Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Blizzard adding ability to buy and sell game time with gold

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/18141101/introducing-the-wow-token-3-2-2015

Do you think it is a good system? It was in wildstar and worked okay there. Except for an exploit that gave people years of free time.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Isn't this basically what EVE does? Interesting to see Blizzard doing this. They did dabble with "legalized" gold selling a number of years ago, by making a $10 vanity pet tradeable in-game. It seemed like they had given up on the idea after that experiment, but it's interesting to see them come back to it now.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's mostly there to give players a safe and secure away to buy and sell gold, something that many were already doing. It will clear chat of shady gold seller spam and likely unclog customer service, which has been plagued by people trying to recover their hacked and frozen accounts. I'm happy just because I'm sitting on around 2 million gold, I may never have to pay my subscription again.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I'm not sure why anyone would buy the token to put up on the auction house in the first place.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

Give people a legit way to buy gold? Why not? And the system is really smart, makes sure that this feature has the flexibility to shift with the economy.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only thing i don't understand is- what the hell are people gonna do with all that gold??? is it just a status symbol?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

the only thing i don't understand is- what the hell are people gonna do with all that gold??? is it just a status symbol?

Don't worry, Blizzard will make sure there are plenty of big gold sinks in the game to incentivize people to buy tokens and then sell them for gold.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a great way to do this. I'm curious to see how much the tokens will cost and then sell for in game.

Krevee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Krevee

Yep, I think it is a good idea. Hopefully it will cut down on the goldsellers spamming everywhere and stealing accounts. Though I do have a feeling they will undercut the market cost for these tokens and still be around, but I think this will hurt their business.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So if I don't have any time, but I want to use gold to buy a token, I'm guessing I'm screwed unless I pay for the 2 months or w/e?

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itwastuesday: From a mount/pet collector standpoint: if you don't got em all, you got something to buy :D

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is something they could have done a really long time ago and it would have worked out alright, now gold is super inflated so I can't imagine it'll go much better than D3 did.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Some people also use gold to buy carries through raids/challenge modes/pvp for titles, reward mounts, chances at loot. Once high end guilds have cleared the top raid difficulty and have gotten what they want out of it, many will then sell carries until the next content patch comes out. Other than that, or buying a rare minipet off the auctionhouse instead of farming it, gold really isn't all that useful in WoW after a certain point.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@shaka999 said:

So if I don't have any time, but I want to use gold to buy a token, I'm guessing I'm screwed unless I pay for the 2 months or w/e?

According to the Polygon article, Blizzard plans on implementing a way for people with lapsed accounts but enough gold to buy a token to be able to do so without having to resubscribe again first.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

@itwastuesday said:

Haven't played for six months but I think Bliz has done away with most of the gear/item tokens and replaced the costs with gold. Gold has more worth now. The Black Market Auction House is another great money sink since it offers random items, old unobtainable legacy items, and current tier raid items at very steep prices. And then there are the super duper rare collector items that cost absurd amounts of gold. Dats million bucks.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By HH

i log into wow once every couple of years, and spend a month or so bringing my characters up to speed, i never bother with gearing up or end game, so it's good to know i can save my gold for the ability to play without paying.

but the question I have is, if i'm sitting on a bunch of these, and haven't played in a while, do i need to re-sub once to be able to log in and use them? because considering i never play for longer than a month, that would really undermine their usefulness.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh: My understanding is that they're going to open all lapsed accounts, but under the same restrictions of trial accounts. This means you should be able to log in and use the tokens even if your sub has expired. One potential implication is that if the tokens are inventory items (which sounds like the case), you won't be able to access them if they're on a character over level 20 (the level limit of trial accounts).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.