Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

First Instance of the new expansion

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Edited By melcene

So over the holiday weekend, the husband and I ran our first instance of the new expansion.  He ran his warrior tank and I ran my holy priest.  We make a pretty damn good team.  So our instance was the only new one I know how to get to at this point - Blackrock Caverns

No Caption Provided

Upon first glance, it looks very Blackrock-ish.  However the mobs are different than what you may be used to from BRD, BRS, MC, and BWL.  Most of these mobs are part of the Twilight Hammer cult. 

But I could immediately see what people were saying about how the instances have changed.  I was SOOO glad that my husband has always been a smart, careful tank, rather than a "let me pull everything in sight and you guys better keep me healed and aoe it all down" type tank.  Smart and careful is how things must be played now.  Instances can't be steamrolled anymore.  Sometimes CC is called for.  Sometimes kiting is called for.  Sometimes los pulling is necessary.   I'm digging it personally!

I've seen a lot of people on the WoW forums complaining about this sort of gameplay.  They don't want to bother spending an hour, or even two, running an instance.  It should only take 20 minutes to steamroll through a place.  They don't like these stupid "games" that each boss has about how they need to be taken out.  They're not interested in strategy or teamwork or people knowing their roles.  They're only interested in hurrying up, getting it done, and getting on to something else. 

Well, as to our experience, we did wipe once on a boss on our first run, but easily beat him after the hubby and I got a plan of attack together.  We went on to kick ass the rest of the instance.  I ended up with some new loots.  Some was total dps'er gear, but still waaay better than anything I had for healing.

Interestingly enough, the second time we tried that place over the weekend, the group failed miserably.  One of the fights requires a couple people besides the tank to do some stuff, and no one was willing to do it even though we had talked about it all.  So we kept dying.  Of course people end up either logging out or leaving the group, without saying a word.  Teamwork is definitely needed in these new dungeons, and I'm glad the game has come back to that.  And people that can't be bothered to either learn how to play their class past PEW PEW, or learn how to cooperate with others can just jump off a cliff. 
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By melcene

So over the holiday weekend, the husband and I ran our first instance of the new expansion.  He ran his warrior tank and I ran my holy priest.  We make a pretty damn good team.  So our instance was the only new one I know how to get to at this point - Blackrock Caverns

No Caption Provided

Upon first glance, it looks very Blackrock-ish.  However the mobs are different than what you may be used to from BRD, BRS, MC, and BWL.  Most of these mobs are part of the Twilight Hammer cult. 

But I could immediately see what people were saying about how the instances have changed.  I was SOOO glad that my husband has always been a smart, careful tank, rather than a "let me pull everything in sight and you guys better keep me healed and aoe it all down" type tank.  Smart and careful is how things must be played now.  Instances can't be steamrolled anymore.  Sometimes CC is called for.  Sometimes kiting is called for.  Sometimes los pulling is necessary.   I'm digging it personally!

I've seen a lot of people on the WoW forums complaining about this sort of gameplay.  They don't want to bother spending an hour, or even two, running an instance.  It should only take 20 minutes to steamroll through a place.  They don't like these stupid "games" that each boss has about how they need to be taken out.  They're not interested in strategy or teamwork or people knowing their roles.  They're only interested in hurrying up, getting it done, and getting on to something else. 

Well, as to our experience, we did wipe once on a boss on our first run, but easily beat him after the hubby and I got a plan of attack together.  We went on to kick ass the rest of the instance.  I ended up with some new loots.  Some was total dps'er gear, but still waaay better than anything I had for healing.

Interestingly enough, the second time we tried that place over the weekend, the group failed miserably.  One of the fights requires a couple people besides the tank to do some stuff, and no one was willing to do it even though we had talked about it all.  So we kept dying.  Of course people end up either logging out or leaving the group, without saying a word.  Teamwork is definitely needed in these new dungeons, and I'm glad the game has come back to that.  And people that can't be bothered to either learn how to play their class past PEW PEW, or learn how to cooperate with others can just jump off a cliff. 
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

you nailed it, without teamwork its impossible to find good groups.
    Now as a healer/tank that ain't too bad with <5min queue's, but queuing for 40 minutes as DPS and getting into a group that sucks or disbands because of some arguement...that just blows.

I love WoW, but I'm not paying 12,99 to put up with these fools anymore, most of my guild also agrees since its kinda sad if you can't play a MMO with other people then your friends.
    So if they ain't online, there's not much to do (Questing/pvping gets old too!).

Sigh, will internet people ever learn to play nice? :/

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By hexx462

So far I'm thrilled with the instance changes. Wrath of the Lich King 5-mans were far too easy in my opinion, to the point where there was nothing new to learn or even think about while running them. Since I play as a mage I'm so psyched to be using polymorph again, it's such a great feeling to actually be doing something besides just spamming my DPS rotations. Though I tend only to run instances with guildmates and friends since trying to get stranges to pay attention and assume their roles is maddening.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By stinky

i think you forget how long lich king has been out, those instances did require teamwork when they first came out. 
    thats the nature of WoW, soon this new dungeon will become a cakewalk as well due to the advancement of gear. 

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By melcene
    @hexx462 said:
    " So far I'm thrilled with the instance changes. Wrath of the Lich King 5-mans were far too easy in my opinion, to the point where there was nothing new to learn or even think about while running them. Since I play as a mage I'm so psyched to be using polymorph again, it's such a great feeling to actually be doing something besides just spamming my DPS rotations.   
     Exactly.   I'm really enjoying these new changes to instances.
     Though I tend only to run instances with guildmates and friends since trying to get stranges to pay attention and assume their roles is maddening. "
    Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury.  We run on a different server than most of our friends.  We have a different playstyle than most of our friends.  We like to take things slow and careful, and enjoy the game along the way.  They're always in a rush, including in instances, and its gotten us killed before.  As for guildies, when we recently returned to the game, the guild we were in was now defunct, so we just put all our toons in our bank guild.  So we have 20 toons in the guild... but just 2 active accounts lol.  Unfortunately, that makes guild leveling slooooow.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By melcene
    @stinky said:
    "  i think you forget how long lich king has been out, those instances did require teamwork when they first came out. thats the nature of WoW, soon this new dungeon will become a cakewalk as well due to the advancement of gear.  "
    I agree to an extent.   I remember how difficult heroics were in early Wrath.  I remember how long it took my guild to FINALLY completely heroic UP, or to finally complete a heroic, period.

With some of the new heroics, especially those that became heroics of oldschool stuff like Blackwing Lair, there is almost no getting around the strategies that must be used.  I remember doing old school Blackwing Lair in my 70s with a bunch of other people.... I think we had about 20 people, and we got punked when we got to Firemaw, and even before then it was tough and required people at least have some clue. 

However, I do fear that you may be right.  After all, people were steamrolling Naxx and Ulduar before Cata came out... and those had tough fights that had to be done a certain way (Four Horsemen comes to mind). 

I guess we can only wait and see.  But in the meantime, I'm glad that they made people learn to do their jobs again. 
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hexx462
    @stinky: They really weren't that tough though. A few choice heroics had some difficult spots but it didn't take long at all to learn how to steamroll them. Especially when compared to original WoW and BC.

@melcene: Not having a good core group to play with is rough. I'm fortunate enough to play in a large casual guild where no one is required to raid or run instances. It's a great environment to play in and there's never any sense of burnout due to the relaxed attitude.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By jacksukeru

Man, a friend and I used to play together as a Paladin/Priest team during Lich King, Most fun I've ever had with the game. The best part was that if any of the dps's whined because they thought my Hp was too low or whatever we could just kick 'em and get a new one in five seconds.

I haven't played any instances, or a lot of anything in the new expansion 'cause the guy I used to play with dropped off the face of the earth (I think he might be dead). 

To bad too since I wouldn't mind doing some more challenging instances as a tank.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.