Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Good starting MMO?

beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By beckley205

Is WoW a fairly easy MMO to get into is there one that is more acsessible for a first time pc gamer like me?

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gizmo

WoW's complexity goes up with your own level, so yes.

WoW was my first MMO, too, actually.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

No, WOW is the way to go.  Learn that and the rules apply to most others made after it. 

Paddis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Paddis

World of Warcraft is very easy to pick up, it's a generally simple game. Some people like to make insane calculations using spreadsheets to prove some weird point, it's known as theorycrafting. If you want to, you can always download the free trial of WoW and "try it before you buy it", that's what I'd recommend.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By ColinWright

Yes, I love wow :)

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By mau64

Good luck playing WOW, it was my first MMO I tried to play and just couldn't get into it. I really thought it would be more action oriented but it really is stripped down.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By sins_of_mosin

WoW is a great MMO to start off with.  So many classes and races to choose from.  They really make it very simple for new characters to quickly level up and keep the down time to a minimum.  You will have a blast.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By fjordson

Absolutely. It's better than any other MMO I've ever played at acclimating you to the genre and its mechanics. I know literally dozens of people who's first MMO experience was World of Warcraft, and I've always heard it described as a fun and painless experience.

And the end game has plenty of more in-depth content to partake in once you're more experienced and familiar with the game.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ryax

WoW is easily the best mmo to play. you make think the grind is horrible (until cataclysm) but once you hit 70 it gets alot better because the dungeons in northrend are amazing. end game content is awesome too. so the grind is worth it.

Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By ComradeKritstov

No, play EVE.

tumes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tumes

MMOs are a pretty massive time sink, but WoW is a good one.
    soralapio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By soralapio
    @beckley205 said:
    " Is WoW a fairly easy MMO to get into is there one that is more acsessible for a first time pc gamer like me? "
    Yes, WoW was designed to be accessible and user-friendly. They've retuned it even more over the years and it really helps you understand the basics. Sadly it doesn't explain all the things you'd really need to know about the finer points of your class, but you can pick those up on forums if you get serious about the game.  

WoW was my first MMO back in the day and it converted me from a hater to someone who understands the appeal of the genre, even though I don't think most other MMOs are as good as WoW.
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrGetBonus

It's prolly the most accessible and user friendly MMO. You'll pick it up fast.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @beckley205 said:

" Is WoW a fairly easy MMO to get into is there one that is more acsessible for a first time pc gamer like me? "

It's a very user friendly MMORPG and Blizzard makes the game easier and more convenient with every update.
    Myrddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Myrddon

Yes, it was Blizzard's design philosophy from day one to make it easy to get into.

One of the producers actually said once "You don't have to know the lingo(language), we're going to teach them all that."
    That said, most that play it now have years of experience under their belt and will not be very tolerante to new players.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lebkin

As you can see, there is a large consensus that WoW is a good choice. The only caveat I would put toward WoW is its subscription fee. There are other options (like Guild Wars or DDO), that are free. You might be able to get your feet wet, see what you like, before committing any fees.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @beckley205: Definitely wait for Cataclysm before you start, It makes the start game much more enjoyable.
    Magiczipper82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Magiczipper82

WoW was my first MMO and 3 level 80's later I can honestly say that it is the easiest MMO to get into right from the start. I went in with no experience in the genre and WoW taught me everything.  And with cataclysm it will be even better.  But the MMO to watch is The Old Republic.  That is going to be kickass

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By ToxicFruit

Yeah WoW was the first MMO I played and it is tons of fun !

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RE_Player1
    @beckley205: Yes WOW is a great starter mmo. You should join the Giantbomb guild because we have a guild bank full of items new players can use. Look up the details on the Cataclysm forum and join the Bomb Squad :)
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Clinkz
    @mau64 said:

" Good luck playing WOW, it was my first MMO I tried to play and just couldn't get into it. I really thought it would be more action oriented but it really is stripped down. "

Not trying to defend anything but I have played my fair share of MMOs and WoW is definitely the most fast paced and action oriented. Please tell what MMO you are talking about.
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grissefar

Yes, WoW is great and so easy to pick up that your grandmother could do it.

It's also by far the best MMO out there. If you've played others you'll know that nothing really comes close. I haven't played it since the first expansion but from the looks of Rorcraft, it's been much improved since then.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

WoW is the standard for MMOs so yes.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Donos

Having given up EVE, and tried to start WoW, I'd still say EVE is a better starting mmo. As I see it, most of the systems of WoW are very unintuitive and often buried several layers deep, with all sorts of redundant character stats to track with no apparent impact. EVE may have just as many systems or more, but at least they're relatively self-explanatory, and the recently redone tutorials do a good job of walking you through them.

Example: Equipping a pair of pants in WoW gives me +45 armor. Great. But what does +45 armor do? How much does it actually reduce damage by? On the other hand, equipping an armor buff in EVE will grant something like +10% damage reduction, accompanied by a little blurb saying "This reduces all damage taken by 10%". There, nice and clear.

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By mau64
    @Clinkz: I understand what you are talking about. I just don't think the MMO is a good genre for me. I really didn't like the combat and felt the beginning quests are rather boring. 
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By YoungFrey

WoW was my first MMO and I never had any problems getting into it.  However the upcoming expansion, Cataclysm which will hopefully arrive this year is improving the entire original leveling zones.  Although it's probably safe to just start now, I don't think I know anyone who liked WoW and didn't level an alt.

One advantage to WoW's popularity is that there are an endless number of support sites.  Wiki, database, theorycrafting, and individual sites dedicated to each possible class and spec.  To say nothing of all the mods people have designed to make play itself better.

Lordborg909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lordborg909
    @RiotBananas said:
    " @ComradeKritstov said:
    " No, play EVE. "
    I lol'd. "
    So did I, EVE blows
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @ComradeKritstov said:
    " No, play EVE. "
    yes we welcome newbs with open arms and pew pews

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.