Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Chef Sombre leaves (Or how I learned to love the Mind blast Bomb)

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By Fallen189

When I first started playing WoW on the beta, I didn't like it.

The concepts were too far from the MMO's I played beforehand, the combat was different, it was fully 3-D, and I was forced to play with others to make ends meet. After getting to level 30 on a Tauren Shaman, I stopped playing because it was stupid.

After a while I played a human rogue, 5 months after, and really liked it. From there I got to Molten Core>Blackwing lair>AQ>Naxx 40.

Then I quit again.

Then I came back again to play with a pal, and I made an undead priest. I loved the playstyle and couldn't get enough of it. When I was done with healing, I could go shadow and do hefty damage. This went on to Karazhan>SSC>TK>MH and finally onto BT where we conquered Illidan. I played through with my friend will Wrath came out, and had a blast. It was like playing a new character again. Having fun with some friends and just blasting through content.

Inevitably, I got to level 80, and started doing "Endgame" again. But imagine by dissapointment to find I was doing Naxxramas again. Not only was the fact that I had to do it all over again, after many runs for original tier 3, but the audacity of some people. Because I hadn't done it before on THAT CHARACTER, or didn't have the most optimised gear, I was refused access by people who were clearly first timing it.

After sometime, I got bored of doing the level 80 raids, and took a short break. After the Ulduar patch, I thought I'd give one last hoorah and see how things were. How confused and upset I was.

I figured to get myself back into it, I'd look for an Ulduar group. It was new, fresh, my gear was top notch and I was eager to go.

"Hi there friend. I have just come back and I would love to join your Ulduar run. My gear is good and I'm willing to heal"

"LINK EPIC ACHIEV"

"Excuse me?"

"You need to show epic achievement or u cant come"

"Why not?"

"FFS, fucking noob, l2p, get epic gear"

And then he ignored me. The next 2 weeks were a continous slur of this. It didn't take long for me to realise that the game I once held in high regard for the need to be skilled, aware, and able to co-ordinate in a group has been simplified to nothing more than "You need a piece of text that says all your items are X degrees of skill".

Frankly, I was shocked. I spoke to some old friends who were still pottering around, and they told me it wasn't just me. Everyone has turned into this seemingly inept "ACHIEVEMENTS MEAN SKILL" frame of mind. This happened everywhere. I couldn't do a HEROIC NEXUS run because people demanded I had the "Epic" achievement on full. Bear in mind that when I played actively, Naxx 25 was the only place to drop the correct iLevel items, and I frankly didn't have the patience or willing to Naxxrammas another 500 times when I'd done it in 40 man in the original World of Warcraft.

So I cancelled my account earlier, shouted in trade that "The first person to answer the riddle of steel will be given anything I own thats worth money", got an answer which was spot on, gave them about 17,000 golds worth of items and money, and logged off in the gear I loved the most.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

No Caption Provided
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Fallen189

When I first started playing WoW on the beta, I didn't like it.

The concepts were too far from the MMO's I played beforehand, the combat was different, it was fully 3-D, and I was forced to play with others to make ends meet. After getting to level 30 on a Tauren Shaman, I stopped playing because it was stupid.

After a while I played a human rogue, 5 months after, and really liked it. From there I got to Molten Core>Blackwing lair>AQ>Naxx 40.

Then I quit again.

Then I came back again to play with a pal, and I made an undead priest. I loved the playstyle and couldn't get enough of it. When I was done with healing, I could go shadow and do hefty damage. This went on to Karazhan>SSC>TK>MH and finally onto BT where we conquered Illidan. I played through with my friend will Wrath came out, and had a blast. It was like playing a new character again. Having fun with some friends and just blasting through content.

Inevitably, I got to level 80, and started doing "Endgame" again. But imagine by dissapointment to find I was doing Naxxramas again. Not only was the fact that I had to do it all over again, after many runs for original tier 3, but the audacity of some people. Because I hadn't done it before on THAT CHARACTER, or didn't have the most optimised gear, I was refused access by people who were clearly first timing it.

After sometime, I got bored of doing the level 80 raids, and took a short break. After the Ulduar patch, I thought I'd give one last hoorah and see how things were. How confused and upset I was.

I figured to get myself back into it, I'd look for an Ulduar group. It was new, fresh, my gear was top notch and I was eager to go.

"Hi there friend. I have just come back and I would love to join your Ulduar run. My gear is good and I'm willing to heal"

"LINK EPIC ACHIEV"

"Excuse me?"

"You need to show epic achievement or u cant come"

"Why not?"

"FFS, fucking noob, l2p, get epic gear"

And then he ignored me. The next 2 weeks were a continous slur of this. It didn't take long for me to realise that the game I once held in high regard for the need to be skilled, aware, and able to co-ordinate in a group has been simplified to nothing more than "You need a piece of text that says all your items are X degrees of skill".

Frankly, I was shocked. I spoke to some old friends who were still pottering around, and they told me it wasn't just me. Everyone has turned into this seemingly inept "ACHIEVEMENTS MEAN SKILL" frame of mind. This happened everywhere. I couldn't do a HEROIC NEXUS run because people demanded I had the "Epic" achievement on full. Bear in mind that when I played actively, Naxx 25 was the only place to drop the correct iLevel items, and I frankly didn't have the patience or willing to Naxxrammas another 500 times when I'd done it in 40 man in the original World of Warcraft.

So I cancelled my account earlier, shouted in trade that "The first person to answer the riddle of steel will be given anything I own thats worth money", got an answer which was spot on, gave them about 17,000 golds worth of items and money, and logged off in the gear I loved the most.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

No Caption Provided
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

Good for you.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Symphony

Your server sounds retarded. 

Then again I was always too much of an elitist to consider pugging raids. =X After the times I took extended breaks, I came back, looked up the good guilds, put in my (very, very wordy and lengthy) application, and the ones in charge of recruitment were usually intelligent enough to realize "Okay, this chick might not have great gear, but she knows her shit and has lots of experience, we'll give her a shot". 

Ahh well, I'm glad I left and don't regret it, though I sometimes think of returning... I'll probably go back to see Cataclysm, but that's a ways off. Hehe kinda sad I can identify the gear your priest has on, go go Benediction and Merciless Gladiator shoulders (I loved the look of that set)!

Hopefully if you ever go back again your experience will be better! ^^

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fallen189
    @Symphony said:
    " Your server sounds retarded.   Then again I was always too much of an elitist to consider pugging raids. =X After the times I took extended breaks, I came back, looked up the good guilds, put in my (very, very wordy and lengthy) application, and the ones in charge of recruitment were usually intelligent enough to realize "Okay, this chick might not have great gear, but she knows her shit and has lots of experience, we'll give her a shot".   Ahh well, I'm glad I left and don't regret it, though I sometimes think of returning... I'll probably go back to see Cataclysm, but that's a ways off. Hehe kinda sad I can identify the gear your priest has on, go go Benediction and Merciless Gladiator shoulders (I loved the look of that set)!  Hopefully if you ever go back again your experience will be better! ^^ "
    It was actually all servers if I'm lead to believe. Since the introduction of the achievement system, most people were basing and confusing achievement =/= skill. Coming from someone who had server firsts in BWL and AQ40, it was frustrating for some dutch twat to tell me "OH U KNEAD ACHIEF"

I think it was just like....I don't know. It wasn't MY Warcraft anymore. Things just changed too much I guess. The concepts I loved about it were all just absent. Couple that with the fact that, I'm just kinda grown up now. I'm not 14 anymore ya know? I don't have the time or patience to sit down 4 nights a week to raid from 8pm till 1am with a 10 minute break for progress. I might not be much of an adult, but I have responsibilites, however lax they are, in real life now, and I just don't have the time anymore.
    Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Khemitude

I've only started to play WoW recently but i know my shit and lore (whats left of it that is) I'm still leveling at the moment but i love some of the endgame stuff and can't wait to get there.

But that's the thing once i do hit 80 It's going to be really hard to get into any of it as i haven't got experiance raiding and not properly equipped which of course i can't get one without the other. I just hope I'm able to find a nice friendly guild that doesn't mind any of that so I can get into and get the experiance and gear.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fallen189
    @Khemitude said:
    " I've only started to play WoW recently but i know my shit and lore (whats left of it that is) I'm still leveling at the moment but i love some of the endgame stuff and can't wait to get there.  But that's the thing once i do hit 80 It's going to be really hard to get into any of it as i haven't got experiance raiding and not properly equipped which of course i can't get one without the other. I just hope I'm able to find a nice friendly guild that doesn't mind any of that so I can get into and get the experiance and gear. "
    It's a hassle, but being made easier all the time, which is really good for new players. You might take a while to get all your shit together, but if you haven't beat X thing before, it really can be a bit of a pain. Peoples expectations are incredibly high, which in comparison to the ease of obtaining gear, is quite shocking.
    Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Khemitude

Weird litterally minutes after posting this i was invited to a really friendly guild where they dont care about that and they'll take the time to gear you up and teach you about it.  

Im just sick of trying to pug various instance's and people want me to be the healer when i'm a prot pally. Just because I have a spell that can heal doesn't mean I'm a healer.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

17K?!?!?!  HOLY FUCK, MAN!!!

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Tiwi

Thank you for convincing me not to get into wow again. (really, thank you)

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eisen
    Its not just his server.  That's most server in general in WoW anymore.   It's link achievements or no invites, which means unless you have a close friends list you aren't doing any dungeons period.  One of the many reasons I quit a few months ago, especially with how uld. pushed for guilds to do achievements for better drops.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fallen189
    @tiwi said:
    " Thank you for convincing me not to get into wow again. (really, thank you) "
    It's fun for a short time. Then when you're forced to do the "Endgame" stuff, it becomes horrible and incredibly situational in terms of luck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.