Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

Experiences in the Cataclsym: Finding Blackrock Caverns

tonezB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By tonezB

What's up Giant Bomb readers? My dad recently got an invite from Blizzard to participate in the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm beta (he was randomly selected from all those who opted into the beta), and as a result I have been able to start exploring the work Blizzard has done so far on the expansion. I am going to blog a bit here on Giant Bomb about my experience with the beta, and give some insight on what I think about the changes and new content Blizzard is adding. Hopefully I can provide some interesting text coverage of the beta, as well as some of my own screen shots. 

Also, this can be anyone who is reading this' opportunity to get first hand info about Cataclysm! Post a comment or send a PM if any of you have questions about the beta or want me to cover specific zones or whatever else you are curious about.

This blog entry is going to be about my journey's to discover the 5 man instance Blackrock Caverns with my dad's level 80 troll priest. I choose to first mess around with his priest as it has substantial gear and I play one myself on retail. After downloading the game as well as various patches and copying the priest over to a test realm, I was ready to start exploring the plethora of new content Blizzard has added as well as the extensive revisions that have been added to vanilla wow. Spawning in Dalaran, I chose to enter the portal going to Orgrimmar as a starting point, and was immediately blown away with what had been changed in the large, horde city.

The changes to Orgrimmar are pretty drastic, as well as neat
    I really enjoyed what Blizzard did with the orc structures in Northrend in the Lich King expansion, and they have decided to make that style the norm for orc structures around the game's world. While I will miss the nostalgia associated with the Warcraft III inspired old design of the orc buildings, the new style is much more detailed and pleasant to look at. While the new Orgrimmar retains many of the same areas that were in the old one, almost the entire city looks completely new. The auction house/bank opening area of the city is now much more open and features goblin (new horde race) auctioneers and bankers. There are a ton of cool new locations in the city such as the polluted and crowded Goblin Slums in which goblin trainers and civilians mill about and a revised version of Valley of Spirits which has an extensive wooden boardwalk which leads to buildings using Wow's traditional troll architecture. The thing I found in the new city that got me the most excited was the new Tauren paladin mount at an area that was dedicated to tauren class trainers and the race's signature totem poles.

Paladin Kodo is awesome
     Paladin Kodo is awesome
    After marveling at what Blizzard had done with Orgrimmar for a while, I decided that I wanted to do one of the new 5 man dungeons. I put my talent points into the holy tree, got the priest's healing gear on, and went to queue for a random Cataclysm dungeon. Unfortunately, it seems that in order to queue for any instance now using the dungeon finder tool now, you must first visit the dungeon's entrance. I think this is a great idea on Blizzard's part as it encourages players to actually explore the game's world rather than just using a matchmaking service for everything. So in order to do the new 5-man dungeons, it seemed I would have to fly to one of or both of the new instances. I chose to make the trek across the old world in order to visit the Blackrock Mountain-housed Blackrock Caverns.

This journey to Blackrock Mountain was made much simpler due to the fact that you can now use flying mounts in the old world. It seems a little weird at first, but it quickly becomes apparent that flying in the old pre- Burning Crusade content is a great addition that is only getting added now instead of earlier because of prior technical limitations with the old content. Even though I was able to speed along on my flying carped, I had to change continents in order to make it to Blackrock Mountain, so I took the Orgrimmar zeppelin to the Undercity, and then began my flight across the Eastern Kingdoms. On my way, I discovered various changes to many familiar zones which were for the most part interesting and exciting. My observations are in no way definitive, as I didn't fly meticulously over all of each zone, but it should give you a good idea of the direction that Blizzard is going in with this expansion.

Brill is looking very nice
    Brill in Tirisfall had its architecture completely changed to the Northrend style that is used in all of the Undead towns in Northrend, similar to what was done to the Orc buildings in Orgrimmar. The city looked much better than its previously human but dilapidated look, and a statue of the Undead leader Sylvanas. The new look may have been partially recycled from what was done in Lich King, and it would have been nice to see completely new styles in terms of the world's architecture, but the new town was slick enough to seem like a great change. After flying over the rest of a largely unchanged Tirisfall Glades, I flew over the Western Plaguelands, which is now a lower level zone (the level of the mobs were in the 30s) and is much greener in terms of the foliage around the zone. There also seem to be a wide variety of human NPCs inheriting the zone, and the ghost town of Andorhall now was full of humans and undead fighting scourge, as well as a new Brill-like town on the outskirts of it.

I flew over Hillsbrad, which seems largely unchanged except for Tarren Mill's own Northrend architecture remake. Tarren Mill now has a handful large towers with four spotlights each which browse around as if looking for enemies attempting to infiltrate the town, and other familiar architectural attributes of Northrend forsaken settlements. Overall, the new town looks awesome, and perhaps the spotlights are Blizzard's sarcastic nod to all of the low level horde player killing that happens in Tarren Mill and Hillsbrad as a whole. If you can see an Alliance coming because of illumination from a spotlight, you are that much more likely to survive...

Damn! That was my favorite lake!
    I flew over Arathi Highlands, which seems largely unchanged, as well as the Wetlands, which has some cool new additions but nothing drastic. A zone that seemed radically different was Loch Modan. The large lake that was central to the zone had been completely drained. The dam that used to hold the lake from flooding into the Wetlands seemed to be demolished. This change seemed completely crazy, and as a result new and awesome. It was a way of effectively turning a zone on its head. Before low level dwarfs and gnomes would have to quest on the islands in or the terrain surrounding the massive lake, now they will be required to slay mobs in the area that occupies the lakes former home! I hope there are more cataclysmic (sorry) changes like this in the expansion, as drastic changes like this lead to what is brand new and exciting content.

Finally, my destination
     Finally, my destination
    After flying over the Badlands, which has some cool additions such as a volcanic looking rift in the middle of the zone which is flanked by raised, lava filled craters, I finally made my way to Blackrock Mountain. I had to travel through searing gorge to make it there, but I am so unfamiliar with the zone that I doubt I could spot any changes. I flew down into the mountain and to the entrance of the Blackrock Caverns instance (which was very hard to find, at some point I broke down and used the internet to find where it was). I had accomplished what I had set out to do, and along the way I was able to see some pretty cool stuff that Blizzard was doing for this expansion.

Thanks for reading, sorry it was so long, hopefully it was informative. If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them. Is there any specific part of the beta that people would like to see me explore? I'm going to try and not overlap Rorcraft as much as possible in what I explore. I think I'm going to try the Blackrock instance, then probably mess around with a Goblin or a Worgen, and what I have seen so far has got my hopes up! 

Here are some screen shots I took

tonezB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By tonezB

What's up Giant Bomb readers? My dad recently got an invite from Blizzard to participate in the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm beta (he was randomly selected from all those who opted into the beta), and as a result I have been able to start exploring the work Blizzard has done so far on the expansion. I am going to blog a bit here on Giant Bomb about my experience with the beta, and give some insight on what I think about the changes and new content Blizzard is adding. Hopefully I can provide some interesting text coverage of the beta, as well as some of my own screen shots. 

Also, this can be anyone who is reading this' opportunity to get first hand info about Cataclysm! Post a comment or send a PM if any of you have questions about the beta or want me to cover specific zones or whatever else you are curious about.

This blog entry is going to be about my journey's to discover the 5 man instance Blackrock Caverns with my dad's level 80 troll priest. I choose to first mess around with his priest as it has substantial gear and I play one myself on retail. After downloading the game as well as various patches and copying the priest over to a test realm, I was ready to start exploring the plethora of new content Blizzard has added as well as the extensive revisions that have been added to vanilla wow. Spawning in Dalaran, I chose to enter the portal going to Orgrimmar as a starting point, and was immediately blown away with what had been changed in the large, horde city.

I really enjoyed what Blizzard did with the orc structures in Northrend in the Lich King expansion, and they have decided to make that style the norm for orc structures around the game's world. While I will miss the nostalgia associated with the Warcraft III inspired old design of the orc buildings, the new style is much more detailed and pleasant to look at. While the new Orgrimmar retains many of the same areas that were in the old one, almost the entire city looks completely new. The auction house/bank opening area of the city is now much more open and features goblin (new horde race) auctioneers and bankers. There are a ton of cool new locations in the city such as the polluted and crowded Goblin Slums in which goblin trainers and civilians mill about and a revised version of Valley of Spirits which has an extensive wooden boardwalk which leads to buildings using Wow's traditional troll architecture. The thing I found in the new city that got me the most excited was the new Tauren paladin mount at an area that was dedicated to tauren class trainers and the race's signature totem poles.

Paladin Kodo is awesome
     Paladin Kodo is awesome
    After marveling at what Blizzard had done with Orgrimmar for a while, I decided that I wanted to do one of the new 5 man dungeons. I put my talent points into the holy tree, got the priest's healing gear on, and went to queue for a random Cataclysm dungeon. Unfortunately, it seems that in order to queue for any instance now using the dungeon finder tool now, you must first visit the dungeon's entrance. I think this is a great idea on Blizzard's part as it encourages players to actually explore the game's world rather than just using a matchmaking service for everything. So in order to do the new 5-man dungeons, it seemed I would have to fly to one of or both of the new instances. I chose to make the trek across the old world in order to visit the Blackrock Mountain-housed Blackrock Caverns.

This journey to Blackrock Mountain was made much simpler due to the fact that you can now use flying mounts in the old world. It seems a little weird at first, but it quickly becomes apparent that flying in the old pre- Burning Crusade content is a great addition that is only getting added now instead of earlier because of prior technical limitations with the old content. Even though I was able to speed along on my flying carped, I had to change continents in order to make it to Blackrock Mountain, so I took the Orgrimmar zeppelin to the Undercity, and then began my flight across the Eastern Kingdoms. On my way, I discovered various changes to many familiar zones which were for the most part interesting and exciting. My observations are in no way definitive, as I didn't fly meticulously over all of each zone, but it should give you a good idea of the direction that Blizzard is going in with this expansion.

Brill in Tirisfall had its architecture completely changed to the Northrend style that is used in all of the Undead towns in Northrend, similar to what was done to the Orc buildings in Orgrimmar. The city looked much better than its previously human but dilapidated look, and a statue of the Undead leader Sylvanas. The new look may have been partially recycled from what was done in Lich King, and it would have been nice to see completely new styles in terms of the world's architecture, but the new town was slick enough to seem like a great change. After flying over the rest of a largely unchanged Tirisfall Glades, I flew over the Western Plaguelands, which is now a lower level zone (the level of the mobs were in the 30s) and is much greener in terms of the foliage around the zone. There also seem to be a wide variety of human NPCs inheriting the zone, and the ghost town of Andorhall now was full of humans and undead fighting scourge, as well as a new Brill-like town on the outskirts of it.

I flew over Hillsbrad, which seems largely unchanged except for Tarren Mill's own Northrend architecture remake. Tarren Mill now has a handful large towers with four spotlights each which browse around as if looking for enemies attempting to infiltrate the town, and other familiar architectural attributes of Northrend forsaken settlements. Overall, the new town looks awesome, and perhaps the spotlights are Blizzard's sarcastic nod to all of the low level horde player killing that happens in Tarren Mill and Hillsbrad as a whole. If you can see an Alliance coming because of illumination from a spotlight, you are that much more likely to survive...

I flew over Arathi Highlands, which seems largely unchanged, as well as the Wetlands, which has some cool new additions but nothing drastic. A zone that seemed radically different was Loch Modan. The large lake that was central to the zone had been completely drained. The dam that used to hold the lake from flooding into the Wetlands seemed to be demolished. This change seemed completely crazy, and as a result new and awesome. It was a way of effectively turning a zone on its head. Before low level dwarfs and gnomes would have to quest on the islands in or the terrain surrounding the massive lake, now they will be required to slay mobs in the area that occupies the lakes former home! I hope there are more cataclysmic (sorry) changes like this in the expansion, as drastic changes like this lead to what is brand new and exciting content.

Finally, my destination
     Finally, my destination
    After flying over the Badlands, which has some cool additions such as a volcanic looking rift in the middle of the zone which is flanked by raised, lava filled craters, I finally made my way to Blackrock Mountain. I had to travel through searing gorge to make it there, but I am so unfamiliar with the zone that I doubt I could spot any changes. I flew down into the mountain and to the entrance of the Blackrock Caverns instance (which was very hard to find, at some point I broke down and used the internet to find where it was). I had accomplished what I had set out to do, and along the way I was able to see some pretty cool stuff that Blizzard was doing for this expansion.

Thanks for reading, sorry it was so long, hopefully it was informative. If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them. Is there any specific part of the beta that people would like to see me explore? I'm going to try and not overlap Rorcraft as much as possible in what I explore. I think I'm going to try the Blackrock instance, then probably mess around with a Goblin or a Worgen, and what I have seen so far has got my hopes up! 

Here are some screen shots I took

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By mwng

Enjoyed the read! Priest player here too! Just wondering if you were enjoying the changes to the class and if you felt it was much different to play, assuming you were holy specced in retail too.

Also looking forward to a write up on your experiences in the 5 mans!

tonezB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tonezB
    @mwng:  Holy has been really fun so far. The new Heal/Flash Heal/Greater Heal designs make direct healing seem more dynamic (instead of just using flash heal), and PoM and Circle of Healing all still seem powerful. The biggest change is the Chakra cool down, which essentially lets you choose to make either Lesser Heal, Prayer of Healing/Circle of Healing, Renew or Smite/other damage spells more effective for a one minute period. This was super effective on boss fights in the two new five mans in which AoE healing became the focus or single tank healing. I think it will make raiding for holy interesting as we will have to know each boss fight in order to properly manage this cool down.

Messed around with disc a little bit as well, the Archangel smite-makes-heals-better mechanic is also really fun, though it was hard to get 5 smites in during some more intense boss fights in order to trigger the buff. Hopefully during 85 raiding this it will be easier to get to the 5 smite point. Overall, priest is feeling really fun, especially compared to the short amount of time I spent with a pre-made resto druid. I'll post up my experiences healing Blackrock Caverns soon, overall it is a decent instance which seems way better than the first instances were in Northrend!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.