Which faction will Giant Bomb serve?

• 0 results
#1 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -
#2 Edited by gakon (1952 posts) -

There's been some discussion about an official Giant Bomb community guild for World of Warcraft.  This poll will help us determine how much interest there is in each faction, as well as how many people are interested in joining.  If you would like to start a new character on a new server with the Giant Bomb community, please vote and pick a faction.  Somewhere around 20 to 30 people should be a good start, and with over 2000 people tracking WoW achievements on Giant Bomb, how hard could that possibly be?

[EDIT] Awww, I misclicked and picked Horde.  Well, it doesn't concern me too much.

There are currently five US PvE realms flagged as "New Players":

Cairne (faction leader for Tauren)
Shandris (leader of the Night Elf Sentinels)
Uldaman (level 40-ish dungeon in Badlands)
Vek'Nilash (raid boss from AQ40)
Velen (faction leader for Draenei)

#3 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Horde, but if the poll results favor the Alliance I won't mind.

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (11992 posts) -

I would if I was still playing. Shame.

#5 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

im gonna say horde. just because alliance sucks

#6 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I already have 10x80 hordes. Would love to go Draenei shaman for Cata.

#7 Posted by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

I'm pretty easy going and would probably play either faction, but I do favor the Horde a bit more than the Alliance.

#8 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Alliance! VOTE VOTE VOTE

#9 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Alliance
#10 Posted by lolcooljay (3 posts) -

Alliance

#11 Posted by alsnuts2 (674 posts) -

I play horde but if i were gonna start from scratch I wouldnt mind checking out the Alliance side. 

#12 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Getting close!

#13 Posted by 71Ranchero (2765 posts) -

Either is fine, the community's are the same regardless of how much people like to think they aren't.

#14 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

Knowing the personalities of the GB crew, I'd say Horde.

#15 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

Uh, I'll say horde, I've already been playing as an Alliance.

#16 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

The race with rifles would be my best bet. Unless both factions have firearms in which case I'll choose the one with chainsaws on their guns.

#17 Posted by NotSoSneakyGuy (70 posts) -

Horde. 'Cause of one word: Goblins.

#18 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

I don't play WoW, and probably never will, but might I suggest if there are enough people, have two communities.  One for Horde, and one for Alliance, both filled with Giant Bomb users, and have Giant Bomb Horde vs Alliance events.  Just throwing that out there.

#19 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:
" I don't play WoW, and probably never will, but might I suggest if there are enough people, have two communities.  One for Horde, and one for Alliance, both filled with Giant Bomb users, and have Giant Bomb Horde vs Alliance events.  Just throwing that out there. "
Maybe, but I believe guilds can contain something to the tune of 500 members, so unless gchat just becomes complete and utter chaos, we can stay together for now. 

I was thinking about the prospect of Alliance vs. Horde though, that might be interesting.  On PvE servers you can still flag for PvP right?  Giant Bomb will bring back Tarren Mill vs. Southshore.
#20 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

I'm gonna level my level 80 Ret Paladin (Alliance) but I might also create a Goblin since they look like a lot of fun.

#21 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -
@gakon5: Yeah, it would definitely be cool to have an Alliance and a Horde group, but I sincerely doubt we'll have enough players to support two separate guilds.
#22 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -
@gakon5 said:
" There's been some discussion about an official Giant Bomb community guild for World of Warcraft.  This poll will help us determine how much interest there is in each faction, as well as how many people are interested in joining.  If you would like to start a new character on a new server with the Giant Bomb community, please vote and pick a faction.  Somewhere around 20 to 30 people should be a good start, and with over 2000 people tracking WoW achievements on Giant Bomb, how hard could that possibly be?  [EDIT] Awww, I misclicked and picked Horde.  Well, it doesn't concern me too much.  There are currently five US PvE realms flagged as "New Players":  Cairne (faction leader for Tauren)Shandris (leader of the Night Elf Sentinels)Uldaman (level 40-ish dungeon in Badlands)Vek'Nilash (raid boss from AQ40)Velen (faction leader for Draenei) "
"New Players" just means its a server that has a low population and Blizzard is trying to fill it. You'd be better off finding a healthy server and just playing closely with that group of Giant Bombers.
#23 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -
@Babble said:
" @gakon5 said:
" There's been some discussion about an official Giant Bomb community guild for World of Warcraft.  This poll will help us determine how much interest there is in each faction, as well as how many people are interested in joining.  If you would like to start a new character on a new server with the Giant Bomb community, please vote and pick a faction.  Somewhere around 20 to 30 people should be a good start, and with over 2000 people tracking WoW achievements on Giant Bomb, how hard could that possibly be?  [EDIT] Awww, I misclicked and picked Horde.  Well, it doesn't concern me too much.  There are currently five US PvE realms flagged as "New Players":  Cairne (faction leader for Tauren)Shandris (leader of the Night Elf Sentinels)Uldaman (level 40-ish dungeon in Badlands)Vek'Nilash (raid boss from AQ40)Velen (faction leader for Draenei) "
"New Players" just means its a server that has a low population and Blizzard is trying to fill it. You'd be better off finding a healthy server and just playing closely with that group of Giant Bombers. "
Yeah, I figured that out after doing some research.  Some of them were opened as long ago as 2006.  Blizzard hasn't opened a new server in over a year.

I guess a better question is if we want super-low population or something in the middle.  Obviously we're not rolling on Proudmoore, which has 44,000 players, but do we want something as low as 2,000 or something in between?  I'm fine with something on the mid-to-low end.  My own server has an estimated 5,500 characters and that's crowded enough for me.

These numbers are from Warcraft Realms, which isn't 100% accurate but good enough for me.
#24 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Guild tabard? 
#25 Edited by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

Yeah, I think itll be better if we had one for Horde and one for alliance. Also, why are we only doing this now? what, WoW wasnt popular enough the 5 years its been out?
#26 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@Babble:

Yeah, how are we going to decide on a  server anyway? and why are we going PVE?
#27 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

I'd roll Goblin or Worgen, but I'd say I like werewolves more. 

But still, I'm probably not going to resubscribe to WoW anyways, so...yeah.

#28 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

Either or, I've plenty of experience with both sides, though come Cata I'll be making a Worgen regardless.

#29 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -
 @Raven_Sword said:
" @Babble: Yeah, how are we going to decide on a  server anyway? and why are we going PVE? "
Because getting ganked is like...the most annoying thing ever.
#30 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@Soapy86:

Yes, but doing the ganking is pretty damn fun. in a mean kinda way. I dont know, i always though PVP servers where considered the serious ones or something like that.
#31 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

84 votes and it's exactly 50/50. Incredible, especially since the Alliance outnumber the Horde by a crazy amount, last time I checked, anyway.

#32 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Alliance. All of my mains so far have been Horde, so I'm tired of playing them. I'm curious to see what Alliance is like. 

#33 Posted by immike (714 posts) -

I'd rather go alliance.

#34 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said: 

@Soapy86: Yes, but doing the ganking is pretty damn fun. in a mean kinda way. I dont know, i always though PVP servers where considered the serious ones or something like that. "

One server type is no more serious than another. It just depends what you're into.  

As for ganking being fun, I have a little anecdote on that. As I was leveling my character over the course of a couple of years (I took several long "breaks" from the game) I must have been ganked hundreds of times. (In fact getting harassed so often was what caused me to take such long "breaks") It was utterly infuriating! And then when I finally hit 80 earlier in the year, the first thing that came to my mind was, "God damn it! I'm going to take a little trip down to Southshore and get some payback!" Well, I did just that. I murdered every player, NPC, and animal foolish enough to hang around Southshore that day. Once my slaughter had come to an end, and my thirst for Alliance blood had been slaked, I felt completely unsatisfied. There was no challenge in it, it wasn't even fun. "How can anyone possibly enjoy this?", I thought. I know I didn't. And after that day I never ganked again. The end.  

*steps off soapbox*     
#35 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

For the Horde!

#36 Posted by Teeknuts (189 posts) -

I would be cool with either really.

#37 Posted by MercuryCrusader (257 posts) -

Horde.  Unfortunately, most Horde players in WoW choose to be Blood Elves because they have self-image issues and want to be pretty or brooding or some shit.  Blood elves? Not in my Horde! Warcraft 1 & 2, never forget.
#38 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

Horde all the way. Goblins look awesome.

#39 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2908 posts) -

I haven't played WOW in years, but Horde 4 lyfe...

#40 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

Over 100 votes now and Horde has edged it out, but I'm impressed that they stayed relatively close together.  Maybe we should think about actually starting the guild at some point.

@Raven_Sword: Although I play on a PvP server myself I think PvE is just more convenient, especially for people who don't want to deal with that ish.

@Soapy86: That's hot stuff.

I see now how much the data on Warcraft Realms fluctuates, showing its volatility and probably inaccuracy.  Here are a few servers in different population ranges:

Nazgrel: 4,000 players, 1.5:1 (Alliance:Horde)
Borean Tundra: 10,000 players, 1.3:1
Nesingwary: 25,000 players, 1.1:1

#41 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -
@gakon5: You know, I've been thinking that maybe we should just count the votes of people that posted in thread because I bet a good 90% of the votes in the poll are from people who just wanted to vote but had zero intention of actually joining our potential guild. 
#42 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -
@Soapy86 said:
" @gakon5: You know, I've been thinking that maybe we should just count the votes of people that posted in thread because I bet a good 90% of the votes in the poll are from people who just wanted to vote but had zero intention of actually joining our potential guild.  "
I was thinking the same thing, even though I tried to make it clear in the OP that we needed a head count.  If 30 of these people show up I'll be happy.
#43 Posted by Dipstick (546 posts) -

I voted,just got back into wow after about a 4-5 month break. I wouldn't mind rolling either faction actually.

#44 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

HORDE. better question what server will giantbomb be on?

#45 Edited by alConn (153 posts) -

Alliance because Worgen looks BA to me...but if its with a bunch of Giant Bombers I suppose a Tauren Pally would be sweet...are we doing this after Cataclysm comes out?  That's what I am guessing, unless I missed something.  Need to go buy WotLK regardless...

Also, you want a server with at least 10,000 players according to Warcraft Realms...one with a decently even distribution of H:A.

#46 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -
@alConn said:
" Alliance because Worgen looks BA to me...but if its with a bunch of Giant Bombers I suppose a Tauren Pally would be sweet...are we doing this after Cataclysm comes out?  That's what I am guessing, unless I missed something.  Need to go buy WotLK regardless...  Also, you want a server with at least 10,000 players according to Warcraft Realms...one with a decently even distribution of H:A. "
I agree, about the ratio thing.  Also, IMO, RP servers attract more mature players.  What is your guild's purpose?  Just a social guild or do you have long term goals?  Leveling guild, raiding, social, PVP, so on.   Will there be officers to enforce and encourage the guild rules?  Will there be any rules or is this just a hang out and talk sort of thing? 

If you guys are trying to set up a serious Giant Bomb guild.  I would be interested.  Been playing for 5 years and I don't really want to just hang out in guild chat.  Looking for more of a end game type thing.   Start from scratch and work together to defeat endgame. 

As for the server type.  Remember that there is a dungeon matchmaking system now. So even on PvP realms you don't have to quest in contested zones, if you don't want to.  Just travel to the instance's quest hub, and q up.  Play a healer or tank and get into groups instantly.

Anyway, sounds cool.  If your interested in me.  I am interested in started from the bottom.  No power leveling or like bullshit.   I would be willing to play a tank or caster DPS.  Into multi instance runs for gear and leveling.  Will craft mains and subs all the way.  Not willing to wait for others to level, thoe.  I play a lot.

What ever choices you guys make with this guild.  Have fun!  

Its awesome that so many bombers have suddenly become more open about WoW here. 
#47 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

I think (and I'm no authority on the subject, we're all here to discuss what this guild is) it would mainly be a social and leveling guild, but with enough people we can do dungeons and battlegrounds together, even at low levels.  We all have shared interests (Giant Bomb, video games, Warcraft), so we should get along fine, and we'll be rolling without all the hip anti-WoW kids that roam this website.

Also I'm interested in starting a guild now.  I played for a year without a guild, so I would just like to be in one and see if it improves my experience.  When I was thinking about classes to roll, there's basically three or four I haven't played above like level 20.  I have a Druid, Mage, DK at high levels, and a Rogue and Shaman in the 30's.  I don't really like melee classes.  That being said I think I'm going to roll a warrior tank, assuming Prot isn't horrendous for leveling.  I main a healer but I've never been a tank, and I'm interested to try.

#48 Edited by MrDorkins (38 posts) -

Just thought I'd point out there's no cap on number of players in a guild, just how many it shows in the tab. Also pick a realm with somewhere between a .3 and .7 advantage for our faction.
EDIT: Also I vote for horde.

#49 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -
I want to play as a Worgen personally, but I guess I'm willing to play horde.
#50 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

Why does every PvP server have a Horde skew and every PvE server have an Alliance skew?  Is it because Alliance players are babies? ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.