Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 13, 2008

Travel to the arctic continent of Northrend in Blizzard's second expansion to the most popular MMORPG ever made.

PTR - Mage Talents

ColinD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ColinD

I've been excited about the changes in the PTR for awhile now. I've been testing some different specs out.

DPSAttack Time (before mana runs out)
    Fire1335 6 minutes
    Frost1206 5 minutes
    Arcane1008 4 minutes

For every spec I use my trinkets and talented spells like combustion, icy veins, water elemental, arcane power, etc. as often as possible. I'm also using mana gems, arcane torrent and evocation. Usually 2 gems are consumed, 1 evocation and 2-3 torrents. All the PVE talents are chosen from the tree, +mana or +damage, but only fire uses more than one tree. (8 are put into frost for the 3% spell hit.)

FIRE
    My fire rotation is scorch x5 then fireball and pyroblast when it procs.

FROST
    The frost rotation is Water Elemental, frostbolt and fireball or icelance when brain freeze or fingers of frost proc respectively. 

ARCANE
    Arcane Blast, Arcane Barrage and repeat. Arcane Missiles are used when clearcasting or missile barrage procs.

-

So why is Arcane such a lower DPS than the other two specs? Usually a class with lower DPS has more utility as in Frost where the mage's survivability increase drastically from that of a Fire spec. Arcane has very little utility, mana regeneration and DPS. I would be happy to entertain a different rotation for any of these specs or an argument as to why Arcane has more utility than a Frost or Fire spec.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.