Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

Fighting the Urge

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Edited By Cincaid

Yes, another one of "those" blogs. The kind of blog where a sad human being tells the world that he, as well, was hooked on that godforsaken drug. I'm speaking of course of World of Warcraft.

I played pretty much without pause since the closed Beta in 2005 (or was it 2004? The years flew by). That's a long fucking time to spend on a single videogame. I played hardcore, even if I had my characters on one of those awful RP realms. I was hated by the roleplayers for not being "roleplayer enough" (whatever that meant, it wasn't like I was standing in Orgrimmar spamming lol all day), but I didn't care. I had my RP outfits and shit in the Bank for when they were needed. I enjoyed "server first" (IE, my Guild killed the major shit before anyone else did), my epics, my legendaries, and all that. I had a blast.

I'm also one of those who firmly believed that the game got only better with each update and patch. I didn't give two shits if my class got "nerfed" or if someone else was "OP". I had a great time, and I thoroughly (boy, hard word to spell for a Swede) thought that both Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King were both excellent expansions.

Then shit hit the fan. One day, while doing my usual dailies, I noticed myself being bored. Really bored. All WoW-players get it every now and then, the feeling that you just want to turn the shit off and relax in the couch with your console, or go out to pick flowers, or do your laundry, or whatever. My guild was doing awesome progress in Icecrown with the hardmodes and everything. Our gear made players weep when they saw us. Our mounts were so shiny they made the sun pale in comparision. Sadly, we also lost a lot of key members over the years. People were getting married, getting kids, and myself got girlfriend who didn't understand WoW nor would she ever.

So that day I said goodbye to WoW and my Guild. They didn't hate or resent me, even if I was the main tank and class leader since four years. They wished me luck, and I uninstalled WoW for the first time since its release. Shortly after the Guild disbanded, and everyone went their merry way. Don't know if it was my fault, but I doubt it.

The urge is kicking in. I'm fucking jonesing over here. I haven't played WoW, or even given it much thought, in the past months. But with Cataclysm around the corner I'm seriously weighing in the option to pick it up again. Just find an awesome Guild somewhere who'd want me and jump right back into the jungle.

I'm fighting a losing war. The urge is overwhelming.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Cincaid

Yes, another one of "those" blogs. The kind of blog where a sad human being tells the world that he, as well, was hooked on that godforsaken drug. I'm speaking of course of World of Warcraft.

I played pretty much without pause since the closed Beta in 2005 (or was it 2004? The years flew by). That's a long fucking time to spend on a single videogame. I played hardcore, even if I had my characters on one of those awful RP realms. I was hated by the roleplayers for not being "roleplayer enough" (whatever that meant, it wasn't like I was standing in Orgrimmar spamming lol all day), but I didn't care. I had my RP outfits and shit in the Bank for when they were needed. I enjoyed "server first" (IE, my Guild killed the major shit before anyone else did), my epics, my legendaries, and all that. I had a blast.

I'm also one of those who firmly believed that the game got only better with each update and patch. I didn't give two shits if my class got "nerfed" or if someone else was "OP". I had a great time, and I thoroughly (boy, hard word to spell for a Swede) thought that both Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King were both excellent expansions.

Then shit hit the fan. One day, while doing my usual dailies, I noticed myself being bored. Really bored. All WoW-players get it every now and then, the feeling that you just want to turn the shit off and relax in the couch with your console, or go out to pick flowers, or do your laundry, or whatever. My guild was doing awesome progress in Icecrown with the hardmodes and everything. Our gear made players weep when they saw us. Our mounts were so shiny they made the sun pale in comparision. Sadly, we also lost a lot of key members over the years. People were getting married, getting kids, and myself got girlfriend who didn't understand WoW nor would she ever.

So that day I said goodbye to WoW and my Guild. They didn't hate or resent me, even if I was the main tank and class leader since four years. They wished me luck, and I uninstalled WoW for the first time since its release. Shortly after the Guild disbanded, and everyone went their merry way. Don't know if it was my fault, but I doubt it.

The urge is kicking in. I'm fucking jonesing over here. I haven't played WoW, or even given it much thought, in the past months. But with Cataclysm around the corner I'm seriously weighing in the option to pick it up again. Just find an awesome Guild somewhere who'd want me and jump right back into the jungle.

I'm fighting a losing war. The urge is overwhelming.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gizmo

I have a blast with WoW until I hit the maximum level, then I just get completely bored out of my mind. 

For the record though, I will be resubscribing.

marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By marrec

Everytime I get the urge I remember that I'd be paying 40 bucks to get an unpayed second job, then subsequently have to pay 15 dollars a month just to go to this job.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By commandercup

Get back into it if you weren't completely addicted to it before. As long as it doesn't interfere with your life, it's a fine game to play.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cincaid
    @commandercup: 
    It didn't interfere with my daily routine per say. My girlfriend didn't hate it especially much, and I never cancelled plans with friends or family to be able to play. However, since I do think WoW is best enjoyed when raiding and doing all there is to do, I didn't have time for much else on my spare time. Playing other games or watching movies kind of had to be put aside, since I was raiding 4 evenings per week.

I'm really torn apart what to do, as it's a game I really want to play, but at the same time I wish I didn't. I guess most subscribers feel the same.
    Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Brunchies

I resubscribed, the results won't be good. I think a break is what everyone who plays an mmo needs so if you want to play and it won't affect your life majorly, go for it.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Supermarius
    @CrazyChris said:
    " @commandercup: 
    It didn't interfere with my daily routine per say. My girlfriend didn't hate it especially much, and I never cancelled plans with friends or family to be able to play. However, since I do think WoW is best enjoyed when raiding and doing all there is to do, I didn't have time for much else on my spare time. Playing other games or watching movies kind of had to be put aside, since I was raiding 4 evenings per week.

I'm really torn apart what to do, as it's a game I really want to play, but at the same time I wish I didn't. I guess most subscribers feel the same. "
    try to remember that when you play WoW as a raider, that you effectively stop being a gamer. Because it uses all of your freetime you dont have time or the inclination to play anything else and you miss out on all the other cool game experiences that come out in a given year.  Also keep in mind that no matter how hard you work or how much you play, someone will allways have better gear than you and the guild/guilds you care so much about will allways eventually dissolve from infighting, also consider all of the things put into the game intentionally to waste your time (rep grinds, badge runs, dailies, grinding for special mounts/pets, holiday achievements) and let yourself get upset that blizzard is intentionally using your own brain chemistry against you to keep you paying and playing forever.
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By commandercup
    @Supermarius I don't think it matters if the game is effectively taking advantage of you as long as you're having fun. On that same note, even if you'll never be the best, you can always try. You might not be the best soccer player, but you might still play for fun.
    PixieNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By PixieNinja

So I ask you this - why fight it? 

If it's given you so much in the past, and you're eager to toy with the new stuff it has to offer, why not grab it in December and jump back in? Just approach it with a fresh perspective, and whilst it never really impacted upon the rest of your life as such, just consider the other games you like to experience now too, and don't let it become the one and only game in your life. 

It can all be down to the attitude of the guild you wind up settling with - if you can find one with a relaxed raid schedule that isn't too hardcore, then that might be all you need. If you find yourself craving more, then you just have to weigh up which it is that gives you more enjoyment. Don't let it become like a job, make sure it gives as much as it takes. 

As I mentioned to you over XBOX Live yesterday, I'm in a peculiar place in the game in that my own experiences with WoW are pretty much as a duo alongside my girlfriend. When I first started playing years ago, I hooked up with a guild pretty quickly, but I just couldn't invest the same amount of time as the core members could, and I wasn't solely interested in constantly levelling - I wanted to experience the stories that Azeroth had to offer, and to explore. After a short hiatus from the game, I came back to discover that the guild was no more, and I haven't been in one since, other than signing charters. It's rare for me to come across many people in the game that seem friendly and helpful, and so I miss out on so much that guild play can offer. Perhaps it's just my server, or perhaps I just haven't bumped into the right people. It can feel like a lonely place at times, and I expect it to become even moreso as I push into the late 70s and begin to wonder what my options are. 

But anyway, I digress - this is about you, not me! Go order it, indulge your desires...
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cincaid
    @RiotBananas said:
    " People that imply WoW is a life killer are exaggerating.  Please stop it, you sound like dicks. "
    Thanks for your input.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.