Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

Strand of the ancients, Worst PvP thing EVER?

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cataphract1014

I'm talking about in any game ever made.  Blizzard did horrible with the BGs in Wrath.  Isle of Conquest is almost equally as shitty.  I've gotten each of them 4x as much as the 2 new ones in random.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

Tol Barad is kinda bad if not worse than those two battlegrounds.   Defense wins 90% of the time because it's easy for them to just zerg one spot so the attackers never cap all three buildings at the same time.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By melcene

I have to admit, I haven't been in the Wrath BGs. 

However, I have to say that they did decently with Wintergrasp.  I think Wintergrasp could certainly be improved, but it's almost as much fun as world PvP in Warhammer Online.  Only not because every server has population imbalance.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Marz:   Tol Barad is pretty fun but it really is way too easy for the defenders to hold it.
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uniform

I love Isle of Conquest. During Wrath it was pretty much the only BG I would queue for. I'm a big fan of large group PVP. I'm not into the arena thing, and while I do enjoy them, the small sized BGs just don't have that epic feeling. I hate to contribute to this broken record, but damn do I miss AV in 2005.

Avatar image for great__defunct__northern
    Great__defunct__Northern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Really loved AV/EotS back in BC-era, but haven't PVPed much since. Never even tried Wintergrasp.  

I did, however, experiment with Strand of the Ancients last year and, uh, wow, that seemed totally broken.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cataphract1014

I keep getting this fucking horrible piece of shit.

LET ME DOWN VOTE BGS!

@uniform said:

" I love Isle of Conquest. During Wrath it was pretty much the only BG I would queue for. I'm a big fan of large group PVP. I'm not into the arena thing, and while I do enjoy them, the small sized BGs just don't have that epic feeling. I hate to contribute to this broken record, but damn do I miss AV in 2005. "

I don't like AV and IoC because its not PvP.  AV is some stupid PvE rush to the end as fast as possible.  It was even worse when it first came out.  IoC is bomb one door until its gone and then kill a boss.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By melcene

I've never really liked AV for the same reason I think... AB is better, but WSG was always my fave.  Wintergrasp is a blast because it's actually attack and defend.  I haven't PvP'd much since back when they awarded titles for it.  Other than that, just the occasional WSG with lowbies or WG with 80s.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cataphract1014

Warsong and EoTS are my favorites.  The new AB like one was pretty cool.  3 nodes means more action.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

I don't know about the worst, but ...
    Original vanilla AV ... best shit ever.
    I remember playing in a single AV instance for hours, going to sleep and when waking up, getting into the exact same AV still going on. EPIC battles.
    It's the only thing I still miss from the old days.

@Cataphract1014:
    Original AV would frequently go on for hours on end, the was no PvE rushing. It was massive grinding PvP battles that sometimes swung one way or another with some PvE help.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By CL60
    @Marz said:
    " Tol Barad is kinda bad if not worse than those two battlegrounds.   Defense wins 90% of the time because it's easy for them to just zerg one spot so the attackers never cap all three buildings at the same time. "
    It will probably be changed, because right now it is incredibly unbalanced.
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uniform
    @Cataphract1014 said:

" I don't like AV and IoC because its not PvP.  AV is some stupid PvE rush to the end as fast as possible.  It was even worse when it first came out.  IoC is bomb one door until its gone and then kill a boss. "

I agree PVP currently takes the backseat in these BGs, with IoC offering more PVP opportunities than AV. Current AV might as well just be two tunnels you ride through to reach the PVE goals. Both teams are in their own bubbles. Worse how? What could possibly be worse than a PVP instance that lacks PVP? 

Original AV was fantastic, unless of course the players goal is honor farming, in which case there was WSG, and shortly released after, AB. 2005 AV could best be described as something like an outdoor raid instance with two raids of opposing factions clashing as they clear through raid trash. While some people, most importantly Blizzard, saw this as a hindrance to PVP as well as far too time consuming (Battles lasting 24+ hours), all that trash actually promoted those grand stand offs in AV. There was really no way a whole raid could bypass the hundreds of trash mobs leading to the goal. Before nerfed completely, the trash was lessened, and as this happened people realized that the trash wasn't as much of a time sink as before, and it certainly wasn't enough to hold raids back to the point they would encounter each other. With the removal of all trash, the epic war became the race to the end we see today. 

2005 AV combined two of my favorite things in the game, large scale raids and PVP. It was time consuming as anything, leaving you often not being able to stick it out long enough to see the conclusion of a game you started. AV was once as close to a WAR as you'll ever see in World of Warcraft. Just like War, it's a long drawn out process with enemies preventing you from reaching your objectives. I could honestly go on for paragraphs talking about the many other aspects of the BG I loved. Korrak kicking the stuffing out of players while he runs around field of strife. Wolf/Ram riders. Gryphon/Wind Riders blowing players around the air. LEGIONS of trash mobs +Goblin shredders). Ivus vs Lok clashes. So many memories. Rose tinted glasses, whatever. This was when PVP was fun for me.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @uniform said:
    " @Cataphract1014 said:
    " I don't like AV and IoC because its not PvP.  AV is some stupid PvE rush to the end as fast as possible.  It was even worse when it first came out.  IoC is bomb one door until its gone and then kill a boss. "
    I agree PVP currently takes the backseat in these BGs, with IoC offering more PVP opportunities than AV. Current AV might as well just be two tunnels you ride through to reach the PVE goals. Both teams are in their own bubbles. Worse how? What could possibly be worse than a PVP instance that lacks PVP?   Original AV was a fantastic, unless of course the players goal is honor farming, in which case there was WSG, and shortly released after, AB. 2005 AV could best be described as something like an outdoor raid instance with two raids of opposing factions clashing as they clear through raid trash. While some people, most importantly Blizzard, saw this as a hindrance to PVP as well as far too time consuming (Battles lasting 24+ hours), all that trash actually promoted those grand stand offs in AV. There was really no way a whole raid could bypass the hundreds of trash mobs leading to the goal. Before nerfed completely, the trash was lessened, and as this happened people realized that the trash wasn't as much of a time sink as before, and it certainly wasn't enough to hold raids back to the point they would encounter each other. With the removal of all trash, the epic war became the race to the end we see today.   2005 AV combined two of my favorite things in the game, large scale raids and PVP. It was time consuming as anything, leaving you often not being able to stick out out long enough to see the conclusion of a game you started. AV was once as close to a WAR as you'll ever see in World of Warcraft. Just like War, it's a long drawn out process with enemies preventing you from reaching your objectives. I could honestly go on for paragraphs talking about the many other aspects of the BG I loved. Korrak kicking the stuffing out of players while he runs around field of strife. Wolf/Ram riders. Gryphon/Wind Riders blowing players around the air. LEGIONS of trash mobs +Goblin shredders). Ivus vs Lok clashes. So many memories. Rose tinted glasses, whatever. This was when PVP was fun for me. "
    W O R D .
    Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rehehelly
    @Tennmuerti: When I was playing in january I remember our team was dragging out the AV by not going for the bosses and grinding honour, I used this opportunity to get out the ice lord.  

First time i'd actually seen him and it was awesome. 
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Tennmuerti:  When AV was first released it had all sorts of stupid Trolls and mobs all over the map.  Bosses could be summoned that dropped loot.  My original warrior had a piece of loot that dropped in AV.  Hell, one of the GY was controlled by a troll boss.   Keep that PVE crap out of my BGs!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.