How will you level to 85?

#1 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -

I was slow to get TBC and Wotlk, so I never experienced launch day or even launch week. My experience from 60-70 and 70-80 was quite pleasant, as zones were pretty much empty. Anyway, what do you guys think will be the fastest way to level? With everyone fighting over quest mobs, do you think dungeon grinding will be the way to go? Also, what is the zone progression for this expac?

#2 Posted by grgg (5 posts) -
@plop1920: Dungeon experience was recently nerfed so players could run a dungeon or two and not out level all the quests in their quest log. However if you are specced as a tank this still might be faster than the slower than dps killing of mobs for normal questing. Hyjal is the better zone to start leveling in, its much larger and Vashj'ir is very linear with a bunch of very very annoying collection quests at the beginning. I don't know where to go after that.
#3 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1327 posts) -

You can get 25 daily quests and finish them right now, then wait until the cap is raised and turn them in for alot of xp.

#4 Posted by Baziel (40 posts) -

I will wait at least a week to start playing the expansion so that the first couple of zones are not as crowded anymore. This way the leveling might actually be enjoyable.

#5 Posted by EpicSteve (6471 posts) -

There are leveling guides out there that show the best zones to go about leveling. Obviously just doing quests is the answer.

#6 Edited by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

When I first started playing the game, I leveled by killing mobs. I told myself I would never grind like that again, and since then I've always quested.  Recently I've gotten into the lore more than before, and I've been reading everything, quests, books, etc.  I will probably level this way, because I find it much more enjoyable.  I've heard the horror stories of how bad it is when the expansions come out, but that's not been the case for me.  Everything seems to run OK with a few hicups along the way, but overall it's still awesome.  I wouldn't be surprised if you find that all the talk about how bad launch day can be was overstated.

#7 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -

Questing will be the path I take, to me it's about seeing the new content. I'll get an ass-full of all the instances after I've hit 85 and my alts can do more instance leveling once the shininess of the new stuff has worn off. Will probably stick to leveling one of my alts in Azeroth since the new areas will be jam packed in the first week.

#8 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

I will level in a drunken sleepy, yet determined state, and do it before my roommate does- I swear it.

#9 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

Pay someone to do it for me. 

On second thought I hate this game so maybe I shouldn't do that...

#10 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

I don't really have a plan but I'm not into grinding my levels, I'm in the game to have fun.

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Try to quest, give up, do instances, give up, level archeology, give up, level my Druid through Northrend^^.

It's gonna be way too crowded probably!

#12 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

I'm going to wait a week or two at least before touching any of my 80s, and just work on some of my lower toons in the less crowded zones.

#13 Edited by Marz (5642 posts) -

probably will just do quests while i queue for the dungeons, need to get that loot!    need to get those blues that are way better than my lvl277 heroic icecrown epics.

#14 Posted by Warchief (651 posts) -

here is my plan. I want to do something right out of the gate that is "new" so i am rolling a Goblin and hitting the starting area first. The Two starting Zones for 80 - 85 are small, and heavy on the instancing so it will be a nightmare / frustrating for a couple of days.  
I know the Goblin zone will be packed [al la Day 1 Troll Druids] but at least I can split if things get to annoying.  
My advice, find something to do other than level your 80 toon for a little bit, or if you NEED to do some 80 to 85 leveling Q up in the PUG finder for the new starting 5-man.  

#15 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

In the beta the questing was faster in Hyjal than Vashjir, but Hyjal has more "kill this named mob" quests making for some bottlenecks, as well as some mini-bosses that semi-required grouping up.  Deepholme has a little of both, and Uldum is so phased that you feel like you're all alone doing quests.  Twilight Highlands has a large mix of leveling and endgame content making it confusing, and when I was leveling it still was unpopulated so I don't know the specifics of the quest types.

The biggest difference is the ability to fly while leveling from day 1.  It's going to make the kill stealing even more rampant since people can just hover over a spot and drop in to tag a mob - especially druids.

#16 Posted by mikeeegeee (1552 posts) -

Damn, the ONE thing I miss about WoW was playing the game during the first few weeks of an expansion release. My best memories of the game were the first days of TBC. The best world PVP you can imagine. Constantly typing /who 70 to see if anyone on my realm had made it. Exploring all the new content with friends and finding upgrades everywhere. Water elemental. Fuuuuuuuuck have fun, I'm jealous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.