Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

Worgen Starting Zone Hate

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Deathshroud

Without revealing anything...if you can. Can someone tell me why people are bashing the starting zone/quests for the worgen. 

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Gizmo

Does it have something to do with Twilight references?

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Deathshroud
    @Gizmo:  Not sure to be honest . I just been reading that people say it sucks and they were disappointed with it on the beta
    Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Nephrahim

I think it just dosen't compare favrobly to the new Goblin zone.  There's been a lot of Alliance-Horde fighting over who's getting the coolest stuff for the X-pack.   It's hard to be Thrall and the shipwreck stuff.

I've heard more complaints about the Gnome-Troll situation as well.

I could be wrong though.  Haven't been following this religiously.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Deathshroud

hmmm ., Ill have ot look into it some more ..I just really been looking forward to the story of the Worgen and don't want to be disappointed

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Red

I've heard that the goblin zone is just for random doofy fun crap, and worgen is more combat-based (and therefore repetitive) but also with more story. 

EDIT: In other words, different cups of tea.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Deathshroud
    @Red: @Red said:
    " I've heard that the goblin zone is just for random doofy fun crap, and worgen is more combat-based (and therefore repetitive) but also with more story.  EDIT: In other words, different cups of tea. "
    If that is the case I should be happy with it . I will play goblin ..but worgen first
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By CenturionCajun

As has been said the Worgen and Goblin starting zones are polar opposites. The Goblin areas have astro-turf football fields, slapstick comedy and things exploding all over the place. The Worgen zone is about a nation being infected with basically the werewolf curse, slipping into a civil war, and then being invaded by the Forsaken. 

Personally I can't wait to fire up a Worgen main. The whole Victorian-era British werewolves scratches an itch.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NoXious
    @Deathshroud:
    From what I've read - the problem isn't the ACTUAL starter area. Yes they aren't similar, but I think that's a good thing.
    It's what follows it. For Horde, that's Azshara. It has had an overhaul and it is AWESOME. For Alliance (thus Worgen) it's Darkshore, which is fairly bad when you compare it to Azshara.
    Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Samaritan

It more likely than not stems from the fact that the entire Worgen starting zone is very linear comparatively to the Goblin starting zone, which is more akin to the free-form questing style of WoW for the most part. The thing most people aren't getting though, I think, is that the Worgen starting zone is so linear cause it tells one of the better quest storylines in the entire game to date. I obviously won't get into it, but I felt that the linearity of that zone was necessary for what it was trying to show me. People are also probably miffed that the Worgen don't get a "new" 10-20 zone, nor a capitol city to call home (For now at least). Though, the latter wouldn't really fit with the entire Worgen storyline so it's probably for the better that they don't have a capitol city right now.

CharlesSahara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By CharlesSahara
    @RiotBananas said:
    " The Goblin starting experience is the most fun I've ever had on WoW.  Can't wait to gank newbs on my rogue called "Hiddenfee" "
    Hahahaha!  XD
    Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Creigz

From what I am hearing, Worgen are buggy and have bad animations as well as a more uninteresting starting zone. I personally would've preferred them over goblins even with the bad animation idea because Lore is more important to me anyway.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chrissedoff

it seems very focused towards telling a story that is angst-y and dark. i have no idea if that's why people hate it, but i think it looks lame as hell. that's pretty much what i think of the worgen as a race as well. /spit

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

I watched TotalBiscuit play through most of the Worgan starting zone and it looks much more interesting than the Goblin starting zone. It does seem too have lots of scripted/phased events and doesn't really let you roam around for the quests like you can with the Goblins on their two islands.  

If you enjoy lore, scripted events and phasing then it would seem that the Worgan are for you. 

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yeah, the Worgen starting zone is basically the story of how everything that possibly could go wrong for Gilneas went wrong. As was shown in TotalBiscuit's videos (which were mid-beta so alot of things were probably polished up considerably since then) the area is incredibly atmospheric and the story is very well done. It you're in to Victorian era horror (Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, etc.) then you'll probably enjoy it quite a bit. I know I can't wait.
    Etaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Etaber

I haven't played it since mid-beta but I thought Gilneas was great. I thought the atmosphere in the zone was amazing and their Victorian style made them really stand out from the other humans in the game. The only things I didn't like were: 

1. Gilneas City is not a usable capital
    2. You need to go through the quests in Silverpine as a hoardie to get the full story.

I can see how it might not stand out against the bling of the Goblin zones but I think each zone just does a good job of reflecting each race's personality.
    Whight_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Whight_Knight

Nerds are going to be checking their fucking palms for hairs when their done with this. 

Queers.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShadowConqueror
    @CenturionCajun said:
    "The whole Victorian-era British werewolves scratches an itch. "

I hear that!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.