Duel Etiquette?

#1 Posted by theherbivorousbig (59 posts) -

Just started playing WoW earlier this afternoon. I've been challenged to a couple of duels, but declined because I a) was running around doing other stuff and b) didn't really know what to do.

Any advice on how to conduct oneself during a duel? Do you just beat the shit out of each other? Anything frowned upon/considered bad form?

Just looking to not come off looking like a douchey noob...although the person I end up dueling may very well be a bigger noob/douche than I am. What can I say? I'm a classy guy.

#2 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Anything goes on the "Wild West" that is the internet.

#3 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

usually random people who want to duel with you are guys with much better gear than you to grow their internet penis

#4 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Toxic said:
" usually random people who want to duel with you are guys with much better gear than you to grow their internet penis "
Yep, this.  

Also, Notorious BIG is the best. 
#5 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

Some people like to be persistent with duel requests; just ignore them.  Really, anything goes in a fight, although I think most people expect you to not use a potion mid-battle.  It's also nice to say "good duel" or "gd" at the end, whether you win or not.

#6 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -
@Toxic said:
" usually random people who want to duel with you are guys with much better gear than you to grow their internet penis "
This. When declining a duel I like to be polite and whisper to the person who challenged me that I don't wish to duel, but you'll find that within WoW etiquette is something a lot of people lack.
#7 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2908 posts) -

Can't you set yourself to auto-decline duel requests in the options? It's been a long time since I played WOW but I remember having to do that because I would constantly get random challenges in Orgrimmar and it got kinda annoying.

#8 Edited by Levio (1784 posts) -

Always bow before a duel.  During the three second countdown, be sure to throw in a few sparring words.  When the fight begins, save your strongest spells for last!  It would be very rude to use your 30 minute cooldown while the opponent is still warming up.  Potions are not allowed unless fighting a deathknight or two mages.  The winner is obligated to bandage the loser, though the loser may reciprocate the act to show good manners.

Failure to follow these simple rules could result in guild blacklists all over your sever!

#9 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Just don't use any negative emotes before, during, or after the fight. There's just no need for that.
#10 Edited by oatz (1103 posts) -

The post above is a troll, if you hadn't figured it out already. 

Declining is fine. When someone ignores your first decline and just keeps trying to duel you, they're the ones being rude. During the duel, never ever use potions. At the end of the duel, say "gg". That's all I can think of. 

#11 Posted by theherbivorousbig (59 posts) -
@Toxic said:
This is kinda what I figured. Two of the dudes challenging me were significantly higher level than I was, which seemed weird. And one guy wouldn't fucking stop. 

@xobballox: word.
#12 Posted by Hunkulese (2725 posts) -
@ShadowConqueror said:
" Just don't use any negative emotes before, during, or after the fight. There's just no need for that. "
Wrong. Nothing turns the tide of the battle in your favor like a well timed /spit

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.