Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Duncan Jones Taking Reins of World of Warcraft Movie

• 151 results
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Subjugation

@Alex said:

Legendary is currently planning on beginning shooting this year, with a 2015 release date. We'll see if that sticks. Or if this even happens at all. Because video game movies, you know?

Truer words haven't ever been spoken. Are we allowed to call movies vaporware? A lot of video games turn into vaporware. They just don't happen, I would guess because either the director or some corporate face realizes along the way that it isn't going to turn out as well as they thought it would. Unless we're talking about Uwe Boll. That dude just doesn't care and puts out a "movie", if you can call it that, anyway, regardless of quality (mainly the lack thereof).

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#53  Edited By TadThuggish

I'm as excited about this as I am the John Woo-led Metroid movie.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By dr_mantas

Jesus Christ, are we back to six years ago? Hotspot's coming back?

I kinda wanna go skiing?

Although both Moon and Source Code were excellent, it's a video game movie.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Benny

@Rhete said:

2015? Just in time for the movie to be 10 years too late.

Absolutely, I feel like for as long as World of Warcraft has existed, it's never had less buzz than it has now.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#56  Edited By zyn

And so it begins... or continues... or ends... however you want to see it.

All I care about is that it's all in CG, and done by Blizzard... wait why do we need this dude again?

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By sirdesmond

Duncan Jones being on board is the only reason I have any interest at all in seeing how this films turns out, if it does turn out. I wish he would have gotten Star Wars Episode VII.

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By LarryDavis

@Zuldim said:

Ok, sure, I loved Moon, and The Source Code was pretty good, even if the ending didn't make much sense.

spoiler, none of source code made sense. :V

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#59  Edited By MjHealy

Duncan Jones knows how to direct him some genre films. I follow him on Twitter, seems like a pretty good dude and with a deep love for video games.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By MikkaQ

It's fun to see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and despite all of Zowie- ahem, I mean Duncan's efforts to distance himself professionally from his father, he's still made the same mistakes. This looks like this will be his "Let's Dance".

grayfox1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By grayfox1210

Wait...this is still a thing?

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Zuldim

@LarryDavis said:

@Zuldim said:

Ok, sure, I loved Moon, and The Source Code was pretty good, even if the ending didn't make much sense.

spoiler, none of source code made sense. :V

It was a fun, soft sci-fi thriller until the end, but in the last ~15 minutes it started contradicting the rules it set up earlier on how the "time travel" actually worked.

Not sure what you thought didn't make sense other than the end, I'd love to hear it.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Karkarov

Hmm well his picture makes him look high, strung out, sleep deprived, and possibly drunk. So since he looks like your average WoW player I can think of no one more capable of directing the movie.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By AuthenticM

Yes ! F off, Raimi. Here comes a talented director. :)

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By benpicko

Hopefully this means he can make Mute afterwards. Was looking forward to that.

galloughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By galloughs

It's crazy to me that literally anyone anywhere in the world thinks this won't be complete garbage. Doesn't matter who's attached to it.

JordanaRama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By JordanaRama

@Branthog said:

The guy who made mother fucking MOON should have far more ambition and far greater opportunities to realize that ambition than to be stuck making a shitty fucking MMO movie about World of Warcraft. I feel bad for this guy. I can't comment on Source Code, however, because I have no idea what the hell that is.

What's so wrong with a talented guy taking on something with an actual budget behind it? Sure his own financial motivations are certainly present, but I would rather see someone with some talent and creativity giving something like this a shot as opposed to the standard run-of-the-mill type of directors that have taken on recent game property films like Max Payne and Prince of Persia.

I don't even give a shit about WoW, but the fiction is interesting enough I guess, and I would like to see SOMEONE do something of worth with a game property for a change. When the likes of Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat are considered some of the best video game films there is a serious problem. So why not someone totally out of nowhere who has some talent like this guy give it a shot?

And for the record Source Code is really great. I'd recommend it.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By LikeaSsur

@Karkarov said:

Hmm well his picture makes him look high, strung out, sleep deprived, and possibly drunk. So since he looks like your average WoW player I can think of no one more capable of directing the movie.

Out of all the dumb WoW-player stereotypes, and you leave out morbidly obese. It's like you're not even trying.

Vigil80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Vigil80

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the moment for this has passed, especially by the time this actually gets made and released. I tend to think if they were going to make this movie, it should have come out five or so years ago.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#70  Edited By Undeadpool

Well he's a better director, so it's a step in the right direction. And I really never noticed HOW MUCH he looks like his dad...

@rebgav said:

@Hailinel said:

@zeekthegeek

@Doctorchimp said:

This better just end up being Labyrinth 2.

Well he is David Bowie's son.

That's the joke.

Nah, the "joke" is that Duncan Jones can't have a career or reputation of his own because his father was so successful.

"Hi, I'm Duncan Jones, director of 'Moon'."

YOU USED TO BE IN DAVID BOWIE'S BALLS!

It's a sadness.

As Max Landis pointed out: the idea of nepotism in Hollywood is somewhat overblown, no producer or company is going to let you make an entire movie just because you're someone's kid, they might as well buy you a HOUSE.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By GalacticPunt

Interesting factoid that I haven't seen anyone else point out: This is a video-game-movie director who actually has experience in the videogame industry. I'd say he's the first, but then there's one of the Wing Commander guys who got to direct the Wing Commander movie, right?

It was mentioned in some commentary on the Moon Blu-ray that he worked at some British game companies before moving to film. I think Giantbomb has a proper wiki entry started for him:

http://www.giantbomb.com/duncan-jones/72-68627/

bass_hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By bass_hero

What will this movie even be about? Its an mmo! I'm intriuged none the less.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#74  Edited By forkboy

@Branthog said:

The guy who made mother fucking MOON should have far more ambition and far greater opportunities to realize that ambition than to be stuck making a shitty fucking MMO movie about World of Warcraft. I feel bad for this guy. I can't comment on Source Code, however, because I have no idea what the hell that is.

Source Code is pretty enjoyable, but not quite as powerful emotionally as Moon was. Much more of a mainstream action flick

But yeah, I'm really shocked that he'd direct this. But at the same time...It's Duncan Jones. I've seen 2 of his movies & I've really liked them both. So I'll probably give this a chance because he's my second favourite "new" director after Steve McQueen right now.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Seedofpower

@wrecks said:

Too late. Don't care anymore.

Yeah, pretty much.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By nohthink

I love both Moon and Source Code, but they are very different from World of Warcraft. I wonder how it's gonna turn out to be.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#77  Edited By Crono

@Vigil80 said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the moment for this has passed, especially by the time this actually gets made and released. I tend to think if they were going to make this movie, it should have come out five or so years ago.

I'm with you on that. I would have been excited about the potential for a movie if it had come out about 3-4 years ago. But now, who cares? World of WarCraft came, made its mark, did its thing, and now - even though its a household name and still has a huge following - its just old news. The initial intrigue and interest has long since faded. We know what it is, what its about, it is (was?) cool, but a movie at this point would just be met largely by a "Meh" reaction in my opinion.

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By LoktarOgar

Should've just gotten Uwe Boll. Whatever else you might say about the man, he gets movies done.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#79  Edited By Undeadpool

@rebgav said:

@Undeadpool said:

Well he's a better director, so it's a step in the right direction. And I really never noticed HOW MUCH he looks like his dad...

@rebgav said:

@Hailinel said:

@zeekthegeek

@Doctorchimp said:

This better just end up being Labyrinth 2.

Well he is David Bowie's son.

That's the joke.

Nah, the "joke" is that Duncan Jones can't have a career or reputation of his own because his father was so successful.

"Hi, I'm Duncan Jones, director of 'Moon'."

YOU USED TO BE IN DAVID BOWIE'S BALLS!

It's a sadness.

As Max Landis pointed out: the idea of nepotism in Hollywood is somewhat overblown, no producer or company is going to let you make an entire movie just because you're someone's kid, they might as well buy you a HOUSE.

The fuck are you talking about? I was referring to the fact that, much as is on display in this thread, you can't say the man's name without everyone immediately blathering on about his father.

Duder, dial back a notch, I was AGREEING with you saying that it's sad that people think you could launch such a fantastic directing career just cause your dad's a famous singer (who you distanced yourself from by changing your name).

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By DonPixel

I certainly care more about Duncan Jones than WoW, so this is weird I guess.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#81  Edited By KaneRobot

@AuthenticM said:

Yes ! F off, Raimi. Here comes a talented director. :)

Wrong.

Nerolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82  Edited By Nerolus

It can't possibly be any more interesting to watch than the documentaries of those guys that were addicted to WoW.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#83  Edited By Cincaid

The game will be 11 years old when the movie is going up in theaters, unless that date gets pushed up once again. One has to wonder if WoW is even relevant by then anymore to attract a large audience, unless the rumored Titan is somehow connected to Warcraft and the movie is a ploy to bring more awareness to WoW / Titan.

WaywardGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By WaywardGamer

@Wampa1: You've come to a proper conclusion about this. Jones has been trying to get a future Berlin noir about a mute bartender searching for his business partner in a city of gangsters off the ground for a while now. That sounds like his love child project, considering how he's stated in interviews that it's his love letter to Blade Runner. Nobody was giving him money to make it so he's had the film shelved for some years now.

Also, dude is currently writing a biopic about Ian Fleming. I'm sure we'll see him taking advantage of budget prestige after this.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By RedRoach

Luckily Pirates of the Caribbean came out when the theme park ride was at it's peak popularity.

Oh wait, that's insane.

Who gives a shit if WoW is popular when this movie comes out as long as it's a good movie? It's not like the movie's success or quality is directly connected to the game.

Also, last time I checked, WoW still has 9.1 million subs, which has since shot back up with the release of MoP and Blizz changing how they add content to the game. 9.1 is still massive, not as massive as 12 million but still the largest subscription mmo ever.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#87  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Duncan Jones (aside from being a great director) actually worked on video games, so I have high hopes for this one.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Karkarov

@LikeaSsur said:

@Karkarov said:

Out of all the dumb WoW-player stereotypes, and you leave out morbidly obese. It's like you're not even trying.

Fair enough, so he only looks like 25-40% of the people playing WoW.

ICYHOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ICYHOT

Never gave two craps about World of Warcraft, but Duncan Jones could do a movie about the phone book and I'd watch it.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@ Alex

Why do you title it World of Warcraft movie? Not even the article you linked mentions World of Warcraft but rather plain and simple Warcraft, which was always the case when talking about this project (prior with Sam Raimi).

There was pre-WoW stuff in case people don't get the difference. For example the whole Arthas stuff, which was often considered a good story for a potential movie, is mostly developed within Warcraft 3. WotLK just has the tail end of it.

Apart from that it's that to see how pathetic the Giantbomb threads have become. 80% of the comments are pretty much "WoW sucks I don't care for WoW and omg WoW is old."

Avatar image for dancingpolkabear
    dancingpolkabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By dancingpolkabear

I would much rather him make something else than waste his time on this. But if it helps fund his other projects (such as Mute) then I'm ok with it

Bunny_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Bunny_Fire

well Gl to him Moon was a interesting movie

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NaDannMaGoGo: Well, can you really blame people for being burnt out on a series that has been going on for this long? I don't think people not liking WoW is any kind of moral failing, they're just tired of hearing about an old game that most of them have moved on from.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#94  Edited By viking_funeral

As long as it's a Warcraft and not a World of Warcraft film, this could be interesting.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@President_Barackbar said:

@NaDannMaGoGo: Well, can you really blame people for being burnt out on a series that has been going on for this long? I don't think people not liking WoW is any kind of moral failing, they're just tired of hearing about an old game that most of them have moved on from.

Well, granted it's partially Alex fault, it first of all is NOT a World of Warcraft (you know, the game) focused movie. It's a Warcraft movie and none said it'll be about WoW specifically. And then quite frankly I don't understand why it should be an issue to make this movie now? Are you telling me all that matters is the release time? Should it have come close to release of WoW or so? The fuck does this matter, if they want to make a good Warcraft movie that isn't just some cheap advertisement shit (like say the Dead Space bullshit Animes) what's wrong with that?

WoW being an old game shouldn't play much of a role. But of course shitty forums like these go on an outrage whenever they here their keywords like WoW, EA, Activision and what else. I mean apparently we're 5 pages into this discussions and I was the first (I think) to point out that Alex didn't grasp that it's a Warcraft (franchise) movie instead of a World of Warcraft focused one. How can you even have discussions if everyone just spams his "lolfasihgfa fuck this rofl!!"

edit: The problem is of course the, by now, rather huge userbase of Giantbomb. Pretty much every online community turns to shit when it reaches a certain size and there isn't some damn good moderation in place (which it isn't here, let's be honest). And stricter moderation would probably feel like it goes against the "relaxed" Giantbomb attitude, but in reality there's nothing else to do if you want to avoid this crap.

GunsAreDrawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By GunsAreDrawn

I loved Moon but after seeing Source Code and reading here that Legendary Pictures or part of it, just makes it seem like it will be crap.

I don't see how a Warcraft movie would ever turn out good, it seems like you would have to make the Humans protagonists because using any other race would seem incredibly goofy - especially if they are speaking english.

I just think this will be a total critical failure, but maybe it will make a lot of money because so many people are currently obsessed with WoW. Just wondering if WoW will still be popular in 2015, which I don't see this being made in time for as you would assume there would be a ton of time spent in after effects for a movie like this.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#97  Edited By Red

I hate the idea of a World of Warcraft movie, but I guess Duncan Jones could make it tasteful.

raynate2022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By raynate2022

@squidraid: BAH! I hadn't heard that. I just think it's too much of a risk to try Live Action movie that needs to have SO MUCH fantasy elements without the budget to back it up. 100M is a great budget..but is it enough?

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@GunsAreDrawn said:

I loved Moon but after seeing Source Code and reading here that Legendary Pictures or part of it, just makes it seem like it will be crap.

I don't see how a Warcraft movie would ever turn out good, it seems like you would have to make the Humans protagonists because using any other race would seem incredibly goofy - especially if they are speaking english.

I just think this will be a total critical failure, but maybe it will make a lot of money because so many people are currently obsessed with WoW. Just wondering if WoW will still be popular in 2015, which I don't see this being made in time for as you would assume there would be a ton of time spent in after effects for a movie like this.

I also just cannot imagine this movie to turn out really good. I mean especially that it turns out to be a good Warcraft movie that feels like it got the same atmosphere of the game. One of the biggest issues are the aesthetics, I mean the whole art style in Warcraft has always been exaggerated features: Huge hands, feet etc. even for the human race already. Maybe they can do most of that with practical effects even but if they want to display some of the other races they'll just have to go the CGI route. And that will not only become extremely expensive but will also be an extreme challenge to get right. I mean I don't now if Blizzard's Cinematics department would collaborate with the movie's effects team later on and help out but even then, that would be just so goddamn hard to get right. Especially considering so far we've only seen e.g. Orcs in Blizzards pre-rendered cinematics which are completely suited to the art style of course. But when you suddenly have to make it fit a live action movie - I dunno.

I just cannot imagine this turning out especially good, or even if it's somewhat decent on its own it will probably rather hurt the franchise because it just doesn't fit or so. I mean the Director, who as some pointed out already has been very interested in making this Warcraft movie (I remember when he tweeted about it some years ago, when Sam Raimi was still on it). Moon was a good movie, I don't think Sourcecode was more than medicore but okay, he may be a great choice.

Legendary Pictures has worked on some great movies, so they may be good for the project, of course we can't know that.

But even if they somehow found the perfect director, the best producution studio and have an unlimited budget, I cannot see a Warcraft movie being created that I'll actually like.

If it would exist I'd be delighted to see it though, especially if about Arthas' stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.