Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

Professions.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I am new to World of Warcraft and I have no idea about Professions so I need someone to explain to me -

What they are.
    What they all do.
    Why do them.
    Which most benefits a Rouge.

Thanks.

Nurve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nurve

http://www.wowwiki.com/Profession
    You can have only 2 primary professions at any time. Unlimited secondary professions.

Professions are a good way to make gold and most provide stat bonuses exclusive to that profession. Since you're new, I would go with a pair of professions that compliment each other so you are self sufficient, or you could grab two gathering professions to make gold that way by selling the materials on the AH.

Mining/Skinning/Herbalism 
    Alchemy/Herbalism
    Leatherworking/Skinning

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By oatz

I'm a rogue with mining and jewelcrafting. Learn to play the market and you can make around 20k a week. 

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

What they are - Huge timesinks which often offer gear, items or novelty stuff.
    What they all do - Cost you time, materials and money, but grant you stuff you can use/sell.
    Why do them - Sometimes making items yourself is cheaper then buying it of the Auction House.
    Which most benefits a Rouge - There is no make up profession yet, but enchanting uses some dusts and powders in which your 'rouge' should feel right at home.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By management

It depends on if you wan't to make some gear on your own or just get enough cash to buy everything. If you wan't to make gear for yourself the smartest choice is skinning and leatherworking since rogues can only use leather as armor. 

I tend to choose two gathering professions so I can earn a lot of gold by selling the stuff I've gathered, my favorite gathering professions are skinning and mining.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By melcene
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Which most benefits a Rouge - There is no make up profession yet, but enchanting uses some dusts and powders in which your 'rouge' should feel right at home. "
    I lol'd!!! 

A rogue might benefit most from leatherworking/skinning, so they can make their own gear.  Or they might benefit from alchemy/herbalism to make their own potions.  Or they might... you get the idea.  Here are some common combinations of primary tradeskills: 

Blacksmithing/Mining 
    Engineering/Mining 
    Tailoring/Enchanting  
    Tailoring/Skinning
    Leatherworking/Skinning 
    Alchemy/Herbalism 
    Jewelcrafting/Mining 
    Inscription/Herbalism 
    Mining/Herbalism
    ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By ToxicFruit

MY PROFESSION ! i just went with mining i just could not be bothered doing anything else, it is a great way to get some money from the auction house. 
    it also raises you stamina over time

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hexx462

Since you're just starting out I highly recommend going with the mining/herbalism combo.

It will net you a good amount of cash. Taking on a crafting profession can be quite expensive and, whereas with the mining/herbalism you can make a good amount of money as you're leveling up (not to mention some respectable exp). Later on in the game you can drop one of the gathering professions for a crafting profession. By then you should know what you want out of a profession and will have a nice reserve of money built up for your epic flying training.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Which most benefits a Rouge - There is no make up profession yet, but enchanting uses some dusts and powders in which your 'rouge' should feel right at home.
    -_______________- 

Rogue.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @NekuSakuraba: Go with the general consensus of Mining/Herbalism.  If this is your first character you will need the extra income to afford the best riding skills as soon as they become available.  Herbalism/Skinning is a decent alternate route to go since Skinning is the easiest gathering skill to level up and the passive bonuses to Crit (while minor) will be more useful to a Rogue than extra Stamina.  With the expedited leveling experience, it can be difficult to find enough nodes to keep your Mining skill in pace with your leveling.  If you're unlucky you'll find yourself sitting at 58, ready to go into Outland, but instead spending all your time running around Azeroth looking for Thorium Veins to get your Mining up to 300.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By melcene
    @StarvingGamer: It's actually gotten a lot better.  I have an engy/miner at lvl 55 right now, and she's been coming across TONS of ore nodes.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    ROGUE*****
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@NekuSakuraba: 
    <3

@StarvingGamer:@melcene: 
    She's right, they buffed node spawns a lot and for the first time in 6 years I actually could level mining and blacksmithing at the same pace, instead of outleveling it or one falling behind.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a stout Mining/Skinning kind of guy. Then again, I got disgusted at the amount of materials needed for late game professions, so I decided I'll just sell said mats to the crazy people for profit. :) I would say take Skinning over Mining or Herb simply because you'll be killing a lot of things to skin, so there's really no "going out of your way" to get leathers.

That said, if you're going to go with a crafting profession, be sure to choose ones that compliment each other. You don't want Herbalism and Blacksmithing, for example. Pick the gathering profession that compliments the crafting. As a Rogue, I'd steer clear of Blacksmithing, but otherwise you'll benefit at least a slight amount from everything else.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hexx462

I'd take herb or mining over skinning any day. Skinning every animal you kill becomes downright annoying and I've always made much more cash off of Herb/Mining than I ever have with a skinner.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By raiz265
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " So I am new to World of Warcraft and I have no idea about Professions so I need someone to explain to me - What they are. What they all do. Why do them. Which most benefits a Rouge. Thanks. "
    Stats-wise Leatherworking is best profession for rogues atm as far as I know because of the 130agilty (agility>alllll) bracers enchant they have for themselves.... Also you can craft some nice epic Leather gear for yourself (and others for $$$)... 

As long as you have no high level twink that you can use to farm the materials you should probably learns skinning along with it (or mining if you chose blacksmithing/jewelcrafting, or, or, or) otherwise the best "optimiziation" for your character would be another producting profession
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By EpicSteve

Professions are your money makers and avenues to bring more to the table while in groups. After you pick your two professions, you'll have to dicipline yourself to partake in "dailies". This is when you will gather supplies, craft, sell, or generally do whatever you need to do to work on your professions. I don't recommend certain professions like Alchemy or Engineering, they're typically too overwhelming for new players. However, pick things that corispond with your class and professions that complement one another. 

For instance, if you're a warrior, go with Blacksmithing so you can make yourself armor. Tag that with mining, so you can gather the items needed to craft armor. If you're a mage or Priest, I almost demand you go with Herbalism and Alchemy. Once again, one of those gather supplies, the other one implements it. The economy also weighs in towards certain professions. When I played WoW, I was making a killing selling specific plants I gathered through Herbalism.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

They're like a little job that give you perks, make you shit or get you money. 
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By rjaylee

If it's your first character, I'd recommend doing mining and herbalism. This should prove to be a good moneymaker as you level up so you can sell your ores and herbs. Once you're at a sustainable level of money, take up something like Engineering. A rogue with shock paddles is a great addition (and a nice perk) for a group if you choose to do a lot of instances. There's lots of other nice little perks in Engineering, but if you want, Jewelcrafting can offer some good bonuses and items as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.