Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

How come so many people Love this game?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

I've been hearing about this game for years now.It seems like it never gets old for people.Would someone care to explain whats special about this game?

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By PhatSeeJay

For me it's for the group experience really. I love sitting in a voice chat convo with my guildies while we do some dungeons or quest or do guild related things. 

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Massive world filled with quests, exploration, classes, races, professions, instances and battlegrounds.

The real draw for me is the group experience.
    I've been playing with my cousin for 6 years now together on WoW.
    Wouldn't have sticked without him probably.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Nasos100
    @falserelic: it stopped being cool to hate it
    Darkraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Darkraven

hc 25 man raids with half drunken finnish people laughing our asses off at ice tomb fails <3 what else is there to say? :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

How come so many people love Heroin? 

I'm kidding, it's obviously a very satisfying game to play. The persistance of the online world makes it very attractive. I've never played it because I'm scared of getting addicted.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By jacksukeru

I'd say it definelty gets old for some people, but then it sticks around and changes a few things and after a while people remember why they liked it and they go back. 

For me, I really liked playing PallyTank, PriestHealer combo with my friend, it was never a problem to get a group together for a dungeon and if someone was being an asshole, you could just tell them to eff off. 
    I also really like how the classes all feel different. I can be invisible, or I can heal, or I can fight 5 guys at once.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By 02sfraser

It's hard to explain. Everything from the massive number of quests, areas to explore, the characters, raids, design, flawless gameplay etc. So much keeps pulling me back for more but until you have actually played it, you can't really understand.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By falserelic

I'm surprised that alot of fans still love this game.This game must be really good, if people loved it for this long.I wonder why the developers hasn't made a sequel yet.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gizmo
    @falserelic said:
    " I'm surprised that alot of fans still love this game.This game must be really good, if people loved it for this long.I wonder why the developers hasn't made a sequel yet. "
    This is one of the best things about P.C gaming, they don't need to make a paid sequel because they have the means to do HUGE updates for free, like the recent Shattering update.
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By falserelic

@Gizmo: Thinking about it,what are some of the improvements in Cataclysm?

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By raiz265
    @falserelic said:
    "    @Gizmo: Thinking about it,what are some of the improvements in Cataclysm? "
    guild leveling and -achievement system 
    class talent trees completely remodeled 
    no more difference in loot between 10 and 25 man raids (<3) 
    the old level 1-60 leveling zones have been greatly improved imho (some of the zones have been nearly completely rebuilt) 
    introduction of rated battlegrounds 
    a new profession 
    2 new races 
    awesome new zones to level from 80-85
    Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Mars_Cleric
    @falserelic:
    I'd say the main reason is the support and updates that blizzard has for it. 
    without that people would have gotten sick of it by now.
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By falserelic
    @raiz265: Wow thats a huge update.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By coaxmetal
    @zudthespud said: 

" How come so many people love Heroin?

Actually, I don't have anything against the game itself, i'm sure its fine, but I know too many people who do nothing but talk about it, who call in sick to play it, their whole schedule revolves around their virtual character, and its just disgusting.
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By falserelic
    @dudeglove said:
    " inb4 someone else.

"
    O my!!!!
    Clbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By Clbull
    @falserelic said:
    " I've been hearing about this game for years now.It seems like it never gets old for people.Would someone care to explain whats special about this game? "
    The game's mechanics are pretty damn good.
    The social aspect of the game is very good if you find a nice guild of friends to play with.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Clbull said:
    " @falserelic said:
    " I've been hearing about this game for years now.It seems like it never gets old for people.Would someone care to explain whats special about this game? "
    The game's mechanics are pretty damn good. The social aspect of the game is very good if you find a nice guild of friends to play with. "
    yeah what he said, theres always ignorant haters, but its just great, the only thing i hate about it is that its too great that it addicts you to hell. Its only easy to leave if you have no friends and no voice chatting guild, otherwise its like leaving the girl you love. 
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Burns098356GX

The concept of the game, when it came out at least, was pretty new. Blizzard didn't invent MMO's but they really did define them.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By falserelic
    @gamefreak9: LOL! sounds like cocaine the way people describe this game,it must be good.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CptBedlam
    @falserelic: Simple: addiction.
    Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Bigrhyno

The amount of content that you get for your money is unrivaled in video games. During the periods that I play World of Warcraft, I spend significantly less money during that time because I am not buying every game that comes out that I am interested in because I have a lot to do in WoW.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tunaburn

I played for my free month. It was fun enough. But i cant see paying 15 a month for just that one game when i can play all the games i want online for $60 a year on my xbox.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By falserelic
    @hhn956: I've seen you post this so many times you must be desperate to scam someone. 
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Renahzor

A few things help a lot.

They always add new content.  Every 8-10 months there's a new top end raid instance, and a re-work of the existing content to be a little easier and more accessible to the mainstream players.   Expansions add more content alone than most RPGs could dream of putting in a complete game. For example, adding to the list made above for cataclysm improvements:

5 completely new, and very large zones
    Level cap raised from 80 to 85
    A few new spells for every class along the way
    Addition of new instances and raids as per every expansion

WoW has evolved.  Blizzard has enough financial backing through this game to make whatever they want, but wow is still selling subscriptions and expansions at an INSANE rate, so the need for a sequel is diminished.  They add minor refinements and major overhauls which draw old players back from time to time, like me.  They're some of the best at "easy to pickup, hard to master" gameplay.  There's always, *always* a carrot to chase for any normal player, you'll never actually do everything in the game unless you play more than is healthy.  That keeps people playing, and keeps them happy with the content available. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's just an impeccably designed MMO. It's packed with well-made features, it's got great environments, there's lots of content, and the way the areas, NPCs, quests, levels, and achievements are laid out it means the whole thing really hooks you and keeps the game flowing from one thing to the next. One of the smartest things WoW does though is that it subtly teaches you that to get the best out of the game you need to work with other people, and then keeps you playing by getting you caught up in a social environment.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Wonderful lore 
    Great looking 
    Massive 
    Thousands of things to do 
    Tons of people to play with 
    constantly adding to it 
    plays well 
    its just fun, and theres a lot to see and do.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By melcene
    @RockmanBionics said:
    " I'd say it definelty gets old for some people, but then it sticks around and changes a few things and after a while people remember why they liked it and they go back. 
    This is a truly great line.  I've been playing on and off since the original beta.  I probably take a break of at least 3 months long and come back every year or more.  I do the same with other MMOs too.  I've been back to Horizons 2 or 3 times, EQ several times, EQ2 twice, Warhammer online twice, etc etc.  But the biggest thing with WoW is that there is SO much to do.
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hexx462

The evolving nature of the game that as been brought up several times in this post keeps it fun. Blizzard has made some great decisions with the game and while it is still very much an MMO they have removed lot of annoying tropes that that made the genre a drag to play. It offers a lot for every type of gamer whether you're a hardcore or casual player.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By melcene
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " The concept of the game, when it came out at least, was pretty new. Blizzard didn't invent MMO's but they really did define them. "
    Yes and no.  Definitely not new.  EQ had been out for 5 years, and its successor, EQ2, had been released just before WoW.  WoW didn't define MMOs at all.  What it DID do though was that it brought them to a wider market through both marketing/advertising, and through simplification of the genre.  WoW was (still is) an MMO where anyone who plays can reach the level cap with limited effort.  Previously, MMOs required a LOT of time and effort to reach the level cap in their games, let alone raid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.