Getting back into WoW after 2 years, need some help.

#1 Posted by Raven_Sword (3442 posts) -

Ok, so I get a free level 80 coming my way due to the scroll of resurection promotion, but I have no idea which class to pick for my lvl 80. I havent palyed in 2 years, so i dont know whats still good, whats bad, or whats the best thing to play as right now. I remember rouges seemed to be the most popular thing since sliced bread, but im not sure if everyones just rouge-ing it up still. I was considering a warlock, a mage, a shadow priest, or something else. im really not sure. Any advice or feedback would be great. Also, I really could use some helping respecting my lvl 77 shaman. I haven't played in 2 years, so I'm not sure what's the best leveling spec for them right now or what spec I should do. Thanks.

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3527 posts) -

@Raven_Sword said:

I remember rouges rouge-ing

I think we have a winner.

#3 Posted by css_switchfoot (119 posts) -

The entire game has changed since 2 years ago. I would recommend leveling a toon from scratch, it does not take long at all anymore. Even for casual players. Its also kind of fun since they redesigned every zone and quest line from the vanilla game.

#4 Posted by IAmNotBatman (628 posts) -

I was hoping you needed a different kind of help.

#5 Posted by adoggz (2058 posts) -

go with a druid or something.

#6 Posted by 71Ranchero (2719 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@Raven_Sword said:

I think we have a winRAR.

Fixed!

@Raven_Sword: Just play whatever looks fun. You only have so little time until MoP anyways. If you cant decide then check out Blizzards MoP site and read up on all the class changes to help you make a decision.

#7 Edited by Management (596 posts) -
#8 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Take that scroll and delete it right out of your inbox and never look back. Remember why you stopped playing in the first place, now imagine that WoW got worse since then, then try and find a good reason to even bother.

#9 Posted by Karkarov (3056 posts) -

The thread title is misleading. You want us to give you WoW advice not help you by convincing you not to get back into WoW.

As for WoW advice...

1: Don't bother with the shaman. They are the least played least popular class for a reason right now.

2: Of the three you are thinking about I would suggest Mage. Personally I find melee classes alot more fun though.

3: If you are going to play it take your time and mess around/enjoy at your own pace. There will be a new expac before the year is out probably so within the next 3 months end game is going to stop anyway.

4: You might want to wait for pandaria anyway, an expac is always a better time to jump on board.

#10 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -

@Raven_Sword: If you want to pvp rogue, mage or warlock are generally considered the best classes. I didn't pve much, but when I quit rogues and mages were also considered the best dps to have

#11 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Take that scroll and delete it right out of your inbox and never look back. Remember why you stopped playing in the first place, now imagine that WoW got worse since then, then try and find a good reason to even bother.

I can endorse this statement. I have two scrolls of resurrection sitting in my inbox, both of which I plan to ignore forever. I really wouldn't return to the game unless the reason you quit in the first place is somehow no longer applicable.

#12 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Ya you need some help if your back in that life sucking hole.

#13 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Don't play World of Warcraft is my advice. There is nothing to do at 85 after roughly 3 days of doing heroics and the PvP is still horribly imbalanced and bad.

#14 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

So much negativity here, what the hell duders, to each their own.

Just go with whatever you think looks best, if you can't decide look for some videos or perhaps start a new trial account to try some classes out.
Jumping in at 80 is always a strange endeavor, you'll feel very estranged from your class and its skills I can assure you.

#15 Posted by adoggz (2058 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Jumping in at 80 is always a strange endeavor, you'll feel very estranged from your class and its skills I can assure you.

I can attest to this. I now have a 85 priest and I have NO idea what the hell I am doing and I often forget I even have that character.

#16 Posted by css_switchfoot (119 posts) -

WoW will always have negativity from the majority of people that stopped playing. It used to take a large time investment to do anything in that game. After that initial time investment, people banged their heads against PuG heroics and the higher end raids with scrub guilds. Frustrated night after night they eventually stop playing because their time investment either wasn't worth it anymore or they let their life get to a point where they were depressed with themselves. So when they look back they see frustration and depression, and react with anger.

That doesn't describe everyone's experience but most people probably won't admit it describes theirs. I never will thats for sure

#17 Posted by Raven_Sword (3442 posts) -

Well, how long do I have to use that instant 80 before it expires? Also, I wanted to get back into because I really just wanted to level my shamn to 80 or level cap and be done with it. But I'll probaly be hooked again in the process. So I was considering either doing a rouge, Mage, warlock, priest, or maybe even a pally or something. To be honest The mmo I really wanted to play was swtor, but my PC can't run it. I plan on getting a new one semi soon, though.

#18 Posted by ajamafalous (11938 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
So much negativity here, what the hell duders, to each their own.
I HATE THIS GAME SO YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO LIKE IT 

Anyway, class choice depends both on what you want to do (PVE/PVP, tank/heal/dps) and what class fits your playstyle.
#20 Posted by Raven_Sword (3442 posts) -

@ajamafalous I want to do pve with maybe some pvp and dps. No interest as a healer or tank.

#21 Edited by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

The thread title is misleading. You want us to give you WoW advice not help you by convincing you not to get back into WoW.

As for WoW advice...

1: Don't bother with the shaman. They are the least played least popular class for a reason right now.

2: Of the three you are thinking about I would suggest Mage. Personally I find melee classes alot more fun though.

3: If you are going to play it take your time and mess around/enjoy at your own pace. There will be a new expac before the year is out probably so within the next 3 months end game is going to stop anyway.

4: You might want to wait for pandaria anyway, an expac is always a better time to jump on board.

Do not listen to this guys first point. Shaman healing has been and will always be good, if you don't have a resto shaman or a druid in a raid you have no aoe healing, one of them will be needed. Shamans not being popular is a pro not a con also, since when do people want to compete for gear? Lastly, shamans in pvp are pretty strong, but I haven't played since 4.2 so I'm not sure how strong they are in raids. Chances are they still aren't the best DPS, so if you're down to heal on your shaman it's probably the best choice.

#22 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4689 posts) -

Mage.

#23 Edited by Karkarov (3056 posts) -

@CaptainCody said:

Do not listen to this guys first point. Shaman healing has been and will always be good, if you don't have a resto shaman or a druid in a raid you have no aoe healing, one of them will be needed. Shamans not being popular is a pro not a con also, since when do people want to compete for gear? Lastly, shamans in pvp are pretty strong, but I haven't played since 4.2 so I'm not sure how strong they are in raids. Chances are they still aren't the best DPS, so if you're down to heal on your shaman it's probably the best choice.

And now you know why Druid is the most common class played amongst all guilds that have killed heroic ragnaros in firelands. Shaman coincidentally is the least. Healing is also the only option for shaman, basically any other dps class will out perform them and they no longer have buffs only they bring.

Edit: Basically to sum up, in all progressive "srs busniz" raids you won't find shaman. My raid group had an enhance shaman for a long time and while we are a basically mediocre raid guild at best even my raid leaders were looking for an excuse to replace the guy with anything else. Also he already said he hates healing.

#24 Posted by Raven_Sword (3442 posts) -

Well, I think I'm between warlock, Mage, and either paladin or priest. Or rouge. Lol.

#25 Posted by Lestater (394 posts) -

Mages are the easiest thing on the planet to learn and play in a raid scenario. So, if you're gonna start at level 80, you won't be that overwhelmed.

#26 Posted by Raven_Sword (3442 posts) -

Well, are mages fun to play? are Locks hard to pick up? I have some experince with Warlock. leveled one to 55 once. what about rouges? or priests? or paladins?

#27 Edited by FoolishChaos (434 posts) -

I picked a rogue as my 80 and its been pretty fun and isn't too overwhelming. Combat spec. We recently got a group together and did the burning crusade raids and I got some cool gear to transmogrify! Fun times.

However I would definitely consider going for a class that can do something other than dps, if you want to do dungeons. When I don't have my healing buddy I usually wait around 15 minutes for a random dungeon. This compared to a tank I am leveling with another healer friend and we get instant queues. I think it also makes it a bit more fun than just dps'ing.

I've also got a 70 lock, my first character. I can't say how much they have changed, but they are still mostly about applying DoT's and having a pet. It can be annoying to find your stride in a dungeon scenario if your tank can't hold group aggro, but I still like them.

edit: Priests are just kind of boring IMO. Shadow form annoys the hell out of me just like boomkin does. Why have all this awesome gear if you never really get to see it? Paladins are a class I want to try someday. They seem like fun.

#28 Posted by sixpin (1287 posts) -

I haven't played since about 2 months after Cataclysm (obligatory comment about never playing WoW again), but I'd go with mage. When I quit, I was playing a mage and really enjoyed the class. Locks are a bit more complex, but I didn't play one much due to not caring for the play style. Rogues are min/max nightmares (if you don't like spreadsheets), but fun to screw with people on PVP servers. Rogues also die too quickly when not in stealth. Priests I know almost nothing about. Paladins are fine, but they where kind of boring to play with at the end of Wrath and I didn't like the "combo" system they now use for combat.

#29 Posted by Raven_Sword (3442 posts) -

Well, I think I've narrowed it down to warlock, Mage, or paladin.

#30 Edited by Ragemachine (40 posts) -

I don't think it really matters what you play anymore. I played WoW vanilla when the game first came out and raided hardcore up until right before BC release, didn't touch the game again at all until cata and jumped right in on a completely different class I leveled up from 70 or something and didn't miss a step.

WoW is pretty simplified, and never has been that complex. Even with all the changes and expansions and everything, every class still plays the same way as vanilla for the most part and it's incredibly easy to jump into and play and do fine with hardly any clue as to what you're even doing.

That said, I played Cata and Pvped for a bit then dropped the game again, there just isn't much draw to the game for me anymore.

#31 Posted by Khadyn (228 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@Raven_Sword said:

THE most annoying thing when in a city in WoW...I swear 90% of players didn't know how to spell R-O-G-U-E...rouge is a color..rogue is a high damage, stealth class. See the difference? Anyways, I agree with a earlier post that if you can start from scratch or just go to one of the WoW forums. Usually one class is getting bitched about being overpowered (usually mage or warlock /popcorn drama bitch fest). I haven't played since the first month of Cataclysm came out (got bored really fast) and have no interest in the new one coming out..Diablo 3 ALL THE WAY!! Good luck though...

#32 Posted by Gruff182 (854 posts) -

Play what you think you'll enjoy.

More importantly..

Rogue.

Lose.

#33 Posted by JackSukeru (5908 posts) -

@Khadyn said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Raven_Sword said:

THE most annoying thing when in a city in WoW...I swear 90% of players didn't know how to spell R-O-G-U-E...rouge is a color..rogue is a high damage, stealth class. See the difference?

I totally get why so many people get it wrong though. When you say it, it definetly doesn't sound like rog-ueh, it sounds like row-geh/rou-geh.

#34 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

I know when I was playing for the last expansion I stuck with rogue/warlock for the main classes as they were pretty straight forward with the class types compared to the rather diverse ones (shaman, paladin, priest) when it came to groups. If just going single player more to see the changes & occasionally group with people I'd just go with rogue or warlock as the game with the last expansion was quite easy to just explore & get a lot out of the game with either of those classes while holding your own in combat.

#35 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

You only have so little time until MoP anyways. If you cant decide then check out Blizzards MoP site and read up on all the class changes to help you make a decision.

To be fair, I doubt MoP will be out before September/October (beta just started, summer soon), so there's plenty of time.

@Raven_Sword: Warlocks seem to be troubled (and extremely rare) at the moment - as far as I can remember, it's the one class receiving the most changes in the next expansion (Mists of Pandaria), so that's worth knowing, at least.

Only advice I can give is to pick whatever role you want to play as (Tank, melee DPS, Ranged DPS, Healer) and then pick a class that can perform that role + any secondary roles you may be interested in.

No such thing as a "best class".

#36 Edited by Lestater (394 posts) -

@Raven_Sword: Fire Mages are a BLAST (kekekek) to play. They are the strongest DPS at the moment. They don't have many nukes to manage, you can basically do their rotation while moving and they have some of strongest AoE in the game. Arcane is boring (some people DO like it though) and Frost is really only taken seriously in PVP, but if you ever feel like PVPing, you'll at least have one of the best specs for it at your disposable.

Cataclysm was not very melee friendly, so that's why I suggest you steer clear of the Rogue and Paladin for now. There's typically more movement and shit to avoid as a melee DPS, but others (including myself) would argue that all the extra movement is what makes melee DPS so engaging.

Warlocks can have a lot of abilities to manage so that's just a class I recommend you level from scratch or it could just be a headache. Shadow Priests are like streamlined Warlocks, a lot less abilities to manage, but still a "dark" caster conceptually if that's what you are looking for.

But you would most certainly not be disappointed with a Fire Mage, they were fun to play before they got a massive buff and now they are just King-God Mode Omega Jesus Sector 9.

#37 Posted by Raven_Sword (3442 posts) -

Wel, I've actualy given serious thought into playing a paladin. Are they good? If so, which race?

#38 Posted by adoggz (2058 posts) -

@Raven_Sword: pallys are fine. and blood elves are pretty much the only race to play anything as.

#39 Posted by DoctorTran (1549 posts) -

@css_switchfoot said:

Its also kind of fun since they redesigned every zone and quest line from the vanilla game.

No shit... I remember playing this in 2007 when I first got my now, old PC. I just got my new PC and figured "Why not... 20 levels for free." Jesus. So fuckin' different.

#40 Posted by Keldrath (48 posts) -

@Raven_Sword said:

Wel, I've actualy given serious thought into playing a paladin. Are they good? If so, which race?

Some people might in fact call them OP *gasp*. Yeah, you heard it here first.

In all seriousness, Paladins are great, they're a good versatile class, especially well suited for getting back into the game. They're relatively easy to learn and you can play all three roles depending on your spec so there's lots of wiggle room to find out what you enjoy. I'm a dedicated Mage, but pallys are a close second.

#41 Posted by makari (597 posts) -

@Raven_Sword said:

Well, are mages fun to play? are Locks hard to pick up? I have some experince with Warlock. leveled one to 55 once. what about rouges? or priests? or paladins?

If you like spamming the 1 key a lot then mages are a hoot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.