Canadian ISP admits to throttling WoW players

#1 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

So the actual story behind this is that Rogers, the Canadian ISP, is accidentally throttling WoW players because they automatically throttle P2P traffic.  They're only supposed to be throttling file-sharing programs. 

Considering all the hubbub over the bandwidth limits in Canada, it seems like things just continue to get ridiculous with how things are going with their intrewebs.  

Reading through some of the comments, there are other customers who have had problems with programs that get recognized as P2P, such as Remote Desktop, or VOIP providers like Ventrilo or Teamspeak.

See here's the thing though.  It's not an accident.  Patching in WoW is P2P these days (unless you specify otherwise).  Not to mention there's background patching now too, so you don't just patch on patch day.  So no wonder they'd throttle it. 

Link here.

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

The Warcraft installer IS a P2P client, I think. It's like a torrent, they pull the data from people who already have the game installed, and send it to the people who are actively installing the game, so they don't have to have millions of people downloading 22gb game clients every day. At least, I think that's how it works. Anyway, I don't think they should be throttling regardless, but they're just doing what they said they were going to do.

#3 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

Internet here in Canada SUCKS! I moved for Europe to Canada 2 years ago and it's really embarassing. I was looking into those Roku boxes  but many of the services that seem interesting (like MoG) don't work in Canada. The "fixed" bandwith issue is what gets me most though.

They really should get some competition going here regarding TV, internet and mobile because it's just pathetic.

#4 Posted by mosespippy (4033 posts) -

I don't think anyone is surprised that a Canadian ISP was fucking over it's customers. I don't think anyone is surprised they didn't even know they were doing it. The Canadian Internet industry is a piece of shit and nothing they do should surprise anyone.

#5 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Even 3rd world countries have better internet than Canada, sadly this doesn't surprise me. 

#6 Posted by Tally_Pants (591 posts) -
@jozzy said:
" Internet here in Canada SUCKS! I moved for Europe to Canada 2 years ago and it's really embarassing. I was looking into those Roku boxes  but many of the services that seem interesting (like MoG) don't work in Canada. The "fixed" bandwith issue is what gets me most though.  They really should get some competition going here regarding TV, internet and mobile because it's just pathetic. "
yeah its true, we don't have hardly any competition. rates for internet/tv/modbile are so much lower in the states! (i don't really know about europe) but i mean, its disgusting how much we have to pay, and for crappier services...
#7 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

wow that sucks. they should give some people their money back or discount for a while for wow players. pretty stupid that they would do that.

#8 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

There are some WoW players I'd like to throttle.

#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

Sigh... I hate my country some times.

#10 Posted by gakon (1945 posts) -

Blizzard's P2P downloaders use the full range of BitTorrent ports, the same ones ISPs want to filter due to their use by filesharing programs. I wonder if simply moving out of that port range (assuming it's technically feasible for them, I ain't no technomans) would solve the majority of the issues.

#11 Posted by Rannos22 (24 posts) -

I guess that's the price you pay for having a functioning healthcare system...

#12 Posted by Theresonlyone (190 posts) -

How can you throttle WoW? Just playing+vent i used less than 50mb for an hours play its not exactly taxing is it.

#13 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Are bandwidth limits in effect here in Canada yet? I haven't noticed if they are.

#14 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@keyhunter said:
" Are bandwidth limits in effect here in Canada yet? I haven't noticed if they are. "
I don't think so, that issue seemed to have disappear off the radar.
#15 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Oh, Canada.

#16 Edited by melcene (3056 posts) -
@Theresonlyone said:

" How can you throttle WoW? Just playing+vent i used less than 50mb for an hours play its not exactly taxing is it. "

Read the whole post (or hell, even just part of it) and not just the thread title.  They're throttling peer-to-peer communications to try to cut back on illegal filesharing, but WoW falls into the P2P category.
#17 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@keyhunter said: 

" Are bandwidth limits in effect here in Canada yet? I haven't noticed if they are. "

There have been for a while, with Bell offering only 75 gb with it's 60$ plan. I don't know what that verdict a while ago will do about this, but fortunately it doesn't seem as though they can kick you off your current plan. Just make sure you cling to it till this is over. 

On topic I think I'm getting throttled on Bell, but it always seems to come right after heavy usage which is weird. It could very well be my imagination.    
#18 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Comcast has a limit of 250gigs a month.  They finally added a counter to their site.  My history:

Dec 158gigs, Jan 116gigs, Feb 69gigs, March 195gigs.

I've been watching MLB spring training on their streaming service every day and usually multiple games.  Most spring training games are in SD so when the season starts Thursday, I wonder what those HD streams are going to be like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.