Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

<3 Hackers! Finally got my Battle.net account back.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

Edited By jimbo_n

I should start this off by saying that I never ever ever ever share account information with anyone else.

So a couple of weeks ago I noticed something strange on my Giant Bomb profile. World of Warcraft achievements! Having your WoW account tied to your profile is a really good way to see if someone else is playing on your account. I was earning achievements in the game even tho I haven't played it in probably close to a year now. Hours later I get an e-mail saying my password has been changed and just like that I could no longer log in to my WoW Account management. Someone had hacked my WoW account even tho I would never in my wildest dreams share my info with anyone.
    This was only the beginning of a series of events concerning my whole overall battle.net account. 
    Alright. So I filled in some forms on the Blizzard support site and took a picture of my drivers license and sent in to prove that I was the right person for that perticular CD-Key.  
    After a while they got back to me and allowed me to reset my WoW Account password. Great! 

I thought I was in the clear. But a day or so later I get an e-mail saying something about changing my contact information and options on my overall Battle.net account. I try to log into it and I literally slam my fist into the desk when I see something like "please enter the authenticator code from the authenticator connected to this account".  
    The thing is, I do not own an authenticator. Great, just great. So it starts again. I fill in some more forms on the support site and wait for a response, all the while knowing that someone else can do whatever they want with all of my Blizzard game licenses. 
    After a day or so I get a mail back allowing me to change my battle.net account password. I change it but the problem remains. There's still an authenticator connected to the account that some dickish kid connected to it.  
    This time I decide to just write an e-mail to the support without going through these tedious forms. Turns out that was a bad idea. after probably 5 days or so I get an e-mail back saying I have to e-mail the EU support since I live in EU and that they cannot help me.... siigh. I guess that was amistake on my part. 

After this I came down with a really bad cold and I couldn't for the life of me bring myself to care about this whole situation for a while. In the middle of this cold I get an e-mail saying that my frikkin Warhammer Online account options has been changed. Seriously?! Whoever decided to invade my PC decided to move on to the next MMO I have installed. 
    I got even sicker and couldn't do anything about the situation. Today I finally felt like doing something about this again. But just like that I can now log into my Battle.net and Warhammer Online account again. Did the hacker decide to move on? I was all prepared to start going through webforms again but it seems the authenticator has been removed and that my WAR account is intact and unplayed. 
    Seeing as I never ever share accounts or account information I have cleansed my PC as much as I can with Anti spyware/malware programs and I can only hope that I've removed whoever was invading my privacy. 
    This all started just a day or so after I merged my Battle.net account with my WoW account, decided to put in all of my older blizzard game CD-Keys into my Bnet acc and signed up for the Beta program. But I really have no idea what was causing all this. I can only hope that it won't happen again-
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By jimbo_n

I should start this off by saying that I never ever ever ever share account information with anyone else.

So a couple of weeks ago I noticed something strange on my Giant Bomb profile. World of Warcraft achievements! Having your WoW account tied to your profile is a really good way to see if someone else is playing on your account. I was earning achievements in the game even tho I haven't played it in probably close to a year now. Hours later I get an e-mail saying my password has been changed and just like that I could no longer log in to my WoW Account management. Someone had hacked my WoW account even tho I would never in my wildest dreams share my info with anyone.
    This was only the beginning of a series of events concerning my whole overall battle.net account. 
    Alright. So I filled in some forms on the Blizzard support site and took a picture of my drivers license and sent in to prove that I was the right person for that perticular CD-Key.  
    After a while they got back to me and allowed me to reset my WoW Account password. Great! 

I thought I was in the clear. But a day or so later I get an e-mail saying something about changing my contact information and options on my overall Battle.net account. I try to log into it and I literally slam my fist into the desk when I see something like "please enter the authenticator code from the authenticator connected to this account".  
    The thing is, I do not own an authenticator. Great, just great. So it starts again. I fill in some more forms on the support site and wait for a response, all the while knowing that someone else can do whatever they want with all of my Blizzard game licenses. 
    After a day or so I get a mail back allowing me to change my battle.net account password. I change it but the problem remains. There's still an authenticator connected to the account that some dickish kid connected to it.  
    This time I decide to just write an e-mail to the support without going through these tedious forms. Turns out that was a bad idea. after probably 5 days or so I get an e-mail back saying I have to e-mail the EU support since I live in EU and that they cannot help me.... siigh. I guess that was amistake on my part. 

After this I came down with a really bad cold and I couldn't for the life of me bring myself to care about this whole situation for a while. In the middle of this cold I get an e-mail saying that my frikkin Warhammer Online account options has been changed. Seriously?! Whoever decided to invade my PC decided to move on to the next MMO I have installed. 
    I got even sicker and couldn't do anything about the situation. Today I finally felt like doing something about this again. But just like that I can now log into my Battle.net and Warhammer Online account again. Did the hacker decide to move on? I was all prepared to start going through webforms again but it seems the authenticator has been removed and that my WAR account is intact and unplayed. 
    Seeing as I never ever share accounts or account information I have cleansed my PC as much as I can with Anti spyware/malware programs and I can only hope that I've removed whoever was invading my privacy. 
    This all started just a day or so after I merged my Battle.net account with my WoW account, decided to put in all of my older blizzard game CD-Keys into my Bnet acc and signed up for the Beta program. But I really have no idea what was causing all this. I can only hope that it won't happen again-
    SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SoothsayerGB

I know the feeling.  Had my WoW accounts stolen twice.  Before I attached a authenticator. 

They can get into your PC all kinds of ways.  But you say they attached a authenticator? That sounds like account sellers. You can know for sure, by checking your armory page.  If all your gear is stripped.  Then RMT have it.   Also be sure to change your email passwords frequently.  Just in case they are in there already.

Then backup, reformat, and reinstall.  Don't worry.  It will take time and patience.  But Blizzard will give you back everything and help you secure it.   They did with me and I am a dick.   

Sure Mythic will too.  Just takes a little working out.  MMO-RPG mods hate account hackers as much as we do.  Also you can post on more active WoW community sites for help.  They will give you all kinds of tips. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.