Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 13, 2008

Travel to the arctic continent of Northrend in Blizzard's second expansion to the most popular MMORPG ever made.

2.8 Million People Are Playing Wrath of the Lich King

• 65 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    Much like bacon, vikings make everything better. (I bet vikings eat a lot of bacon.)
    Much like bacon, vikings make everything better. (I bet vikings eat a lot of bacon.)
    Just in case you were wondering if the World of Warcraft phenomenon is anywhere close to declining, here's a news flash:  It isn't. Blizzard sent out a release this morning proclaiming Wrath of the Lich King the fastest-selling PC game ever, with 2.8 million copies moved in the first 24 hours alone. (No telling how many more have sold since then.) The previous record was held by...wait for it...the last WOW expansion, Burning Crusade.

How many of you are getting back into WOW because of Lich King? I felt like I'd successfully kicked my WOW habit with finality about 18 months ago, but my will is being sorely tested by this shiny new thing, especially because the last expansion wasn't really what I was looking for. Was anyone really all that excited about Outland? After playing through The Frozen Throne a few years ago, Northrend is where I really wanted to go in WOW, rife with undead as it is. The Scourge-heavy Plaguelands were among my favorite and the most narrative-rich zones in the original WOW, and I hope the arctic north extends that sense of atmosphere and foreboding. Plus, you know, vikings.

...Am I talking myself into playing WOW again? What's going on here?! I guess I do need a game to play on my newish MacBook...

Our resident MMO addicts Dave and Andy are playing a disturbing amount of Lich King at the moment, so you can look forward to slightly more informative coverage in the near future. And while we're on the subject, MTV's Tracey John put together a list of 13 Lich King tips for both newcomers and those about to fall off the wagon.

5. You’re not that far behind. The game has been adjusted to allow new players to level faster. Quests now give more experience points, and the experience points needed to go from level to level has been reduced. To boot, characters can now obtain mounts at level 30 instead of level 40, making questing easier and faster.

Thanks, you're not helping.

Wait a minute. The end of that list reveals that even Brandy--yes, Moesha's Brandy--is getting her grind on in Azeroth. At this point, can I afford not to be playing WOW?
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Brad
    Just in case you were wondering if the World of Warcraft phenomenon is anywhere close to declining, here's a news flash:  It isn't. Blizzard sent out a release this morning proclaiming Wrath of the Lich King the fastest-selling PC game ever, with 2.8 million copies moved in the first 24 hours alone. (No telling how many more have sold since then.) The previous record was held by...wait for it...the last WOW expansion, Burning Crusade.

How many of you are getting back into WOW because of Lich King? I felt like I'd successfully kicked my WOW habit with finality about 18 months ago, but my will is being sorely tested by this shiny new thing, especially because the last expansion wasn't really what I was looking for. Was anyone really all that excited about Outland? After playing through The Frozen Throne a few years ago, Northrend is where I really wanted to go in WOW, rife with undead as it is. The Scourge-heavy Plaguelands were among my favorite and the most narrative-rich zones in the original WOW, and I hope the arctic north extends that sense of atmosphere and foreboding. Plus, you know, vikings.

...Am I talking myself into playing WOW again? What's going on here?! I guess I do need a game to play on my newish MacBook...

Our resident MMO addicts Dave and Andy are playing a disturbing amount of Lich King at the moment, so you can look forward to slightly more informative coverage in the near future. And while we're on the subject, MTV's Tracey John put together a list of 13 Lich King tips for both newcomers and those about to fall off the wagon.

5. You’re not that far behind. The game has been adjusted to allow new players to level faster. Quests now give more experience points, and the experience points needed to go from level to level has been reduced. To boot, characters can now obtain mounts at level 30 instead of level 40, making questing easier and faster.

Thanks, you're not helping.

Wait a minute. The end of that list reveals that even Brandy--yes, Moesha's Brandy--is getting her grind on in Azeroth. At this point, can I afford not to be playing WOW?
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

Totally saw this coming, seriously, who didnt?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

Believe me, you're not alone. I thought I kicked it a long time ago, but I'm right back into it, and going harder then ever.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By daniel_beck_90

it is not really surprising  . World of Warcraft  is the world's largest MMORPG  ,

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose

I'm glad i never got into this crap

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Crono

2.8 at the time of this posting, 11 by morning :p

sociald1077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sociald1077

My Collectors Ed is sitting on my desk, waiting to be opened. So far I am 3 weeks clean though. This is a serious test and I feel myself slipping..

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

BRANDY PLAYS?! I always say im not going to play anymore, but yet, i do. So far I like wotlk a lot. Death knights are really fun to play.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rinkalicous

Managed to stay clean all my life. Although WoW looks fun, i'm not sure my social life can take such a hit.

uhrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uhrag

I played the game from closed beta to BC and now WotLK little for my brother and wasn't excited at all. The game doesn't bring anything new to the experience for me and still feels like a money grabbin scheme more or less. I think I would have gone playing it again if they would have dropped the monthly price atleast to half and make character transfer from server to server free. Especially now when the whole world is feeling the coming economic depression.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Kohe321

WOTLK is fun, Northrend has a really nice oldschool vanilla WoW feel to it. And it kinda feels like Frozen Throne too, it's hard to describe, but the "feeling" and atmosphere is extremely important in games and how much longevity they have - and Blizzard has nailed that completely here.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By lethalki11ler

Thumbs up to Blizz for great expansion

Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Lepuke

Maybe if I didn't have a job and 2 kids (which means limited free time to game these days) I would get back into it, but for me playing from Nov. 2004 until July of 2007 was more than enough.
    Plus owning a competent computer, Xbox 360, and a PS3 give me more than enough non-WoW gaming options these days.
    You know games that have an end.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Endogene

2 friends of mine started playing WOW about two month ago... i never see them any more... RIP guys... RIP...

dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dtran1212

man, whats up with this game? it sucks the life out of you, this is why i don't have any interest in these kinds of games.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422

People need to stop buying this shit honestly, I'll never understand it. Its a 4 year old game with nothing new bought to the table since then besides new areas to run around in, and level up another 10 levels now just like the first time. I wish people would go play a real game.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By LaszloKovacs

I gave up the WoW junk last year shortly after I hit 70 and I haven't looked back. I have absolutely no desire to begin playing again, but it's beyond maddening to watch all my friends disappear back into it.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By demonbear

Look, it goes like this. If you liked wow, you'll like lich king, that's it. Its not reinventing nothing, its just more better, shinier, cooler wow, but its still wow.

Im playing it right now and im having a blast with my friends. THAT'S what matters in a game.

I say go for it, Brad. Northrend is worth your time.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422
    demonbear said:
    "Look, it goes like this. If you liked wow, you'll like lich king, that's it. Its not reinventing nothing, its just more better, shinier, cooler wow, but its still wow.

Im playing it right now and im having a blast with my friends. THAT'S what matters in a game.

I say go for it, Brad. Northrend is worth your time."
    It really isn't. Brad has better things to do, he has real games to review. Going back and playing WoW now would be suicide.
    greatseth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By greatseth

Hmm... yeah... still don't care.

sociald1077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sociald1077
    pause422 said:
    "demonbear said:
    "Look, it goes like this. If you liked wow, you'll like lich king, that's it. Its not reinventing nothing, its just more better, shinier, cooler wow, but its still wow.

I say go for it, Brad. Northrend is worth your time."
    It really isn't. Brad has better things to do, he has real games to review. Going back and playing WoW now would be suicide."
    So having fun with your friends is not what gaming is about? I think you re-check your ideas of gaming. 

Fun is what its about, and there is different fun for different people. COD and GTA do not consistute the definition of fun. 
    makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By makari

More of the same *shrug* That satisfies a hell of a lot of people though, clearly

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Milkman

@pause422

Are you really that stupid? How could you say World of Warcraft isn't a "real game"? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it's not a real game...Ignorance FTL

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pause422

It isn't ignorance, I know exactly what I'm talking about, and I have no need to explain it to you. Believe what you want, and I'll do the same.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#25  Edited By dudacles

I never got into WoW, and it's unlikely I ever will.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus

I play WoW. I'm in college 16 hours a week, and I work 24 hours a week. I do my homework, I hang out with friends, I play my Xbox 360... AND play WoW. To say that it sucks your life away is pretty lame. Don't hate on someone just because of the games they play. Games are for fun, and if you think WoW is fun, good for you.

Andrwmorph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Andrwmorph

I'm 6 months clean myself. The sad thing is, I would probably pick up Lich King if I had a working computer at home.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By demonbear
    pause422 said:
    "It isn't ignorance, I know exactly what I'm talking about, and I have no need to explain it to you. Believe what you want, and I'll do the same."
    It IS ignorance. Brad reviews games during his office time and he'll make room for his duties. If he starts playing wow, he's obviously refering to his personal time. He's a professionnal. The fact that you can't even realize that proves you don't know what your talking about. Leave. Thanks for posting.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By demonbear
    TooWalrus said:
    "I play WoW. I'm in college 16 hours a week, and I work 24 hours a week. I do my homework, I hang out with friends, I play my Xbox 360... AND play WoW. To say that it sucks your life away is pretty lame. Don't hate on someone just because of the games they play. Games are for fun, and if you think WoW is fun, good for you."
    THIS guy gets it.
    MilkmanDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MilkmanDan

I've played this for about a month and a half, back when Burning Crusade was released.  Ultimately, I don't really like the structure of this game.  I want to take my time and enjoy exploring, hang out with my friends, but the game is always pushing you to level up, level up, level up. It's like they want to rush you as fast as possible toward the end game content.  Why?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pause422
    demonbear said:
    "pause422 said:
    "It isn't ignorance, I know exactly what I'm talking about, and I have no need to explain it to you. Believe what you want, and I'll do the same."
    It IS ignorance. Brad reviews games during his office time and he'll make room for his duties. If he starts playing wow, he's obviously refering to his personal time. He's a professionnal. The fact that you can't even realize that proves you don't know what your talking about. Leave. Thanks for posting."
    Lmao, you end with 'leave', I guess you seem to think you're a mod or something. Anyone can have an opinion, get over the fact that yours is different than mine. I don't realize hes a professional? That doesn't even make sense, I've most likely followed the guys working here at GB far longer than you have, and I like them all enough to realize they know what they're talking about. You made one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen exist right there, good work.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By demonbear

You say things that are incorrect. These are not opinions, its bull****. Impliying that Brad's eventual return to wow would be anything negative is quite stupid. I stand by my statements. Think they are dumb? yeah whatever. But please, you can leave the thread now and avoid further embarrassment. Thank you. I'm done now. Moving on.

Fiziks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fiziks

I'm not sure where this idea of WoW sucking the life out of people comes from. In the last expansion I was able to raid all the available content, yet still have time to go to class, do homework, and have a good time with my mates. In the 4 some odd hours people play games per day instead of playing 3-4 different games, I just played one.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By demonbear
    MilkmanDan said:
    "I've played this for about a month and a half, back when Burning Crusade was released.  Ultimately, I don't really like the structure of this game.  I want to take my time and enjoy exploring, hang out with my friends, but the game is always pushing you to level up, level up, level up. It's like they want to rush you as fast as possible toward the end game content.  Why?"
    I've felt that too in the past. Im not so sure its about the way the game is built and much more about the way people are playing it. It's a fact there's alot of elitism in wow. And when new content launches, like it or not, its always somewhat of a race to the finish line. Peer pressure and instinct of competition does the rest.

The key is to play at YOUR pace the way YOU want to enjoy this content.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pause422

Its funny that you seem to think I'm the one embarassing myself, even if that is somehow possible in a thread over the internet, by the statements you're using. Brad Jeff/Ryan here at GB themselves have admitted they want to stay away from 'the crack' (the game) plenty of times because they don't want to get sucked back into it, due to having no interest in playing a single game for so long, and that's what it does to you. When you get some facts to backup anything you're claiming, let me know. You can continue attempting to give orders now on the forums though, tough guy.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By DJ_Lae

I will never go back to World of Warcraft.

Avatar image for chocobo_blitzer
    Chocobo_Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Chocobo_Blitzer

For what it's worth Brad, the questing in Lich King has so far been pretty good. That seems weird to say, as if to go "this is the best garbage i've had yet!" but seriously, the quests are a great deal more entertaining than before. Most of what's going on feels pretty cohesive, this is the closest WoW has been to having an overarching story. That, and there's some neat technology at work with their dynamic quests. I don't know what it's called technically, but basically stuff will change depending on what quests you've done, making the bits of storytelling more meaningful. For instance say a friendly NPC dies during a quest, they'll stay dead rather than respawn for the next guy to come do the quest. That's not to say the world is going to be radically different by the time you're done with a zone, but there are some nice touches to make it feel you're playing a campaign or something.

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By sloppyjoe

but there are 11million subscribers.... i would have expected more.  i suppose many wait until xmas or at least another weekend

NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By NateDogg

People have died from playing WOW.

What does that tell you people :)
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gizmo

I was a wow-addict for 16 months.

Got a beautiful HDTV.
    Got awesome speakers.
    Got a Xbox 360.

After having it (xbox)break the other day, the thought of returning to WoW seems... likely.
    Somewhere in Spring 09 though, I am going to be on Left 4 Dead.

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Scorched

too expensive for me at the moment with all these other games
    I would enjoy getting back into it though

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By AndrewB

... thus obliterating my hope for a new Warcraft RTS.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a surprise, after BC I stopped WoW for about 5 months but now im thinking of getting back into it, all my friends are playing. 

WoW is like drugs, but worst.
    killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By killdave

Damn ... I want to return after an 11 month break ! ...

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By DukeTogo

Been playing WoW since launch.  I've stopped a few times, even deleted my gear and left my toon naked face down dead floating in Booty Bay to keep me from coming back.  But I did, and once I got into a guild and geared my guy up, I've had more fun in WoW this past six months than I did the years before.

WotLK really builds on what was done before and is arguably what many wanted when BC came out.  The quests are fun, short, laden with story so it's not just a fetch quest.  The zones are fleshed out and feel much more like they belong there with less obvious borders and limitations on level requirements.  It's also very clear that Blizz is catering to the casual crowd for much of the content. 

My guild raided up to mid BT and cleared Hyjal.  So we aren't an uber SWP guild decked out in full T6 gear.  My rogue was still very much in T5-T6 and badge gear when Wrath came out.  I'm now level 76, and I've not yet seen one upgrade to my gear, meaning everything up to now is aimed at players who hit 70 and did little to no raiding with probably the only epics being PVP gear or a crafted piece.  So if that describes you, you've got plenty to do and upgrades galore.

I was skeptikal before it shipped.  More of the same and harder stuff to suck my time away was looking like all I had to look forward to.  But so far it appears that it's quite the contrary.  Quests have been fun, offering new things not done or done only once before in the old content.  I'm already exalted with a faction merely by doing quests, not weeks of daily quests or turn-ins.  Raids have been cleared by the top guilds and are being called "too easy" already.  But if that means I can raid a couple nights a week and still get to see it all without making WoW a second job, that's a good thing.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Media_Master

Never had a Wow addiction, don't plan to either

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#47  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

World of Warcraft's voodoo jedi mind tricks still don't work on me, and I'm proud of it! But 2.8 million people isn't really a surprise for me.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nok

It's been a good expansion so far. Music is awesome, and they have done a really nice job of further expanding the games art style to pull off some pretty cool locals. Just way to many other games out right now for me to invest to much time, wait for summer I suppose. 

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jayzilla

WOW is like Smack. I have never tried either.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Buscemi

Awesome! Made a new character some time ago though, so I'm only level 30. I guess I'll get it... whenever I hit 70.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.