Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

Uninteresting $#!% 19 - Holiday "Why I Started WoW Again" Edition

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

Howdy folks. 

It's the holidays, which means we're going to be sitting around waiting for the New Year to come around so we can start getting some new games.  You know what the real bitch is?  It's when you have all these games you need to finish, and then your friends finally make you cave and buy a copy of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, starting you back on the path of the downward spiral.  Sleep deprivation has already occurred, and it doesn't seem like something that will let up for quite some time.  One can only hope that this adventure into the never-ending plummet to the bottom of Hell will end well, but sadly, we've all been here before.  With that said, let's talk about Cataclysm...

...or instead, I should tell you about how I'm not playing Cataclysm.  Rather than starting a level 1 toon of some other class, I started a Death Knight...which kickstarts at level 55.  In turn, it means that I have not seen more than one small piece of the massive change in Azeroth, which happened to be a portion to the south of The Dark Portal in The Blasted Lands.  That portion was pretty awesome, as it involved a ton of murlocs being enslaved by nagas, as well as some forest being corrupted.  Guess what I had to do?  Be a goddamned hero and save some fucking murlocs!!!  It was great fun, and it has me excited to check out the 1-60 content. 

As it stands, though, it's saddening to see such a massive overhaul of the game (to the point that someone who hasn't played in a year feels like a complete stranger to the game)...and yet the Outlands and Northrend remain untouched.  Grinding away XP in Hellfire turned out to be one hell of a painful experience, only made better by getting a flying mount at 60 rather than 70....or whatever the hell it was before.  Why only revamp one part of the world when you could make the game in its entirety something fresh and new?  Let the Outlands and Northrend get some damage, some new initiative, and for fuck's sake, a fresh coat of paint and some reworking!  Streamline those quests for a better experience.  Someone leveling from 1-60 is going to see a lot of fun stuff, but once they hit the 60-80 gap, it's going to turn out to be a bit of a drag until they get into the new stuff for Cataclysm.  Don't just make it to where I'll bust 64 and 65 before I even finish Zangarmarsh:  make it to where I'll feel more involved in Outlands and Northrend.  Part of what made my short stint in The Blasted Lands so exciting, aside from being familiar with the old world of vanilla WoW, was that I felt like I was having an impact on the world.  I was doing something that wasn't just arbitrary "kill 10 of these because we said to".  I dragged a crate of baby murlocs to freedom, dammit!  Give me more of that impactful feeling!

My biggest piece of excitement right now is getting to the high-level content of 80-85.  Having seen my buddies roll through the new territories like Vash'jir and Twilight Highlands, as well as dungeons like Grim Batol (which I've been dying for since vanilla) and heroic Deadmines (ZOMG!), these are territories that I am wholeheartedly ready to explore. 

A trip back to Azeroth didn't even feel like it was in the cards, and for the longest time, fighting that urge to go back seemed a bit futile.  Being back in the World of Warcraft, it feels like a long and arduous road ahead - one that seems like it will have far more rewards than before. 

With that, I retire the Uninteresting $#!% blogs.  Frankly, most never liked the title anyways, and above which, it would seem that playing other games is going to fall to the wayside quite a bit...unless I get tired of WoW and just decide to go back to Xbox. 

Until next time, piece.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

Howdy folks. 

It's the holidays, which means we're going to be sitting around waiting for the New Year to come around so we can start getting some new games.  You know what the real bitch is?  It's when you have all these games you need to finish, and then your friends finally make you cave and buy a copy of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, starting you back on the path of the downward spiral.  Sleep deprivation has already occurred, and it doesn't seem like something that will let up for quite some time.  One can only hope that this adventure into the never-ending plummet to the bottom of Hell will end well, but sadly, we've all been here before.  With that said, let's talk about Cataclysm...

...or instead, I should tell you about how I'm not playing Cataclysm.  Rather than starting a level 1 toon of some other class, I started a Death Knight...which kickstarts at level 55.  In turn, it means that I have not seen more than one small piece of the massive change in Azeroth, which happened to be a portion to the south of The Dark Portal in The Blasted Lands.  That portion was pretty awesome, as it involved a ton of murlocs being enslaved by nagas, as well as some forest being corrupted.  Guess what I had to do?  Be a goddamned hero and save some fucking murlocs!!!  It was great fun, and it has me excited to check out the 1-60 content. 

As it stands, though, it's saddening to see such a massive overhaul of the game (to the point that someone who hasn't played in a year feels like a complete stranger to the game)...and yet the Outlands and Northrend remain untouched.  Grinding away XP in Hellfire turned out to be one hell of a painful experience, only made better by getting a flying mount at 60 rather than 70....or whatever the hell it was before.  Why only revamp one part of the world when you could make the game in its entirety something fresh and new?  Let the Outlands and Northrend get some damage, some new initiative, and for fuck's sake, a fresh coat of paint and some reworking!  Streamline those quests for a better experience.  Someone leveling from 1-60 is going to see a lot of fun stuff, but once they hit the 60-80 gap, it's going to turn out to be a bit of a drag until they get into the new stuff for Cataclysm.  Don't just make it to where I'll bust 64 and 65 before I even finish Zangarmarsh:  make it to where I'll feel more involved in Outlands and Northrend.  Part of what made my short stint in The Blasted Lands so exciting, aside from being familiar with the old world of vanilla WoW, was that I felt like I was having an impact on the world.  I was doing something that wasn't just arbitrary "kill 10 of these because we said to".  I dragged a crate of baby murlocs to freedom, dammit!  Give me more of that impactful feeling!

My biggest piece of excitement right now is getting to the high-level content of 80-85.  Having seen my buddies roll through the new territories like Vash'jir and Twilight Highlands, as well as dungeons like Grim Batol (which I've been dying for since vanilla) and heroic Deadmines (ZOMG!), these are territories that I am wholeheartedly ready to explore. 

A trip back to Azeroth didn't even feel like it was in the cards, and for the longest time, fighting that urge to go back seemed a bit futile.  Being back in the World of Warcraft, it feels like a long and arduous road ahead - one that seems like it will have far more rewards than before. 

With that, I retire the Uninteresting $#!% blogs.  Frankly, most never liked the title anyways, and above which, it would seem that playing other games is going to fall to the wayside quite a bit...unless I get tired of WoW and just decide to go back to Xbox. 

Until next time, piece.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

Oh man, I used to give you shit about your blog title, but I got used to it. I'm kind of sad to see it go now.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Oh noo! It was a very nice WoW blog until that bomb was dropped last paragraph. R.I.P. Uninteresting $#!% blogs.  

Good luck kicking WoW at some point.  :P

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator

It saddens me also that the Outlands remains untouched by the cataclysm overhaul, as that is easily the least interesting part of Azeroth. I started a new character and i'm currently in the Mid 50's with my Troll Warrior. Everything is going great - but I know that soon i'm going to arrive in the Hellfire peninsula, and this makes me sad. Hopefully I can just grind out instances that entire time. Shouldn't be too difficult as a tank, it's mad easy to get groups. I remember having some trouble tanking with my DK, at least until they unlock some decent AoE attacks, so you might have to wait a while - at least until level 60? - before you can start tanking.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By melcene

The blues have stated that they ARE looking into revisiting Outlands like they did with the old world. 

I mean, it makes sense that Outlands was left untouched... it's not on Azeroth.  Although that doesn't explain why Northrend was left untouched. 

Definitely, definitely go back and level up a new toon dude.  While I am also kinda sad (having played since vanilla beta) about some of our favorite old quests/mobs/etc being gone, the changes they've made are amazing, fun, and much more streamlined.  I almost want to start all over on another server just to play a bunch of lowbies.

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By JokerFrown

I've been leveling a new Worgen when Catakalism came out.  I must say, All of the updated zones thus far have been EPIC!  Darkshore is in ruins, Ashenvale is experiencing open war between the Horde and the Alliance, and Desolace...Well...isn't desolate anymore.  I can't wait to see more.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

Leveling was quite a fun experience, but now I'm getting a bit frustrated. Getting gear to tank heroics comptently is getting to be a chore. 

I keep loosing rolls on tank gear to death-knights, heroics are really fucking hard now, just like they were back in the Burning Crusade days, and a lot of the groups I've been thrown into don't understand the concept of control. Not to mention the only way to get Justice Points is in heroics (and 70 per day in normal). Getting rep for gear takes forever in normal dungeons, and the Chaos Orbs needed for epic blacksmith gear only come from the final boss in heroics, and you have a 1/5 chance of getting one.

It's gotten to a point where I need better gear to do heroics, and I need to do heroics for better gear.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By melcene

I think Blizz knows that they made everything way too much of a cake walk with WotLK.  Devs have commented about how Cata is supposed to be going more back to vanilla in terms of difficulty.  (And time sinks apparently) 

I kind of like where this is going.  Groups have to learn to work as a group again.  People actually need to learn their roles.  No more fucking lvl 80 noobs asking "what's crowd control?"  No more steam rolling crap.  Actual group work and tactics.  I'm glad to see it back in the game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187
    @Sweep: Luckily, they seem to have made the Outlands and Northrend easy to blast through.  How easy?  Well, I'm 65 now, about to hit 66, and I just got to Nagrand...and I've only been to Hellfire and Zangar...and I didn't finish about 20 quests between the two of those zones.  SKIPPING TEROKKAR FTW!!!  Apparently, I should be able to get to about 68 in Nagrand, then bust up to 70 on one more zone and just go to Northrend!  I will say, though, that it's sad to say you want to skip nearly two entire expansions.  I'm not dreading Outlands nearly as much as I'm dreading the idea of Lich King.  That expansion killed WoW for me. 

@TooWalrus: Well, it was very much the same way back in vanilla, despite not having heroics.  In order to get gear, you had to run raids...but inversely, you had to get your dungeon set before that in order to get into raids.  That's not to mention having a ton of other shit...plus 40 people online to do it.  The reason LK ended up being such a cakewalk was because people "had problems" getting gear.  In actuality, it's not that hard to get gear...if you run with a guild.  Then again, I haven't gotten into the heroics on Cata yet, and I've heard they present a good challenge.  I await those dungeons with bated breath. 
    wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By wunder_

Ugh - I HATE HFP. I levelled 4 characters with my RAF buddy and they're all still just level 60 in Thrallmar. Zangarmarsh isn't much of a better alternative, I much prefer Nagrand/BEM or any other 70 zones, not the starter ones. Northrend has a much better flow and is tuned relatively well to the current design of Cataclysm, though of course doing Dragonblight for the 5th time isn't that thrilling, even for the Wrathgate. Not sure what I'll do once I hit 60 to be honest, probably just leave another alt in the Thrallmar inn.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.