Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Any essential mods?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Just started a new subscription after having quit since Wrath of the Lich King and I feel pretty out of the loop so I was wondering if there's any WoW players here who could help recommend some UI mods?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I personally feel that a UI mod is essential because the game's default UI is incredibly lacking in functionality and customizability; I know that some people still somehow manage to use the default but they are in the vast minority. I've used ElvUI for the last few expansions (and plenty of others before that), but it's ultimately a preference thing; there are plenty of good ones out there. I'd also heavily recommend DeadlyBossMods (tells you mechanics for dungeons and raids as they happen, i.e. Boss is Casting - Stun Now!, Silence Adds!, etc. If you're going to use it for previous expansions also, I believe those DBM libraries are listed separately when you're downloading them from Curse, but it's been a while since I've looked), Auctioneer (adds auction house functionality including price scans, undercutting, tooltips on items for expected AH prices, etc.), and probably a basic DPS meter (Recount works fine). Once you get to the current expansion, you'll want both MasterPlan and GarrisonMissionManager for managing your garrison and its followers; it's a pretty big pain in the ass without them.

Any other mods would be specific to certain situations/setups/content/preferences, but those are the ones I'd feel comfortable telling any player that they should get.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By probablytuna

@ajamafalous: Ahh ok, so Curse is still the main for WoW mods huh? Totally forgot it exists. I'm not looking to do any raids, just want to play it casually and level a character up from scratch since I never experienced the Horde side before. I don't have any problems with the vanilla UI but it would be great to be able to move windows around. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check it out tonight!

Oh and do you know if I need to do things differently to install mods on the Mac version?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If you just want to play the game from 1-100 and have a good time, I wouldn't go crazy on mods. I'd maybe go with two mods: Bartender and Bagnon, because the default UI is lacking in the ability to customize it.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@probablytuna: There's a very useful collection of mods called Elvui. Its an interface rework that's very powerful and pretty easy to use with lots of options if you really want to get into the nitty gritty.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@ajamafalous: Ahh ok, so Curse is still the main for WoW mods huh? Totally forgot it exists. I'm not looking to do any raids, just want to play it casually and level a character up from scratch since I never experienced the Horde side before. I don't have any problems with the vanilla UI but it would be great to be able to move windows around. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check it out tonight!

Oh and do you know if I need to do things differently to install mods on the Mac version?

Curse is still the main site, though some mods (I think ElvUI, for example) have branched out and host on their own site.

No idea about the Mac version, sorry.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fishing buddy.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BallsLeon

Recalling knowledge from WoTLK.... Omen, Recount, Bartender/Bongos, DeadlyBossMods, Bagnon, and there was one for herbing/mining

xagefu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xagefu

You shouldn't have any issues installing mods on a mac client, when I transfer my settings from my main pc to macbook, i simply copy the interface folder(containing the addons) to my wow install on osx and it all works as it should.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone for their suggestions! I've basically downloaded Bagnon, Gatherer, Bartender and Auctioneer for now and they seem to work pretty seamlessly on the Mac so that was great.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JasonMasters

@probablytuna While I am kinda nuts when it comes to WoW addons, the major ones I would suggest is Adibags (formerly Baggins) which is an auto-sorting inventory addon, Deadly boss mods (makes boss fights way easier), Scrap (auto junk selling addon) and Postal (mail addon), and Recount (damage tracking).

I use ElvUI for an overall UI changing addon and Prat (chat addon)...and like a zillion others that are escaping me at this point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.