic Leap. The first two abilities are more or less of zero interest for Protection, and while Heroic Leap sounds cool enough, it's usefulness is situational and feels more gimmick than useful per say.

Onwards to changes to abilities and mechanics. Heroic Strike is changed from "on next swing", to an instant attack. I agree that HS needed a change, and time will tell how it'll work for tanking. Sunder Armor is reduced to 3 stacks rather than 5, which feels more like a change to make it easier for Arms/Fury to apply it in case a Prot isn't in the raid. Great. Other than that the preview offer no juicy stuff for Prot.

Next up new talents and changes to current talents. A talent in Fury-tree which, again, will make it easier/better for DPS Warrior to apply Sunder Armor effect. Great, another reason not to bring a Prot. And yes, that's ALL the preview give us regarding talents that affect Prot: a nerf to us.

They also bring up the mastery system, and the only thing worthwhile to mention is the Critical Block mastery. But I'll bet 100g that Paladins will recieve a similar, if not the exact same, mastery in their prot tree. The other mastery, Vengeance, sounds really good. But wait, don't we already have that in our current talent-tree? Sure we do, Improved Defensive Stance! And you're saying all the other tanks will get Vengeance as well? Superb.

I know it's way too early to go emo or complain about stuff, but right now the Warrior preview was a massive slap in the face to Protection, who's already getting benched over Paladins and Druids in ICC hardmodes. I truly and dearly hope we'll see more than this when Beta arrive, otherwise I fear Cataclysm will be a grim expansion for Protection Warriors.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Cincaid
    I'm well aware of that the preview posted yesterday is by no means a full list of the changes to come, so this Blog is more of a feedback on the preview itself.

Those of us who keep up-to-date with Cataclysm and its increasing stream of information regarding it have had a couple of really interesting days. I'm of course talking about the class-previews that are being posted this week (except Paladins, for some reason). I'm playing a Protection Warrior myself, and have been doing so since the start of TBC (was a Holy Priest in Vanilla). I barely play any alts, and I consider my main my true character ( Aquene for those interested).

So yesterday the Warrior preview was posted, and it was underwhelming to say the least. I'm glad that Warrior DPS get some focus, but come on. Did almost the entire preview had to focus on that? Three new abilities were posted; Inner Rage, Gushing Wound, and Heroic Leap. The first two abilities are more or less of zero interest for Protection, and while Heroic Leap sounds cool enough, it's usefulness is situational and feels more gimmick than useful per say.

Onwards to changes to abilities and mechanics. Heroic Strike is changed from "on next swing", to an instant attack. I agree that HS needed a change, and time will tell how it'll work for tanking. Sunder Armor is reduced to 3 stacks rather than 5, which feels more like a change to make it easier for Arms/Fury to apply it in case a Prot isn't in the raid. Great. Other than that the preview offer no juicy stuff for Prot.

Next up new talents and changes to current talents. A talent in Fury-tree which, again, will make it easier/better for DPS Warrior to apply Sunder Armor effect. Great, another reason not to bring a Prot. And yes, that's ALL the preview give us regarding talents that affect Prot: a nerf to us.

They also bring up the mastery system, and the only thing worthwhile to mention is the Critical Block mastery. But I'll bet 100g that Paladins will recieve a similar, if not the exact same, mastery in their prot tree. The other mastery, Vengeance, sounds really good. But wait, don't we already have that in our current talent-tree? Sure we do, Improved Defensive Stance! And you're saying all the other tanks will get Vengeance as well? Superb.

I know it's way too early to go emo or complain about stuff, but right now the Warrior preview was a massive slap in the face to Protection, who's already getting benched over Paladins and Druids in ICC hardmodes. I truly and dearly hope we'll see more than this when Beta arrive, otherwise I fear Cataclysm will be a grim expansion for Protection Warriors.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

Well priests get a NEW HEAL inbetween flash and greater. AND we lose  divine spirit. Excelsior!

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By unclejohnny79
    @Fallen189 said:
    " Well priests get a NEW HEAL inbetween flash and greater. AND we lose  divine spirit. Excelsior! "
    LIFE GRIP!!!!!
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Fallen189
    @unclejohnny79 said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " Well priests get a NEW HEAL inbetween flash and greater. AND we lose  divine spirit. Excelsior! "
    LIFE GRIP!!!!! "
    I do like that actually :P
    unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By unclejohnny79
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @unclejohnny79 said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    LIFE GRIP!!!!! "
    I do like that actually :P "
    i cant wait to get up to some mischief with it
    arca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By arca

I'm really hoping that blizzard whip out a massive buff for warriors at some point during this expansion because I have played a warrior since release and chose it due to the fact that in classic it was the tanking class to choose. Every other class now beats a warrior in both Tanking and DPS, they are pretty much useless. Heck they even get their asses wooped in Player V Player.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @arca said:
    " I'm really hoping that blizzard whip out a massive buff for warriors at some point during this expansion because I have played a warrior since release and chose it due to the fact that in classic it was the tanking class to choose. Every other class now beats a warrior in both Tanking and DPS, they are pretty much useless. Heck they even get their asses wooped in Player V Player. "
    Every WoW player believes that the class they play is underpowered. This is a fact. I play a dual-specced Tank and Fury Warrior, and I excel at both.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I hope Warriors can actually do some decent AoE threat now, because any Druid/DK/Pala will out AoE their threat with half the effort.
    That really turned me off tanking.
    Why would I bother with my geared tanking warrior if my undergeared tanking pala could tank easier.
    Not fun.

arca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By arca
    @Kombat: Pretty sure paladins don't. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.