Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

Im downloading updates to WoW and im doing a 9gb update....why?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Ok, so I currently dont have any time on my WoW account, so I cant play the game. But im thinking about getting into it again shortly, so I wanted to do my Updates now to get it over with. Ive done a few msallish one, and now im doing a 9.2 GB download. WTF? I see the Cataclysm art on the launcher, and now its doing a downlaod where the bar says Setup, available and playable. What is this? Why am I doing a 9.3gb download? I didnt pay for anything, so I dont know what this could be. Anyone know? Am i Downlaoding the Expansion or something even though I havent paid anything for anything? Also, I should say that next to the bar thats filling up theirs a Play button, so im not sure what this download is doing.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

Because World of Warcraft is crack, heroin and Valium all mixed onto a disc.  You will download anything to even mentions its name.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

Really hating this constant joke of "Oh god, I'm going down the spiral that is WoW!" I've avoided the game ever since it came out and I've never been drawn to it once. 

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ravensword
    @gakon5:

How do I check which update I have?
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By august

Er... didn't they remodel the entire world?

Ghostbuster123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ghostbuster123

I'm thinking that you are downloading "The Shattering" which is the new old world content.  That file is much bigger than what you will install if you buy cataclysm. If you could play now even without the expansion you would be seeing new content.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Every player has all the content, they just can't access it but you still need to see the new races, zones and items right?

The setup/playable thing means that when it hits the second stage you can just play while it downloads with maybe a few textures missing here and there, but mostly it downloads your current zone and around it right away so you shouldn't notice it much.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By George_Hukas
    @A_Cute_Squirtle said:
    " Really hating this constant joke of "Oh god, I'm going down the spiral that is WoW!" I've avoided the game ever since it came out and I've never been drawn to it once.  "
    Consider yourself lucky.. you really dodged a bullet.
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
    @cide said:
    " @A_Cute_Squirtle said:
    " Really hating this constant joke of "Oh god, I'm going down the spiral that is WoW!" I've avoided the game ever since it came out and I've never been drawn to it once.  "
    Consider yourself lucky.. you really dodged a bullet. "
    It's not that I have anything against MMOs. But I hate the art style of WoW and I cannot log that many hours into a game that looks that terrible. 
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Baillie
    @A_Cute_Squirtle said:
    " @cide said:
    " @A_Cute_Squirtle said:
    Consider yourself lucky.. you really dodged a bullet. "
    It's not that I have anything against MMOs. But I hate the art style of WoW and I cannot log that many hours into a game that looks that terrible.  "
    I'm with you, not for the art style, just WoW has never appealed to me in the slightest, and I used to love Runescape.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Baillie: That is mean, Baillie. Comparing any game to Runscape is just terrible. How could you be so cruel?
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Baillie

Hey runescape was awesome before it got updated to Runescape 2. :(

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ravensword
    @gakon5:

Yeah, ive palyed during Lick king. Im sure im downloading 4.0.3. im gonna do that later though, I cant believe it was a 9gb download. It also says imbehind a firewall, so that could be making it slower to download
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By stinky

WoW updates like mad crazy. lich king alone updated so often some of the original epics should be greens.  
    and everyone has to download cataclysm as well, so thats in there. 

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rehehelly
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @gakon5: Yeah, ive palyed during Lick king. Im sure im downloading 4.0.3. im gonna do that later though, I cant believe it was a 9gb download. It also says imbehind a firewall, so that could be making it slower to download "
    I left mine running overnight.  

God damn im not even upgrading to cata and buying game time til january. WANT IT SO BAD
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Hunkulese
    @A_Cute_Squirtle said:
    Why would you even read a thread about WoW?
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
    @Hunkulese said:
    " @A_Cute_Squirtle said:
    Why would you even read a thread about WoW? "
    I saw the thread title and wanted to comment on the recent string of "Oh dear god I'm being sucked down my WoW hole please help me on no addiction oh god!!!!!!"  

If you miss playing a game and it's addictive, just play it. 
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @A_Cute_Squirtle: 

Exactly, but some people dont have much self control when it comes to it =\
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By melcene
    @A_Cute_Squirtle said:

" @Hunkulese said:

" @A_Cute_Squirtle said:
    I saw the thread title and wanted to comment on the recent string of "Oh dear god I'm being sucked down my WoW hole please help me on no addiction oh god!!!!!!"   If you miss playing a game and it's addictive, just play it.  "
    Problem is many non-WoW players automatically view any  WoW player (or thread for that matter) as one of "OMGITSWOWANDIMANADDICTEDNERD" when for many of us, that simply isn't the case.  Yes we play the game and enjoy it, and we may joke about being pulled back in, but that doesn't mean that every WoW player is omgaddicted to the extent that you seem to be thinking.
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
    @melcene said:
    " @A_Cute_Squirtle said:

" @Hunkulese said:

" @A_Cute_Squirtle said:
    I saw the thread title and wanted to comment on the recent string of "Oh dear god I'm being sucked down my WoW hole please help me on no addiction oh god!!!!!!"   If you miss playing a game and it's addictive, just play it.  "
    Problem is many non-WoW players automatically view any  WoW player (or thread for that matter) as one of "OMGITSWOWANDIMANADDICTEDNERD" when for many of us, that simply isn't the case.  Yes we play the game and enjoy it, and we may joke about being pulled back in, but that doesn't mean that every WoW player is omgaddicted to the extent that you seem to be thinking. "
    I don't view every WoW player is that. That's why I hate when people make those sorts of jokes constantly. It just causes the stereotype to spread like wildfire. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.