Blizzard Gets Drunk on Panda Mystery, Announces Mists of Pandaria WoW Expansion

• 130 results
Posted by Alex (1973 posts) -
Yep, this is happening.

Proving that Blizzard are the kings of the game industry when it comes to the long-con, the publisher announced today at its annual Blizzcon event that Mists of Pandaria, an expansion with roots originating in an elaborate April Fool's Day joke back in 2005, is actually a real thing that Blizzard is releasing next year.

Originally joked as a mysterious "fifth race," the Pandaren have nonetheless been a much talked-about part of the lore of World of Warcraft in subsequent years and expansions. Now, this new expansion will finally let you create a giant Panda Bear with a penchant for kung-fu fighting, and play him/her as a member of either the Horde or the Alliance. This is the first race in the game that doesn't automatically start out as part of either faction, once again proving that bears cannot be trusted.

In addition to the new playable race, Mists of Pandaria will up the level cap to 90, and add new talent systems, PVE scenarios, a new pet battle system, and a new dungeon challenge mode. Word on the street is that Mists of Pandaria is playable in some form at Blizzcon, so expect more salient details to flow throughout the web during the weekend.

In the meantime, I present to you the following song in celebration of this new Pandaren dominance.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1973 posts) -
Yep, this is happening.

Proving that Blizzard are the kings of the game industry when it comes to the long-con, the publisher announced today at its annual Blizzcon event that Mists of Pandaria, an expansion with roots originating in an elaborate April Fool's Day joke back in 2005, is actually a real thing that Blizzard is releasing next year.

Originally joked as a mysterious "fifth race," the Pandaren have nonetheless been a much talked-about part of the lore of World of Warcraft in subsequent years and expansions. Now, this new expansion will finally let you create a giant Panda Bear with a penchant for kung-fu fighting, and play him/her as a member of either the Horde or the Alliance. This is the first race in the game that doesn't automatically start out as part of either faction, once again proving that bears cannot be trusted.

In addition to the new playable race, Mists of Pandaria will up the level cap to 90, and add new talent systems, PVE scenarios, a new pet battle system, and a new dungeon challenge mode. Word on the street is that Mists of Pandaria is playable in some form at Blizzcon, so expect more salient details to flow throughout the web during the weekend.

In the meantime, I present to you the following song in celebration of this new Pandaren dominance.

Staff
#2 Posted by ballsnbayonets (155 posts) -

lol bears

#3 Posted by tater3698 (26 posts) -

yessss best thing everr

#4 Posted by subrandom (117 posts) -

PANDAS!

#5 Edited by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

This is still ridiculous. Not that I really care about WoW, but still. Awesome.

#6 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1389 posts) -

That panda looks pretty cool.

#7 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

I feel weird now.

#8 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

so fucking stupid

#9 Posted by HadesTimes (802 posts) -

The big story here too, is the WoW Pass. An annual subscription that you pay monthly that gets you Diablo 3 for free when it comes out. It all most makes me want to reactivate my Wow Account. All most....

#10 Posted by Aishan (1010 posts) -

Not sure it'll be enough to get me back into WoW.

Maybe just one month.

#11 Posted by SomeJerk (3144 posts) -

While I approve of their business model and the way they work, I still want to say that this is a shark I did not expect them to jump.

And you have no idea how many sharks there are left.

Infinite.

They'll retcon until the ends of time.

#12 Posted by ShakeItBaby (163 posts) -

My real question is, what is the conflict of the expansion? Metzen said a greater focus on factional fighting, but what about pve? Who is the bad guy?!

#13 Edited by onan (1283 posts) -

And the number one threat? ...Bears.

(How do they follow up the Cataclysm with a gag expansion?)

#14 Posted by FengShuiGod (1478 posts) -

Wow.....just....wow....

#15 Edited by Brackynews (4045 posts) -

I have a free starter account that probably can't even use store pets, and I've had to stop myself more than once from buying the Pandaren pet.

#16 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

If I was still into wow I would be pretty pissed right now.

#17 Edited by ThePencil (390 posts) -

The only reason i would get this is to see a panda in fucking full plate.

ADDENDUM: The only reason i would get this is to see a panda in fucking full plate, shooting another panda with a gun.

#18 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

I may have to get into WoW again.

#19 Posted by Moonshadow101 (556 posts) -

Most of what I read about this just looks... lazy. The fact that the Monk's tanking tree is called "Brewmaster" is just sad, and all of the eastern elements they're trying to throw in just don't seem like they've been thought through very far. I mean, the monk's resource is called "Chi." Seriously? Am I not supposed to cringe at that?

@SomeJerk: There have been about >two< actual retcons in the entire history of WoW. People overuse that word horribly.

#20 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

I don't play WoW anymore but I'm kinda interested in how the new class(Monk) will work. We already have Priest so...what will it do?

#21 Posted by shintsurugi (75 posts) -

Ryan must be stoked.

#22 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

As someone who has never, and will never play WoW, I could not be more happy that this is a thing.

#23 Posted by ZombiePie (5585 posts) -

I approve of Sifl and Olly. Good job Alex.

#24 Posted by bwheeeler (421 posts) -

Does the annual pass just mean you'll promise to pay your $15 a month for a full year?

#25 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@TehFlan
This is still ridiculous. Not that I really care about WoW, but still. Awesome.
#26 Posted by m0rdr3d (474 posts) -

Wow. Other than the free Diablo 3 news, this is about as silly as it gets. Wasn't the expansion supposed to KEEP people from jumping to TOR?

#27 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

Finding it pretty hard to care about this...

#28 Posted by astonish (211 posts) -

psst the Panderan were actually in WarCraft III, in the expansion they had a playable hero in multiplayer. It goes further back than WoW april fools

#29 Posted by Efesell (495 posts) -

Ahahah I love it.

#30 Posted by drowsap (679 posts) -

what ever i guess its another reason to go back to wow for a month yea lol

#31 Posted by Sergio (2050 posts) -

@MagikOvenMit:

Pretty much, but upfront. I haven't seen the pricing, so it probably will be less than $180. I remember paying less with the 6 month subscription over the monthly fee when I used to play.

#32 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4289 posts) -

@m0rdr3d said:

Wow. Other than the free Diablo 3 news, this is about as silly as it gets. Wasn't the expansion supposed to KEEP people from jumping to TOR?

Anyone who is planning on jumping ship already made their decision. And no, I don't think so. I think 4.3 people is supposed to keep people from jumping to TOR. The expansion is supposed to keep them in WoW after they get bored of 4.3 (and whatever other content there is) and/or bring them back assuming they get tired of TOR. Besides, they're still pulling 8 digit sub numbers and while I imagine that will take a dive in the coming months, I highly doubt they're shaking in their boots.

#33 Posted by MichaelEM3 (33 posts) -

World of Warcraft: Now With Bears!

#34 Posted by Efesell (495 posts) -

@Sergio said:

@MagikOvenMit:

Pretty much, but upfront. I haven't seen the pricing, so it probably will be less than $180. I remember paying less with the 6 month subscription over the monthly fee when I used to play.

Doesn't seem to be, I already added it on.

#35 Posted by roughplague (131 posts) -

Kung fu panda realized in an mmo, hehe.

Still, this is the most interesting thing I've seen about WoW, ever

#36 Posted by DougQuaid (1271 posts) -

So this expansion will be banned in China or will they be replacing all the pandas with walkietalkies or something?

@Vegsen said:

I don't play WoW anymore but I'm kinda interested in how the new class(Monk) will work. We already have Priest so...what will it do?

Druids, Paladins, Shaman and Priests all can heal.

#37 Posted by NinjaCommando (102 posts) -

Kung Fu Panda!

#38 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Man... They are just going to keep on going, huh? I love it.

#39 Edited by plop1920 (448 posts) -

I am so angry right now!!!!!

To be fair space goats crashing on the planet in a giant space ship was pretty stupid too

#40 Posted by TehJedicake (876 posts) -

If WoW's pvp wasn't so carebear I'd still be playing it.

#41 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

This is hilarious but I'm not quite sure how I'll ever be able to take WoW seriously again.

#42 Posted by OtakuGamer (1224 posts) -
#43 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

We wanted pandarians 6 years ago, not now when the game has gone to crap. Sorry but pandarians are not worth getting back into that garbage.

#44 Posted by DHunter329 (86 posts) -

FUCK YES SIFL & OLLY.

#45 Posted by Traegan (111 posts) -

@shintsurugi said:

Ryan must be stoked.

He can make a lady-panda

#46 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I thought this was a joke for the first few paragraphs.

Cataclysm just came out a little while ago and they're already getting the next expansion ready. I'm kinda getting tired of starting over and over, missing content, having to discard all my gear, and pay another $40 on top of the monthly fees. It really feels like WoW is just reaching the end of its lifespan at this point. It's been too long now.

#47 Posted by Protonguy (305 posts) -

So there will literally be Panderen Carebears now?

#48 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

Pandas finally come to wow.. it only took forever! WC3 made me love the pandaren and now they are here. I shall take a break from my 9month wow break and start playing again!... once it releases and none sooner >:D

#49 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

@Kyle said:

Especially since GW2 and TOR are coming.

#50 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

@isnipeyoudie said:

@Kyle said:

Especially since GW2 and TOR are coming.

Yup.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.