Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Dealing with Addiction

DrewInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By DrewInJapan

Almost a year ago I started playing WoW. It seemed harmless enough at first, and was a decent way to fill time during the lean months while my gf was job hunting and all the bills were on me. We were on a pretty tight budget, and $15 a month for the amount of entertainment I was getting out of it seemed like a bargain.

And then it became a compulsion.

A lot of games can keep you playing with "just one more level, then I'll turn it off," which is great for a game that has a definite end. You will beat the game at some point, and then it's done.

But MMOs don't work like that, do they?

Sure, you can get one more level - all the way up until you've maxed out your character - but you haven't beaten anything. There are tons of things to do once you reach the max level. Daily quests, crafting professions, achievements, dungeons....it never ends! (Not a good idea for somebody with OCD tendencies to get into something like this.)

Only I did. And in a bad way.

I was playing most every free moment I could. 20 minutes before I have to get ready for work? No prob! I can do a quest in that time! GF's taking a nap? I can run a whole dungeon! I'd spend whole Saturdays (and sometimes Sundays, too) in front of my PC, questing away the weekend.

And it was fun!

It is, there's no denying that. Leveling up, getting new skills, exploring new areas. And when you want a break from one character, just make a new one and try the game from a whole different perspective. Hell, change factions and see how the other half lives. I did all of that.

And it still wasn't enough.

Then I learned about dual-boxing, which is where you have two accounts and are able to team up with yourself and run two characters at the same time. OCD-gasm! And if you refer yourself to join up a second account, you get all kinds of sweet bonuses for 3 months.

And I played a truckload of WoW in those 3 months.

Then something happened. Maybe i was approaching burnout. Maybe I'd had enough. Maybe I just needed a break. So I took one. From the day my bonuses ran out, I didn't play for a whole week. I read books, played 360 games, started blogging again, took photos, watched movies, cooked dinners...

You know, the things "normal" people do with their time.

And it was all really nice. Once the week was up, I started playing again, but the compulsion was completely gone. I think I only played about an hour on Sunday this past weekend. I used to play a couple hours most every night after dinner, but not this week. I'm enjoying a broader collection of things now.

Do I still like WoW?

Hell yeah! It's great fun and I'm not going to cancel either of my accounts. I may not get the bonuses anymore, but dual-boxing is still a great way to experience the game. It's only costing me $30 a month, and that's less than a night out at the pub. I'll jump in and play when the mood strikes, and when I'm in the mood for other things, I'll do those instead.

Now, back to Banjo! ^.^

DrewInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DrewInJapan

Almost a year ago I started playing WoW. It seemed harmless enough at first, and was a decent way to fill time during the lean months while my gf was job hunting and all the bills were on me. We were on a pretty tight budget, and $15 a month for the amount of entertainment I was getting out of it seemed like a bargain.

And then it became a compulsion.

A lot of games can keep you playing with "just one more level, then I'll turn it off," which is great for a game that has a definite end. You will beat the game at some point, and then it's done.

But MMOs don't work like that, do they?

Sure, you can get one more level - all the way up until you've maxed out your character - but you haven't beaten anything. There are tons of things to do once you reach the max level. Daily quests, crafting professions, achievements, dungeons....it never ends! (Not a good idea for somebody with OCD tendencies to get into something like this.)

Only I did. And in a bad way.

I was playing most every free moment I could. 20 minutes before I have to get ready for work? No prob! I can do a quest in that time! GF's taking a nap? I can run a whole dungeon! I'd spend whole Saturdays (and sometimes Sundays, too) in front of my PC, questing away the weekend.

And it was fun!

It is, there's no denying that. Leveling up, getting new skills, exploring new areas. And when you want a break from one character, just make a new one and try the game from a whole different perspective. Hell, change factions and see how the other half lives. I did all of that.

And it still wasn't enough.

Then I learned about dual-boxing, which is where you have two accounts and are able to team up with yourself and run two characters at the same time. OCD-gasm! And if you refer yourself to join up a second account, you get all kinds of sweet bonuses for 3 months.

And I played a truckload of WoW in those 3 months.

Then something happened. Maybe i was approaching burnout. Maybe I'd had enough. Maybe I just needed a break. So I took one. From the day my bonuses ran out, I didn't play for a whole week. I read books, played 360 games, started blogging again, took photos, watched movies, cooked dinners...

You know, the things "normal" people do with their time.

And it was all really nice. Once the week was up, I started playing again, but the compulsion was completely gone. I think I only played about an hour on Sunday this past weekend. I used to play a couple hours most every night after dinner, but not this week. I'm enjoying a broader collection of things now.

Do I still like WoW?

Hell yeah! It's great fun and I'm not going to cancel either of my accounts. I may not get the bonuses anymore, but dual-boxing is still a great way to experience the game. It's only costing me $30 a month, and that's less than a night out at the pub. I'll jump in and play when the mood strikes, and when I'm in the mood for other things, I'll do those instead.

Now, back to Banjo! ^.^

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

You'll be back hardcore. Everyone comes back :P

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Jambones

I've never played WoW, but I've played similar games and the feeling of being able to say "Not right now" is such an immense relief. I sincerely hope you can keep up the carefree attitude and still enjoy the game in more modest portions .

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EvilTwin

Good on ya. 

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Eurobum
    @DrewInJapan:

Dualboxing (virtualised on the same machine or from two different computers) ruined the MMOG meta-game. "Competitive" play has become completely dependent on running several accounts.  If this helped you to wind down your devotion to WoW by dilluting the fine tuned psychological reward system of these games, then more power to you.

When people say they are addicted to a game, what they mean is that they very much enjoy to the sense of achievement these games offer - the steady stream of rewards and equally important: the sense of purpose these games provide. It is very similar to a religion or cult in that they give their own purpose to a players life and players are nothing less then mind controlled, when they are "into" WoW.
    DrewInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrewInJapan

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

I got into multiboxing after seeing a few people in-game doing it and wanted to check it out. It's a lot of fun and puts a new spin on the game. For me, though, it can't completely replace soloing a character. I spent a good bit of time this weekend on one toon (my druid) and had a blast running him by himself. No need to worry about losing follow or watching both screens - just questing away and cranking out the levels. He's closing in on 80 and will be my first to get there. I'm looking forward to being able to do end-game stuff with my guildmates.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.