Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

A World (of Warcraft) without spiders?

Avatar image for anthropomorphic_bear
    Anthropomorphic_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I've been wanting to get in to World of Warcraft for a while now, and every time an expansion has dropped I have tried. However, every time, I run in to an area infested with spiders or a quest involving defeating the little scamps and I simply cannot progress. If it isn't clear by this point (or evident by the topic title), I have a mild case of arachnophobia (heretofore known as spiderphobia, as that is easier to type). It's a pain in this context, as I have really gotten in to the WoW business leading up to these walls and I do want to see the endgame which everyone keeps on raving on about, except the spiderphobia keeps me from getting anywhere the good stuff. I'm sure there are many people out there in the same conundrum.

So I ask you, long-time players of the WoW, is there a path (racial or otherwise) in this game which involves as few spiders as possible (preferably none)? Or do I have to wait patiently and hope The Old Republic is a capable competitor to WoW?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

They are not gonna take out spiders just for the spiderphobes. Sorry dude. 

Silverbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Silverbrand

I have no answer, but I just had to respond because I know someone that is like that. I don't think he actually won't do it, but he will go well well out of his way in MMOs to avoid spider things. Thought it was unique.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By foggel

I am scared shitless of spiders in real life. Seriously. I get paralyzed only by their presence. But it didn't stop me from making the game ruin my social life.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ryax

fake spiders are not as scary as real spiders. just in case you didnt know

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

There's lots of places where you can level nowadays, so you can skip a zone and visit another leveling zone if need be.
    Don't play an Undead or Human, those have spiders in their starting areas as part of their quests.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pinworm45

I don't mean this in an insulting manner, so please don't take it as such, I'm just curious. I understand fear of Spiders, but what about them in the game scares you? I mean, realistically speaking, they can do no harm and it's not like they're realistic looking? 

But to be more helpful, I'm pretty positive the Human path has no spiders up to level 20 (Edit: The duder above me disagrees. I honestly can't recall spiders here though. But they probably know better, so maybe skip human). Or maybe there's one cave with them. Either way, just read the quest. It'll say if there's spiders. Skip quests with spiders. 

Avoid undead zones. 

I believe Dwarves and gnomes are safe too. 

I think Orcs and Trolls are safe too.. at least I don't recall spiders there. 

Never played Tauren.  

I believe the night elf starting zone has spiders. 

The best advice I can give is either just read the quests and they'll usually say if there's spiders. If there is, run away. Or just push through it - they aren't going to hurt you, but as I do not have a phobia, I guess I can't really understand.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By ReyGitano

You must overcome your fear of spiders with violence, as I did. 
    I now live with a mentality of it's either me or them when it comes to spiders, and have learned to accept that the only path through life, involves encountering spiders. 
    Virtual spiders is the first challenge you must face.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Psynapse

The best way to get over fears, is to confront them. Trust me when I say that the spiders in WoW will only hurt your character, and will not jump out of the screen to molest you. 

Confront them knowing that they aren't real, and it will help you with your Arachnophobia.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dragonzord

I'm scared of Elves. I think they should remove them

Anthropomorphic_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man: I would throw all my monies and respect as Blizzard if they included a 'No Spiders' toggle. And while I'm here in this hypothetical fantasy land, hills would be made of candy and there would be a mystical unicorn that would travel the world and shoot a beam of wonder that would cure people of their ills and irrational fears. However, we are in reality, where hills made of candy would spoil quickly, where Science(TM) is still busy trying to invent the unicorn and where No Spider toggles would significantly break one's MMO.  

In the meantime, I'm just curious about a level progression/racial path/etcetera that isn't as packed with spiders as, say, the Night Elf line.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

Maybe you can mod the game so the spider models are replaced with rabbits or something.

Also, game spiders don't jump at you, or teleport closer to you when you aren't looking, or crawl over your face while you're asleep.  So they really aren't as bad.

Anthropomorphic_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ryax: And that's why they're called irrational fears - they have a habit of ignoring logic or reason or reality.  For the record, this (http://www.27bslash6.com/images/spiderdrawing.gif) is fine by me, some of the giant tarantulas in WoW's human progression, aren't so cool.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ninjakiller

What is this?  I don't even....

Ghostbuster123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ghostbuster123

If you get to the Wrath of the Ling King content, you do not want to group for Azjol Nerub or  Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom. Blizzard seems to be proud of several spider models they made for this expansion. They do look cool and are, appropriately, the only things in these dungeons.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ryax
    @Anthropomorphic_Bear said:
    " @Ryax: And that's why they're called irrational fears - they have a habit of ignoring logic or reason or reality.  For the record, this (http://www.27bslash6.com/images/spiderdrawing.gif) is fine by me, some of the giant tarantulas in WoW's human progression, aren't so cool. "
    i just dont feel like it happens in video games. because i will kill some one and my self before i ever go onto or near the ocean again. but in games i have no problem with large bodies of water
    Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Phantom_Crash

Overcome your fear and burn or smack the spiders in WoW around.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EvilTwin

Even if you could devise a path to never encounter a spider throughout your experience in WoW (and I'm sure you could) you would inevitably run into hunters that have them as pets.  I haven't spent a great deal of time playing WoW since Burning Crusade, nor have I ever spent a great deal of time playing a hunter, so I can't speak to the popularity of the spider as a pet at the moment, but I'm sure plenty of them exist.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try to think of them as pixels.

Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Mattalorian

World of Warcraft isn't really a linear game - if you don't care for a quest, just drop it, and go elsewhere and pick up another one. There's tons of areas without spiders, so provided you're willing to do a lot of quest/area hopping, you should be fine.
    You know, I'm downright terrified of spiders in real life too, but after years of playing against all types of grotesque monsters in video gaming, my arachnophobia just isn't triggered by virtual spiders anymore. In my case, my mind eventually just started to render them as what they are: a meaningless blob of pixels, and not any type of threat. Point being, I think the more exposure you have to spiders in video gaming, the less it will concern you (the same could be said of real life, of course).

Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tarakun

Honestly, there are so many ways to level now that I think you could probably avoid spiders entirely if you really wanted to. Now, I haven't played in over a year, but my advice would be to explore other zones. If a zone has spiders in it, there is usually a different place you can go to level that will most likely not have them.  

I agree with avoiding undead, night elves, humans, etc because they have spiders in their starting zones, although keep in mind you can always leave those zones and level in a different starting zone (I leveled my druid in Durotar for example, I just like that zone better than Mulgore). Don't let the spiders keep you from playing a race that interests you.  

If you ever find yourself completely trapped with no zones to quest in, there are always instances you can run (although you might want to look up the dungeon on WoW Wiki before you queue up just to make sure there are no spiders). I believe you can also level up from Battlegrounds, although I found this to be much slower than questing (you will have fun though, I got my mage from 78-80 doing BG's and it was awesome.

Unfortunately, spiders are quite common enemies in WoW, so you may have to go out of your way to avoid them. However, I think World of Warcraft is worth the effort. Although I haven't played the game in a long time (mostly due to time constraints and money) I still recommend it to anyone who has the time and can afford the fee. It has quite a stigma attached, but I cannot think of a game that has brought me nearly as much entertainment. Definitely in my top 5.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Mattalorian said:
    "You know, I'm downright terrified of spiders in real life too, but after years of playing against all types of grotesque monsters in video gaming, my arachnophobia just isn't triggered by virtual spiders anymore."
    Not even in Deadly Creatures?  As someone who has very mild distaste for spiders (don't we all?) that quick look made my skin crawl at times.
    Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Goly

Same problem here man, but any insect for that matter. I couldn't play twilight princess because of that so imagine how great my fear is. It would be kinda cool if I could get advice on how to confront this. One of the tips I got was to play it from a distance or minimize the screen until they look small enough and when you feel comfortable with it make them look "a bit bigger" so to speak until you've finally conquered said fear. Haven't tried it yet but seems helpful. 

Avatar image for assassinsdude96
    AssassinsDude96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AssassinsDude96

Can't people who say "get over" your  spiderphobia just shut up? It isn't as easy as it sounds, just by telling people to get over it they won't overcome there fear. I have a hugh fear for spiders and I have stopped playing WoW completly but I think that a "No Spiders" toggle would be great! THink of how many more players could enjoy WoW and how mcuh profit Bliizard would make or they could just create a world without spiders so there won't be needed of a toggle button.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By darklight

I don't like spider or any crawling insect for that matter but not to the point of not being able to punch them in the face in a video game. So it's hard for me to understand the problem you are facing. 

But I really doubt that you could have an option of "no spider". If they do, they open the box for every phobia. "No water", "No high place", "no bat", etc. I'm not saying that it's stupid because I respect people who have those fear as much as anybody. But it's probably not manageable since there's a lot of phobia that should be taken into account.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BombKareshi
    @AssassinsDude96 said:
    Can't people who say "get over" your  spiderphobia just shut up? It isn't as easy as it sounds, just by telling people to get over it they won't overcome there fear. I have a hugh fear for spiders and I have stopped playing WoW completly but I think that a "No Spiders" toggle would be great! THink of how many more players could enjoy WoW and how mcuh profit Bliizard would make or they could just create a world without spiders so there won't be needed of a toggle button.
    You registered just to post that? I think we've found ourselves a sockpuppet!
    yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By yetiantics

@BombKareshi said:

@AssassinsDude96 said:
    Can't people who say "get over" your spiderphobia just shut up? It isn't as easy as it sounds, just by telling people to get over it they won't overcome there fear. I have a hugh fear for spiders and I have stopped playing WoW completly but I think that a "No Spiders" toggle would be great! THink of how many more players could enjoy WoW and how mcuh profit Bliizard would make or they could just create a world without spiders so there won't be needed of a toggle button.
    You registered just to post that? I think we've found ourselves a sockpuppet!

Would you have preferred he'd make a blog post first? lol

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#30  Edited By Forcen

cant you replace the models for mobs in wow? I know people have been doing that for mounts. But they have a ton of different spiders in wow, maybe not worth it.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Category:Spiders

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By project343

Problem is that spiders are a major mob type in WoW. Hell, you're not even safe in cities--hunters can walk around with them as pets. I'd also imagine that there are Star Wars spider variants in Old Republic.

Avatar image for assassinsdude96
    AssassinsDude96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AssassinsDude96

@Darklight: I understand that but Blizzard would get a lot of more players if they made toggles but i don't think they should make toggles for "No Water or high places" that kind of ruins every role-playing-game

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By oatz

I would suggest changing the model of the spider to something nicer, like a cow. Model changing is very easy and there's tons of guides on how to do it on the Internet.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By RIDEBIRD

It would probably be best to confront them in a game first, no? Therefore WoW could perhaps help you.

We had a warlock in Wrath that was afraid of spiders. He could manage, but only if he didn't look at them too often. On Maexxna in Naxx, we had to face him away from the boss so he didn't see it. Luckily, warlock, so he could stand sorta sideways and still DPS. Every goddamn time he was webbed there was an AAAAHHHH on mumble. We still brought him though, since it was fucking hilarious having an ultra scared warlock standing sideways, flinging shadowbolts in fear of a huge spider.

Keldrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Keldrath

One thing I haven't heard mentioned is if you are intending to play and avoid all spiders, for the love of god do not run heroic Deadmines.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By OmegaPirate

@Keldrath: as a fellow arachnaphobe i can confirm that this man speaks the truth, first time i ran that with guildies they knew what would happen, i did not.

They still maintain my freakout was one of the funniest things they'd heard in some time

I still maintain they are all cunts

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.