Do you group quest with strangers?

#1 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

We've all gotten that tell along the lines of "Can you help me with this quest?" or alternatively, "help quest".  I had this experience just today, when some guy asked me to camp another player with him, on a PvE server.  After getting us both killed, my new friend wanted to help me quest.  But I told him I was actually done and needed to log off. 

I don't know why I'm so anti-social in those kinds of scenarios, but I really can't stand doing normal quests with random groups of strangers.  It can be hassle enough doing it with people I do know, like when you have a drop quest.  Now your quest is taking twice as long to finish, or more because you don't get to loot every corpse.  Even worse is when they get into small-talk with me.

I don't mind it in dungeons, because I consented to be in that group.  I didn't consent to collecting gorilla pelts with you, nor do I care if you're thinking about speccing Arms. 

So how do you feel about grinding with strangers?

#2 Posted by Soapy86 (2638 posts) -

I love grinding with strangers.

#3 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -
@Soapy86 said:
" I love grinding with strangers. "
I've heard that about you. 

Also, in my defense, I didn't log off just to get away from someone.  But I probably got off about 10 minutes sooner ;)
#4 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

I remember questing daily with a complete stranger because our classes complimented each other very well, a warlock (me) and a hunter. I'll admit that I looked forward to it everyday then even though I had a girlfriend at the time. Weird, I know. Eventually, I got a few friends to pick the game up and head over to my PvE server. Our "relationship" lasted over a month until my friends jumped ship, all without my knowledge, to a PvP server. I got a little angry since I had leveled my character completing quests I know I wouldn't have without this mysterious stranger. I know I couldn't do anything with my friends because they were complete noobs (one of my friends insisted he use the mouse to select spells rather than use hotkeys).

To keep things short since I'm on the mobile site, I sold everything on my character on that server and sent all the money to him, then deleted my character in favor of playing with my friends. I regret doing that since they all quit eventually.

#5 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I've met some good people in WoW, one of my friends met a guy that actually bought him the expansions when my friend couldn't afford them, and bought him 2 gamecards.

#6 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I always pretend to be afk when some random guy wants help with a quest. I guess that makes me a bit of a dick, and I've had a few people get pissed at me for not responding, but I'm usually way too busy with my own stuff or talking to my friends. If I'm questing by myself and some other guy comes around and wants to do it together, then sure, no reason not to. I'll also try and get a group going whenever there's a good quest reward, but otherwise I like grinding stuff by myself. I've made a couple friends from instances and raids, but never from questing. 

#7 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -
@Hourai said:
" I always pretend to be afk when some random guy wants help with a quest. I guess that makes me a bit of a dick, and I've had a few people get pissed at me for not responding, but I'm usually way too busy with my own stuff or talking to my friends. If I'm questing by myself and some other guy comes around and wants to do it together, then sure, no reason not to. I'll also try and get a group going whenever there's a good quest reward, but otherwise I like grinding stuff by myself. I've made a couple friends from instances and raids, but never from questing.  "
As a healer, pre-LDF tool I had built up a good list of tanks I could randomly message on demand if I needed to fill a dungeon group.  I kinda miss that about dungeon groups.  The LDF tool is incredibly useful, to be sure, but it's taken.. I dunno, some of the soul out of it.  We're all just grinding out these dungeons we hate to get badges for gear.  There's no time to chit-chat anymore, which then makes things way more tense when somebody messes up, because nobody's become acquainted. 

....But when I solo quest, that's me time.
#8 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Dudes come up to me being all like "Dude. Heals?" and I'm all like "Well maybe you should have thought of that BEFORE you decided to play Rouge." 

In all seriousness though, I do group quest on occasion, but only under certain conditions. I won't, say, do a solo quest with people I don't already know unless I've just got done doing a group quest or raid with that person because I know they are totally cool and legit. The problem with this method is that I never do group quests with people I don't know unless I'm in "teh dire straights" so this is a very rare occurrence.

#9 Posted by JoMu (117 posts) -

Recently I was out questing and another player wanted to group up to help me finish a solo quest that I was just starting so we could help each other with the group quest that followed in the chain. Since it was an actual sentence instead of just  "HLP (Quest Name) PLZ???" I felt OK about it. I think that was probably the first time I was part of a group where I didn't know someone before.

I guess I didn't really know anyone on the GB guild too well before joining either. (even though I play at really late/early hours and hardly see anyone).

#10 Posted by MrMuscle (448 posts) -

I definately did back in Vanilla, leveling as a board and sword warrior i didnt have much choice. But now, after the latest patch, it doesnt seem like there really is any need for groups when questing. Ive gotten a shaman to lvl 43 allready without a single death or quest i couldnt finish on my own.
#11 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -
@MrMuscle said:
" I definately did back in Vanilla, leveling as a board and sword warrior i didnt have much choice. But now, after the latest patch, it doesnt seem like there really is any need for groups when questing. Ive gotten a shaman to lvl 43 allready without a single death or quest i couldnt finish on my own. "
I'm leveling a Protection Warrior right now, and it's fantastic.  Maybe I'm doing a little less damage, but I still kill things very fast, and I can AoE pull and solo elite enemies with ease, which are the big advantages of tank leveling.
#12 Posted by Rockdalf (1293 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" Dudes come up to me being all like "Dude. Heals?" and I'm all like "Well maybe you should have thought of that BEFORE you decided to play Rouge."  
My life continues happier assuming you made that spelling error on purpose in jest and not accident.  As a DM of a long standing D&D campaign, one of the first rules I ever set in stone was if you can't spell Rogue, you can't play it. 

I still cringe when I see it spelled that way.
#13 Posted by MrMuscle (448 posts) -
@gakon5 said:
" @MrMuscle said:
" I definately did back in Vanilla, leveling as a board and sword warrior i didnt have much choice. But now, after the latest patch, it doesnt seem like there really is any need for groups when questing. Ive gotten a shaman to lvl 43 allready without a single death or quest i couldnt finish on my own. "
I'm leveling a Protection Warrior right now, and it's fantastic.  Maybe I'm doing a little less damage, but I still kill things very fast, and I can AoE pull and solo elite enemies with ease, which are the big advantages of tank leveling. "

Oh no doubt, leveling protection now is pretty awesome. But back in vanilla it pretty much wasnt hehe. But there was a need for a tank among my friends and i love to play that role.
#14 Posted by MachoFantastico (4863 posts) -

Anything anyone says in this thread will become a innuendo for something sex related. Just saying!

#15 Posted by MachoFantastico (4863 posts) -

On a serious note, when I play I don't get on with grouping with strangers or friends at that matter. It's not that I'm a bad or nasty player, I just have my own pace which suits me. I did some questing and raiding with a friend some months back and everything he did was so rushed, I disliked it greatly. That's why I play mostly solo now, enjoy my Warlock as that's a solid solo class to be. I find most WoW players to be rather ignorant and rude from my experience, they expect you to know everything and make the experience abysmal. 

#16 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Yes.

#17 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I've met some good people in WoW, one of my friends met a guy that actually bought him the expansions when my friend couldn't afford them, and bought him 2 gamecards. "
Really? Thats awesome.
#18 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

I can't say I'm into grinding with someone.  But if I come across a quest that I know is a pain in the ass, whether because of the waiting, or the toughness of the kill or whatever, I'll often ask the other person there if they want to group for it, or if they're Horde I'll just help them without chatting with them sometimes. 

But grinding, no.  I'm too impatient.  I'm impatient with my own husband sometimes. 

I don't mind pugging either.  I've met some great people while pugging.

#19 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

I don't like to do quests with strangers.  Only time I do stuff with strangers is raid or dungeons.

#20 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -

I've been burned too many times doing this that I pretty much just ignore people asking to group for quests. It's sad really, would love to quest with random people in a massively multiplayer game but there are just so many complete an utter morons in the game.

#21 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Nope, either with a friend or alone. 
Explaining is in order I guess but around the time where I get to do the Group Quests alone my level is so high that the rewards are not even worth it and I just breeze through them

#22 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Never needed to in WotlK and most players were idiots anyway. I lost my faith in humanity when I had to play with a level 77 arms warrior who was in berserker stance doing only heroic strike or the priest who thought he could mind control the Assembly of Iron. 

If Cataclysm scares away the morons and makes group questing needed again, sure, I'll do it. Still prefer questing on my own when I can though, because most of the time those strangers on the internet turn out to be either asshats or morons or both. I've had only a few random encounters that ended up in being bros, and most of it happened within the guild anyway. On the other hand, I've had to kick more people from the guild who I REJECTED INITIALLY but the rest of the officers thought seemed like great picks until they started being fucking assholes and crybabies.  

There just aren't enough good people on EU servers. There are obviously a few of them who are also active (~50 on horde side of the full realm I play on) but they're hopefully raiding with their main anyway and not doing group quests with their alts. 

Man, I wish I could get in one of the top guilds. Seems like such maximum bro-out with minimum drama. Even my IRL mates cause drama in our 10-man guild consisting only of us, which might sound like bullshit but when you're a group of 15 or more people, not everyone can like each other. 

Bottom line: Fuck grouping up with randoms.

#23 Posted by sgjackson (529 posts) -

If someone's waiting for a quest mob I need or we're doing kill quests in the same area I'll usually ask to group up so it goes faster, then once I finish go on my merry way. I'll also watch general chat to see if anyone's doing group quests I might have picked up. Other than that, not really.

#24 Posted by Gamer_152 (14100 posts) -

I'll raid dungeons with strangers but I rarely group quest with them.

#25 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Usually if they ask for help, sure I'll bite. Then there are other situations where I need help killing a boss mob or whatever I usually ask someone in general chat like "Anyone on _______?" or "I need some help doing this ____ can anyone help?"

#26 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

I usually do it with guild mates. 

Sometimes it's still strangers but at least we have some reason to talk to each other.

#27 Posted by griefersstolemykeyboard (359 posts) -

You can solo every group quest nowadays, so not really. But I don't mind if I have to as they are so easy anyway.

#28 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -

i really cant get past grinding with strangers 

#29 Edited by StealthRaptor (530 posts) -

I used to run a guild where my main recruitment strategy was to get members to help newbies and group with strangers. I met a lot of great and extremely friendly people that way. That was a long time ago now.

#30 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I've met some good people in WoW, one of my friends met a guy that actually bought him the expansions when my friend couldn't afford them, and bought him 2 gamecards. "
i feel as though i should play on your realm so i can meet this charitable figure
#31 Posted by Hector (3375 posts) -
@Soapy86 said:
" I love grinding with strangers. "
Same here you get to meet new people!
#32 Posted by stinky (1551 posts) -

meet some friends that way. how lots of people get invited to guilds. 
that was my experience in vanilla wow. 

always thought back in vanilla days things were simpler, could be because everyone was a noob though. 

#33 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

When questing? Usually not, unless its a elite quest and my friends aren't able to help out or when I need a spawn and mr hot shot mage comes barging in with all intent to steal kills first, group later.

#34 Posted by LLJK_Jasta (292 posts) -

I have been playing games online since the 90s and over that time some of my best experiences have been with random people on WoW.  ^_^

#35 Posted by plop1920 (452 posts) -

If I see someone else going for the same mob ill throw them an invite, but I usually quest solo

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.