Wrath of the Lich Ding

• 52 results
Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Arthas sez "Chew yer food!"
With each new World of Warcraft expansion comes a bump in the level cap, which inevitably leads to a bunch of lunatics racing to see who can hit the new cap first. Well, 27 hours after the launch of World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King in Europe, a French player named Nymh has the honor (?) of being the first player to hit level 80. MMO-Champion has an interview with the dude, explaining how he got to level 80 with such speed, a process I'm sure was just as thrilling to do as it is to read about.

I realize that it'll take most people a bit longer to hit 80, and that Nymh has only seen a sliver of the content Wrath of the Lich King has to offer, but I'm boggled by this mindset of racing to the end of a game that you intend to keep playing in perpetuity. It's like waiting two years for a delicious, tender, perfectly marbled steak, and then throwing it in a blender since chewing takes too much time. Isn't that something you'd want to savor? Also, ew?

Then again, I've never been able to wrap my head around the appeal of endgame content in an MMO, which I think is largely because of my professional appreciation of the closure provided by a single-player narrative. I liken endgame play to a strip club: no matter how much time and money you sink into it, you're just going to end up going home alone, frustrated, and penniless.
Staff
#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Arthas sez "Chew yer food!"
With each new World of Warcraft expansion comes a bump in the level cap, which inevitably leads to a bunch of lunatics racing to see who can hit the new cap first. Well, 27 hours after the launch of World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King in Europe, a French player named Nymh has the honor (?) of being the first player to hit level 80. MMO-Champion has an interview with the dude, explaining how he got to level 80 with such speed, a process I'm sure was just as thrilling to do as it is to read about.

I realize that it'll take most people a bit longer to hit 80, and that Nymh has only seen a sliver of the content Wrath of the Lich King has to offer, but I'm boggled by this mindset of racing to the end of a game that you intend to keep playing in perpetuity. It's like waiting two years for a delicious, tender, perfectly marbled steak, and then throwing it in a blender since chewing takes too much time. Isn't that something you'd want to savor? Also, ew?

Then again, I've never been able to wrap my head around the appeal of endgame content in an MMO, which I think is largely because of my professional appreciation of the closure provided by a single-player narrative. I liken endgame play to a strip club: no matter how much time and money you sink into it, you're just going to end up going home alone, frustrated, and penniless.
Staff
#2 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1162 posts) -

It's self indulgence at it's finest, something WoW addicts know all too well.

#3 Posted by breton (1437 posts) -

He also said he was in beta. How much is there to savor after that?

#4 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -

Yeah, I remember when bc came out, it was similar.

#5 Posted by MachoFantastico (4650 posts) -

I will happily admit it took me over a year of on and off WoW to get to level 40. I hate grinding all the time so I never rushed myself, but to reach level 80 that quick is insane!

The guy needs to relax and go outside. France is such a beauitufl country aswell.

#6 Posted by AndrewB (7589 posts) -

In the arms race for high level MMO characters, the French have beaten us all. Who could have foreseen this!!!

#7 Posted by darkjester74 (1575 posts) -

I get the feeling he was playing on his laptop, while sitting on the toilet and with a microwave within arm's reach.

#8 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

Someone else nearly had it a full 10 hours or so before him or whatever, but they got banned at level 79. So just think of it as really second place.

#9 Posted by Plipster (132 posts) -

The sad part? In a month nobody will remember who this is.

I know I can't remember who was the first to 70 other then everyone thought it was kinda crap to lvl up via grinding then...well...playing the games quests and stuff.

So bypassing the fun aspect to be the first to something? Nah.

#10 Posted by Death_Burnout (3796 posts) -

Thats a good analogy there Jeff.

I dont get why people race like that, its pretty sad, dude, savor it you morons!!!

I was thinking of getting this today, but then i realised if i bought it now i still wouldnt be fully ready to go to Northrend

#11 Posted by FLStyle (4666 posts) -

@ Death_Burnout - Don't you mean Ryan?

I can't say I feel like I'll ever get to the level cap of an MMO, it seems to me like turning 18 or 21, you won't feel any different than the day before, so why the big deal?
#12 Posted by TooWalrus (13173 posts) -

Endgame content is great. There's really nothing more satisfying than hearing 24 other people just FREAK OUT when you down a boss for the first time. It's awesome. But why race to be the first? Without other dudes your level, you can't really do shit.

#13 Posted by BinaryDragon (638 posts) -

Beautiful. Loved the sentiment. :D Made me laugh.

#14 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11636 posts) -

That is an awesome analogy.
But yeah, WoW is the example of a game that is past its peak and now will only start to lose players instead of gain them.

#15 Posted by zeox (87 posts) -

Can't you post something about World of Warcraft and not make fun of it? It's starting to get annoying to see some snarky comment with every single mention of the game

#16 Posted by GodzillaVsJapan (104 posts) -

Great comparison with the steak, but its all about bragging rights. First level 80 getting an interview and you posting a blog on it gives all the attention. But in the same way he will be the first to experience level 80 content as well

#17 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Congrats to....

*Reads the story again*

errrrr, Nymh.

#18 Posted by Andrwmorph (37 posts) -

I've been clean for 6 months and I'm proud to say that I have no urge to buy the new expansion.

...almost no urge...

#19 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -

Lol that was hella fast!

#20 Edited by Hamst3r (4481 posts) -

MMORPGs are a sickening, infected pustule on gaming. :\

#21 Edited by Charleslegrand (186 posts) -

Getting to 80 first is just as stupid as it was back then when the first guy hit 70 (some gnome mage or something).  Sure, put that on your resume, but at the end of the day, it's just a number that doesn't mean anything to 99.83671965713328432648308411768 % of the population (World POPclock projection and rounding the amount of WoW players to 11 millions).

Now, if you're name is Bill Gates and you've actually accomplished something, I think we agree this percentage is much much much lower.

But hey, good job big fella!
#22 Posted by sk0ney (51 posts) -
#23 Posted by Milkman (16677 posts) -

That analogy at the end of the article is awesome.

#24 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4240 posts) -

Well, it may not make sense to us who plod through level after level, but the guy scored an interview and got his name in lights (15 seconds of fame is about the internet rate, yes?).

#25 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

WoW is just , as always, sucking up tons of $$$ from addicted players

#26 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Typo in title fail.

#27 Edited by Crono (2655 posts) -

From 70 to 80 in 27 hours - Sponsored by Red Bull and 5-Hour Energy Drink.

Also to guy below me - What typo?  Its a pun. You fail.

#28 Posted by Blinck (185 posts) -

good for him, he achieved nothing

#29 Edited by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Wow, so the game lasted him 27 hours?  What a waste.  It's almost as bad as the folks who buy a high level account, they totally skip the fun of the game.
When I got to 60, there was nothing left for me to do so I stopped playing the next day.  Then I got to 70, but same deal.  Now they expect me to go to 80?  No way.

#30 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Crono said:
"From 70 to 80 in 27 hours - Sponsored by Red Bull and 5-Hour Energy Drink.

Also to guy below me - What typo?  Its a pun. You fail."
OMG U FAIL HE FAIL THIS HOLE ARTICEL IS FAYUL!
I actually knew it was a pun, even though it took a sec to sink in because my days of Dingin' on WoW are past me.
#31 Posted by Coldbrand (215 posts) -

What happened to your coverage of Warhammer Online? You just cut that off without explanation.

#32 Posted by Gelatinousgelboy (193 posts) -

And so Ryan points out the essential flaw in level/gear based MMOs.

#33 Posted by Destroyeron (356 posts) -

Actually congrats to Athene who would've done it first but got fucked over by Blizzard, who continues to disappoint me.

#34 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Yeah great, that guy has no social life whatsoever I presume, yes other then in WoW. I

I stopped after getting to 70 in BS and not buying the Lich king, I hope . . . .
#35 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

I think what's even funnier is that Nymh got banned for doing it too, as Blizzard deemed it "cheating".

And given that he's quite the celebrity in the WoW world, that's pretty nutzo.  Just go type in his name on YouTube and watch his videos for "Death Knight Spree", "Hard Like Heroic", and "M.A.G.E.".
#36 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

I think Blizzard should have put in some lower level content in Wrath.

#37 Posted by Dimsey (951 posts) -

Was kind of one of the reasons I stopped playing WoW, though I admit I'll probably go back to it sooner or later.
People rushing through the game and worst of all, trying to rush me.
I was in a Guild with nice enough folk, but they were always in a hurry to get to the next level while I was all "Hey guys! Whats that over there? Can we explore that?" and then they'll be all "Not NOW we just have to get to level whatever!"

With MMO's I'm a stop and smell the roses kind of guy. I like to explore these worlds and not just kill the dudes in them, which doesn't work well with most peoples playstyle of GRINDGRINDGRIND.

#38 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

I don't know...some strip clubs are pretty satisfying.

#39 Posted by RedCricketChase (444 posts) -

I met my boyfriend over WoW, and a year later am living the high life! TY, WOW!

#40 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
Hamst3r said:
MMORPGs are a sickening, infected pustule on gaming. :\

You should write a song about it.
#41 Posted by the_purgatory_station (408 posts) -

lol   oh man

#42 Posted by RelentlessKnight (963 posts) -

>_>, i bet he got a legion of fans to help him dinged 80 because of his shitty music videos

#43 Posted by Gameaholic (2 posts) -

WOTLK is just MORE of the SAME, but considering MILLIONS like said SAME, who cares ?
Seriously 2.0 though people, Wrath of the Lich King is expansion pack, i checked the box no where does it read "Radically revolutionizes teh old shizzle to the Revoluzissle", really i checked, wait let me check again..... Nope still no disclaimer claiming l33tness from the upper-room. So when we look at WOTLK and we see WOTLK as it is in its true form, nothing more then more of the same more we had with the burning crusade, we see that it is, more of the same that is. So why bother writing "Blegh just more of the same, i not playing this garbage" even tough your installing it on your computer and two buffbot accounts, It is what it is and its nothing more then more of the same. Respect it or /ignore.

And yes, i am not intoxicated in anyway shape or form. I blame this one on voluntary sleep deprivation.

#44 Posted by spen (2 posts) -

I would race to 80 just to kill the lowbies;)

#45 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -

Hahahahah @ ' I liken endgame play to a strip club: no matter how much time and money you sink into it, you're just going to end up going home alone, frustrated, and penniless. '

#46 Posted by TFG (52 posts) -

So, whats that guy gonna do now? Just not play for the next month, aha.
Nobody to raid with for weeks.

#47 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Actually Athene is the first person to lvl 80. He was halfway through lvl 79 in 14 hours when Blizzard banned him for no reason (check youtube).

#48 Posted by runin (7 posts) -

Wotlk is release end-game content is cleared, took two\three days (depending, release on 13, cleared on 15) to get to 80 + clear what got released. It's one thing to fast-track to eightly, it's another thing to get there and realize noone is waiting for you to cheer you on to your quest for glory (because if the best takes 68 hrs to get to 80+clear endgame raid content, it wont take the rest long either).

http://www.twentyfifthnovember.com/

grats to them, i guess.

#49 Edited by Rowr (5544 posts) -
Ryan said:
"I liken endgame play to a strip club: no matter how much time and money you sink into it, you're just going to end up going home alone, frustrated, and penniless."
Your doing it wrong!

ProTip = Hit on the chick at the bar serving drinks, she will likely be starved of attention while everyones busy looking at titties.

#50 Posted by Stinkins (32 posts) -

Best.  Topic Title.  Ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.