14 GB download and switched to US Launcher so I can't log in. WTF

#1 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

So today I came back from seeing Pendulum and decided to load up WoW to see I had a 14gb update...shocked I checked the net but nothing came up. 

I load up the launcher and realise it's the US version... so I can't play. 

Anyone know how the hell this has happened?

#2 Posted by Fallen189 (4988 posts) -

A wizard did it

#3 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" A wizard did it "
Hilarious. 

Joking aside, it's days until Cataclysm and if I can't roll my Goblin Rogue at 00:00 I'm going to be fucking pissed. 

The new Forums at Battle.net are dead and the phone lines are so busy they won't answer me.
#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13167 posts) -

I would uninstall WoW and log into the website with your UK (or wherever, I don't know) account, and click the Download Game Client links, and go for a fresh install.

#5 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" I would uninstall WoW and log into the website with your UK (or wherever, I don't know) account, and click the Download Game Client links, and go for a fresh install. "
That's 30 gig of data. 

I get 1 mbp/s download speeds at best and then I'm throttled so hard I can't do anything else whilst it's downloading.
#6 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -

That bites! Something tells me you're going to have to reinstall it, I doubt there's anything they can do to change the regional version of your install.

#7 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

Maybe... it's for the best.

#8 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@hexx462 said:
" That bites! Something tells me you're going to have to reinstall it, I doubt there's anything they can do to change the regional version of your install. "
So how did it change from EU to US in the first place? This literally changed today... no idea why. 

I've tried removing the files from my PC but it says only an administrator can change the files. What the fuck! I'm the only user of this PC!
#9 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

This patch is optional as it's just redownloading data or something.  You should be able to play by running wow.exe instead of launcher.exe to bypass the patch.

#10 Posted by FateOfNever (1830 posts) -

You're probably going to have to re-install, assuming that you still have the discs for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath still.  That, or just install the patch and everything and see what happens afterwards.  Though, be forewarned there are two more patches after 4.0.1; patches 4.0.3 and 4.0.3a.

The 14gig patch was for patch 4.0.1, which included all of the class changes and stuff, and also had the new launcher with it, so it's a legit patch and everything.  

The other option is just wait until Cataclysm comes out and buy a hard copy of the game and just install from the disc.

#11 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -
@RiotBananas:  Something pointed you in the wrong direction I'm guessing. There's going to be a lot of insanity and heartbreak over the next few weeks. I've seen some crazy shit happen. My girlfriend had all her purchased and special (collector's ed. etc)  pets removed from her pet menu and they showed up in the mail about an hour later. Considering she's one of the top pet collectors on the server we play on that made for a harrowing hour.   

Did you go to the control panel/add remove programs and try and uninstall from there?
#12 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@hexx462 said:
" @RiotBananas:  Something pointed you in the wrong direction I'm guessing. There's going to be a lot of insanity and heartbreak over the next few weeks. I've seen some crazy shit happen. My girlfriend had all her purchased and special (collector's ed. etc)  pets removed from her pet menu and they showed up in the mail about an hour later. Considering she's one of the top pet collectors on the server we play on that made for a harrowing hour.    Did you go to the control panel/add remove programs and try and uninstall from there? "
It doesn't even show up there. I think it may because the WoW folder is in the Public folder? 

I try moving it to my personal user folder but it can't move it because "the folder or a file inside it is being use by another program" 

Literally no idea what's happening. 

@FateOfNever
said:
" You're probably going to have to re-install, assuming that you still have the discs for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath still.  That, or just install the patch and everything and see what happens afterwards.  Though, be forewarned there are two more patches after 4.0.1; patches 4.0.3 and 4.0.3a.  The 14gig patch was for patch 4.0.1, which included all of the class changes and stuff, and also had the new launcher with it, so it's a legit patch and everything.    The other option is just wait until Cataclysm comes out and buy a hard copy of the game and just install from the disc. "
I already had all of those patches and was able to play until I logged out and this crap happened.
#13 Posted by FateOfNever (1830 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:

@FateOfNever
said:
" You're probably going to have to re-install, assuming that you still have the discs for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath still.  That, or just install the patch and everything and see what happens afterwards.  Though, be forewarned there are two more patches after 4.0.1; patches 4.0.3 and 4.0.3a.  The 14gig patch was for patch 4.0.1, which included all of the class changes and stuff, and also had the new launcher with it, so it's a legit patch and everything.    The other option is just wait until Cataclysm comes out and buy a hard copy of the game and just install from the disc. "
I already had all of those patches and was able to play until I logged out and this crap happened. "
So you already have up to patch 4.0.3a, and for some reason, today, it switched you over to the US version.. hmm.  

Well, since you mentioned being unable to move the folder due to it being "in use", have you tried rebooting your computer yet?  Also, are you trying to run the game from a desktop shortcut or from the game file?  I know for a while they were telling people to try and run the game from the game folder instead of from a shortcut due to the game freaking out and thinking you have a different version of the game if you try using a shortcut.  If you've already tried this, however.. and you've already rebooted your computer.. then... umm...  yeah, unfortunately I'm not too sure what to tell you :(
#14 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

Blizzard repair tool is picking up my "Detected Locale" as enUS. 

#15 Posted by FateOfNever (1830 posts) -

All right, I may have found something for you.

What version of the game SHOULD you be running?  EU?  

If so, on the old US forums, I found that you can change the EU version to the US version, so you should be able to change it from the US to the EU.  The information they provided was-

"Open realmlist.wtf with a text editor (right click open -> Notepad)

Change it to read

set realmlist us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com
set patchlist us.version.worldofwarcraft.com"

So, if you change them from us.logon to eu.logon, and us.version to eu.version...  that might work?

#16 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@FateOfNever said:
" All right, I may have found something for you.  What version of the game SHOULD you be running?  EU?    If so, on the old US forums, I found that you can change the EU version to the US version, so you should be able to change it from the US to the EU.  The information they provided was-"Open realmlist.wtf with a text editor (right click open -> Notepad) Change it to read set realmlist us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com set patchlist us.version.worldofwarcraft.com"  So, if you change them from us.logon to eu.logon, and us.version to eu.version...  that might work? "
I'll try this next. 

I literally just went through my game files and delete all the "enUS" files. 
#17 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4710 posts) -
@FateOfNever said:
" All right, I may have found something for you.  What version of the game SHOULD you be running?  EU?    If so, on the old US forums, I found that you can change the EU version to the US version, so you should be able to change it from the US to the EU.  The information they provided was-"Open realmlist.wtf with a text editor (right click open -> Notepad) Change it to read set realmlist us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com set patchlist us.version.worldofwarcraft.com"  So, if you change them from us.logon to eu.logon, and us.version to eu.version...  that might work? "
This will indeed work. I've done it a few times for non-legit servers.
#18 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

How was Pendulum?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.