Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

How much to get started?

PeepingTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By PeepingTommy

I think I'm ready to start playing WoW.  
    I went to the shop to buy Cataclysm and despite the subscription fees, I was fully prepared to pay the £25 for it but when I looked at the box I see I need to buy all previous versions of it as well. I turned it down in the end not sure how much I'd end up spending. 

What is the cheapest way to get all sets and get started? 

Thanks for the help. 

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Rehehelly
    @PeepingTommy: Vanilla wow is £5.99, BC is £6.49, WoTLK is £17.99 and Cata is £24.99 = £55.46  

Pretty sure vanilla wow will come with a months free game time, expansions do not however. If vanilla wow doesn't come with game time.. then you'd be paying an extra £8.99 on top bringing the total to £64.45.  All of those found deals bar the game time found on play.com btw.  
    You also cannot buy the game used.  
    It may seem expensive, but WoW has given me well over a year or so of enjoyment (Although i've stopped playing now baha) so it's a worthy investment imo. It's like what, 1.5 new xbox games?  
    Before you do commit to that much money though, make sure you use the 10day free trial. 
    Rhode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Rhode

Yeah, try out the trial. Takes about 30 minutes to get in game depending on your connection. After that, you can just upgrade your character into a retail version one so you don't actually lose any progress you made. I'd say you should just buy the vanilla WoW (or the battle chest) after the trial if you're going to continue. You'll get the cataclysm-vanilla content "for free" without risking any money by paying for 3 expansions before you're adequate level to explore it. Only thing you'll miss are the new races. That's how I've understood this whole grand scheme of things anyway.

https://eu.battle.net/account/creation/wow/signup/

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Oni

Vanilla WoW will sort you until level 60 and the new low-level stuff Cata introduced is folded into that as well.

AdH0c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By AdH0c

Like Rhode said try the free trial then if you like it get the battle chest. It has the main game and the first expansion. Amazon (UK) are doing it for £7.
    Avatar image for great__defunct__northern
    Great__defunct__Northern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

No need to buy all the expansions up front. Just roll a Vanilla race and level to 60. If you still like it, grab the expansions in order. 

Killboyy777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Killboyy777

^ this

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.