Stupid question incoming: Why there's no quick look yet?

#1 Edited by Winterstrike (62 posts) -

First of all hello everybody fellow bombers. Sorry for this topic, feel free to lock it if the staff thinks that this is spam, no problem with it, but my curiosity sometimes it's too strong, and I have to ask it: Why there's no quick look yet for this game?

I've seen that almost every game had a quick look (they're great, thanks Jeff, Brad and Co.) but not this one. Is there any particular reason? Thanks in advance and sorry again.

#2 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1070 posts) -

They just don't give a shit about the expansion. I remember that Ryan gave his copy to Dave so if you are hoping for a quick look, it will be from him.

#3 Posted by adam1808 (1491 posts) -

They have lives to lead? Vinny would have been the one to dive in but he has a kid and thus has ascended to a higher plane of existence.

#4 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

Matt Rorie was the only one when Cataclysm came out that still had an active WoW account, so with him no longer employed by the same people, they probably don't have anyone with a character able to cover it. Besides, they don't really care much about the game anyways.

#5 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11720 posts) -

The reason we haven't seen one is because it would require the staff to still care about World of Warcraft, which they clearly don't. And really, I don't think I'd want to watch another QL where they crap all over MMOs for like the 30th time. We get it: they think that the genre is stagnant and you don't like it anymore.

#6 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

They have lives to lead? Vinny would have been the one to dive in but he has a kid and thus has ascended to a higher plane of existence.

Their jobs entail playing games, creating content, writing and doing videos, so yes, it's their job is to play popular things like this. Sure they have lives, but they also have a job. Personally I don't know why they haven't put a video out for it, but I'd guess they are assuming the people playing that game will get this regardless.

#7 Edited by Ares42 (2661 posts) -

It's just more World of Warcraft. There's really nothing to show other than minute gameplay changes and content (which QLs generally aren't about). For someone invested some of the new stuff might seem big, but from the outside it's still the same exact game.

#8 Posted by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@adam1808 said:

Their jobs entail playing games, creating content, writing and doing videos, so yes, it's their job is to play popular things like this. Sure they have lives, but they also have a job. Personally I don't know why they haven't put a video out for it, but I'd guess they are assuming the people playing that game will get this regardless.

What do you expect them to cover? I'm not hating on WoW (I still play occasionally), but MoP is still WoW. It just has a different continent and new quests. There's nothing new enough to show that would really be worth it. At this point, people know whether they want to play WoW, so there actually isn't much reason to cover it, no matter how popular it is.

#9 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -

Because the WoW hype died off ages ago and I'm sure glad, along with a lot of the community, that fat adolescent nerd isn't on the pay roll any more

#10 Posted by Roland_D11 (190 posts) -

Dave said in the other thread about this that the game ended up on his desk. But I assume there hasn't been time to do anything with it. And like everyone else said, it is just more WoW.

#11 Posted by adam1808 (1491 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@adam1808 said:

At this point, their jobs entail them being themselves and having their specific tastes. None of the QL regulars care about WoW so it doesn't get a QL.

I do get what you're saying though. The people who are in WoW now were going to buy Pandaria regardless and that's probably part of it. Especially they seem to view QL's as providing information on whether you should buy something at this point.

#12 Posted by Mcfart (1624 posts) -

1. Unlike COD, WoW requires committment to even access the new content. Also, it changes even less then COD does every year.

2. Because of the barrier to entry, nobody's going to "pick up" WoW because of a cool QL.

3. Unless Bliz gives them a hacked 85, they won't bother leveling up that much just for a QL nobody needs.

#13 Edited by Zomgfruitbunnies (781 posts) -

It's really hard for someone to give an informed opinion of something like WoW unless he's been following it on a regular basis. They don't currently have someone like that. I think the crew mentioned in the past that they no longer play WoW because it is simply too time consuming, not because they dislike the game.

Also, VanCleef.

#14 Edited by blackichigo (171 posts) -

Does the world really need a video showing what WOW is at this point? The only people that can even play it are the people who bought ALL the other expansions and im pretty sure they know what WOW is. Im not even trying to be a dick, but who really cares? I think about how much time and money it would take to get the most out of that expansion and I instantly think, "No, thanks."

#15 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

@Zomgfruitbunnies: Jeff has said many times that he dislikes the game and the genre as a whole. None of the staff seem particularly keen on MMO's (except maybe Dave?) and the Guild Wars 2 QL wasn't particularly indepth or, well, even worth bothering with.

It seems even more pointless to cover an expansion that's largely the same as the base game, just so they can show it off for 30 minutes and talk about how they don't like it.

#16 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Daryl
Because the WoW hype died off ages ago and I'm sure glad, along with a lot of the community, that fat adolescent nerd isn't on the pay roll any more
Say what?
#17 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (621 posts) -

I can just see how it would go:

Brad: "Hey Ryan, welcome back to the World of Warcraft."

Ryan: "*Sarcastically* Happy to be back, Brad."

Brad: "Look there are Pandas now."

Ryan:"*Sarcastically* That's Great, Brad."

Brad: "Thanks, Ryan.*"

Ryan: "Thanks, Brad"

*Quick Look Over*

#18 Posted by Zaccheus (1793 posts) -

@MyNiceIceLife said:

*Quick Look Over*

Spot on.

#19 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

The WoW community don't need a quicklook, they already have the game if they still decide to waste their time and money on this game.

#20 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (781 posts) -

@MyNiceIceLife said:

*Quick Look Over*

You forgot /dance.

#21 Posted by Winterstrike (62 posts) -

Thanks for the answers to everybody. I was just curious about the reason. In any case they've covered really bad games with a quick look and WoW it's not a bad game despite all the hate is getting, so at least a quick look wasn't a so bad idea, at least in my very personal and very modest opinion of course.

I confess that I was really skeptical too about the announcement of MoP and I didn't buy it at day 1, but at the end I decided to give it a try, and I found that it's a good expansion, yes it's still WoW and I'm not agree with all the choices Blizzard made and I don't know if I'll continue to play it after my game time will expire, but I didn't regret the money I've spent on it and this is what really counts at the end. I have also Guild Wars 2 but at the moment it didn't catch me that much, but I think that it's a very good MMORPG with very much potential, afterall also WoW didn't catch me when I've started playing for the first time years ago but this is another argument.

#22 Posted by Winterstrike (62 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

The WoW community don't need a quicklook, they already have the game if they still decide to waste their time and money on this game.

If you do something you enjoy it's not wasting time or money. You can say the same thing about other stuff if you think about it for a second, neither you or me can say to someone that they're wasting their time and money if they do something they like, you included. There are many examples.

#23 Edited by CaLe (3981 posts) -

@Winterstrike said:

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

If you do something you enjoy it's not wasting time or money. You can say the same thing about other stuff if you think about it for a second, neither you or me can say to someone that they're wasting their time and money if they do something they like, you included. There are many examples.

I agree with you, and I played WoW for 3 years and probably enjoyed my time to a certain extent. However if I look back on it now, I definitely feel like it was a huge waste of time. Of course not everyone feels like this.

I don't get this feeling from any other games I've played over the years.

#24 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@MyNiceIceLife said:

*Quick Look Over*

I think Brad would give the starting areas/new class/new race a decent look, though. I will say that Brad gives every game a fair shake at least.

#25 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

We saw Guild Wars 2 quick look, why do we need to see Blizzard try to emulate Guild Wars 2? They're all the same games.

#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@MyNiceIceLife said:

*Quick Look Over*

Actually, that would be a great QL. They should record that.

#27 Posted by ajamafalous (11990 posts) -

Because Rorie's not here anymore 

:(((((((((((((((((((((((

#28 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Otzlowe said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@adam1808 said:

What do you expect them to cover? I'm not hating on WoW (I still play occasionally), but MoP is still WoW. It just has a different continent and new quests. There's nothing new enough to show that would really be worth it. At this point, people know whether they want to play WoW, so there actually isn't much reason to cover it, no matter how popular it is.

That's exactly what I said in the next sentence.

#29 Posted by yoshisaur (2717 posts) -

Because gamers are cynical and still think it's cool to hate on World of Warcraft. Not to mention that a quick-look of a game that requires countless hours wouldn't really be able to grasp the point or entirety of the reasoning behind it.

#30 Edited by DexterKid (668 posts) -

Because, as the person above me said, it's cool to hate on WoW. Contrary to what quite a few people in this thread have said, WoW expansions aren't just 'more WoW'. The game changes a great deal from expansion to expansion, much more so than the so-called sequels for most popular gaming franchises these days. And frankly the GB crew are very misinformed about what WoW is today and why people continue to play it, and they seem to have a stonewall negative attitude towards MMOs in general (despite the fact that Jeff played 100 hours of SWTOR, which is more than even I did).

And no it has nothing to do with 'there not being anything new to cover', because there absolutely is plenty to cover on MoP, nor is it about 'not serving anyone in particular', cause these guys do all kinds of stupid content on this site that doesn't exactly have a purpose or serve anyone, right now there is an Angry Birds QL on the front page for god's sake. So I think taking an up to date look at WoW, one of the biggest and most popular games in the world, wouldn't be the craziest things for GB to do! But obviously they won't do it, cause you know 'MMOs....meh''.

#31 Posted by TooWalrus (13195 posts) -

Just like China, they don't care.

#32 Posted by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Otzlowe said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@adam1808 said:

That's exactly what I said in the next sentence.

And you have two and a half other sentences making it sound like it's unreasonable of them, regardless.

#33 Posted by ripelivejam (3934 posts) -

@murisan said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

*Quick Look Over*

I think Brad would give the starting areas/new class/new race a decent look, though. I will say that Brad gives every game a fair shake at least.

unless it's RE6 :D

#34 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@ripelivejam

@murisan said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

*Quick Look Over*

unless it's RE6 :D

30 hours is a fair shake. It's just a bad game.
#35 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Yeah guys, it's a game that only appeals to a bunch of weirdos and most of the staff kind of hate it, cant be ever having a quick look for a game like that. It would be unseemly. You know. Seeing as how all quick looks need to be for games that people care about.

#36 Posted by Giantstalker (1646 posts) -

I think at this point, it's fairly well established the crew at this site hate MMOs. They've clearly voiced their opinions on regular MMORPGs, none of them enjoy or see the merit in such games. While they talk a surprising amount about EVE, it really is just talk, and they'll never play it because it's quite frankly beyond their capabilities (not just getting the mechanics down, but even to cover it on the site).

Look how well the Guild Wars 2 quick look went. They've made up their minds on this style of game - until the mainstream genre changes drastically, they won't give it another fair shot.

I think this works out great because they'll stop misrepresenting MMOs, basically by not even trying to get into them at all.

#37 Posted by Milkman (16779 posts) -

Dave is the only one who plays WoW and he didn't play the expansion and he was also in Hawaii.

#38 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3829 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

I think at this point, it's fairly well established the crew at this site hate MMOs. They've clearly voiced their opinions on regular MMORPGs, none of them enjoy or see the merit in such games. While they talk a surprising amount about EVE, it really is just talk, and they'll never play it because it's quite frankly beyond their capabilities (not just getting the mechanics down, but even to cover it on the site).

Look how well the Guild Wars 2 quick look went. They've made up their minds on this style of game - until the mainstream genre changes drastically, they won't give it another fair shot.

I think this works out great because they'll stop misrepresenting MMOs, basically by not even trying to get into them at all.

Yeah I'm not a fan of MMOs for the same reasons they aren't but I agree that at this point they aren't doing any good really with their coverage so they shouldn't even bother. Besides the death of MMOs deal, but I think they even just missed one of those so maybe it'll all be a thing of the past. The Guild Wars 2 quick look was kind of the nail in the coffin. Not really one to rag on the dudes for how they play games in quick looks or whatever but not dodging at all was pretty ridiculous.

#39 Posted by Winterstrike (62 posts) -

Well guys, reading your answers and watching some of the MMORPGs quick looks I think that it's good they didn't do it. Afterall only weirdos (me included) play WoW. ;)

#40 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

The only thing more boring (to me, before anyone starts getting stroppy) than playing an MMO is watching someone else play one.

They are not games that lend themselves well to the QL format because they are, by nature, relatively slow, incredibly samey in terms of what is happening on screen, and of interest only to people who actually would most likely just give them a go anyway.

It's not comparable to saying they QL bad games, because the bad games are generally interesting to watch specifically because they are bad. WoW and what not aren't necessarily bad, they just aren't fun to watch (and, to the staff, to play or talk about, which doesn't help either).

#41 Posted by Hailinel (24707 posts) -

At this point, the only people that have any interest in Mists of Pandaria are people that still have interest in playing WoW, meaning the diehards among the diehards. I'd be surprised if they give the expansion any actual coverage.

#42 Posted by akzo (64 posts) -

Check out the QL for CATA. IMO one of the best they've ever done.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.