Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Hello my name is Blue Square.

BigTee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BigTee

I’ve been playing World of Warcraft since its release in the UK and since that day I have enjoyed countless hours of adventures, met many cool people and formed friendships that have extended into the real world.

However recently, I’ve felt that the community has a whole in World of Warcraft has become more and more immature as a whole. Surely I’m not the only one to notice this right?

Maybe it’s a case of rose tinted glasses, sure there’s asses everywhere however there seems to be an abundance of them in the community as a whole now than there ever was. Rather than saying “Hello” or “Hey” or even “Hai”, you get the arbitrary “ach, or gearscore?” response to practically everything. Is it me or does that just seem very, very backwards? Why do I need to have proof that I’ve done something when the sole point in me joining your group would be … to do it?

The game has become a lot more friendly to pick up groups to an extent and because of that, people don’t feel the need to act in a decent manner, get into a guild and do things in what was the normal fashion, these days people can get their purple fixes by recruiting 9, or 24 other faceless people and head butting the boss till it dies.

That just feels wrong to me, surely the whole point of a MMORPG is to create a massive community, where you can work together and get things done, and not just pick up random people where the only interaction you have with them is asking if they’ve got an achievement or high enough gearscore.

Some people don’t even have the courtesy of using your characters name. Sometimes I can understand, if a guy has a name like Éáhalshéáé then I might be loathed to type it properly, but I’d still attempt to call him something similar like “Eahal”. Sadly, no one makes that effort either. Instead of your name you’re now “hunter” or “healer” or “tank”, you get assigned a raid icon so your name is essentially “blue square” to that group.

The Random Dungeon Tool has also made things worse. It’s weakened the bonds of community even more, now I don’t even need to talk anyone on my server to find a group. Sure it’s a handy tool here and there, or to get a quick daily instance done but overall, it hurts the experience in my opinion. It’s akin to playing a death match on a FPS. There are people there, you have your game and you get out, there’s very little community spirit, something which MMORPG’s should have over any other type of online game, something which WoW should promote.

Sadly, the World of Warcraft isn’t really a pleasant world to visit these days.

BigTee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BigTee

I’ve been playing World of Warcraft since its release in the UK and since that day I have enjoyed countless hours of adventures, met many cool people and formed friendships that have extended into the real world.

However recently, I’ve felt that the community has a whole in World of Warcraft has become more and more immature as a whole. Surely I’m not the only one to notice this right?

Maybe it’s a case of rose tinted glasses, sure there’s asses everywhere however there seems to be an abundance of them in the community as a whole now than there ever was. Rather than saying “Hello” or “Hey” or even “Hai”, you get the arbitrary “ach, or gearscore?” response to practically everything. Is it me or does that just seem very, very backwards? Why do I need to have proof that I’ve done something when the sole point in me joining your group would be … to do it?

The game has become a lot more friendly to pick up groups to an extent and because of that, people don’t feel the need to act in a decent manner, get into a guild and do things in what was the normal fashion, these days people can get their purple fixes by recruiting 9, or 24 other faceless people and head butting the boss till it dies.

That just feels wrong to me, surely the whole point of a MMORPG is to create a massive community, where you can work together and get things done, and not just pick up random people where the only interaction you have with them is asking if they’ve got an achievement or high enough gearscore.

Some people don’t even have the courtesy of using your characters name. Sometimes I can understand, if a guy has a name like Éáhalshéáé then I might be loathed to type it properly, but I’d still attempt to call him something similar like “Eahal”. Sadly, no one makes that effort either. Instead of your name you’re now “hunter” or “healer” or “tank”, you get assigned a raid icon so your name is essentially “blue square” to that group.

The Random Dungeon Tool has also made things worse. It’s weakened the bonds of community even more, now I don’t even need to talk anyone on my server to find a group. Sure it’s a handy tool here and there, or to get a quick daily instance done but overall, it hurts the experience in my opinion. It’s akin to playing a death match on a FPS. There are people there, you have your game and you get out, there’s very little community spirit, something which MMORPG’s should have over any other type of online game, something which WoW should promote.

Sadly, the World of Warcraft isn’t really a pleasant world to visit these days.

Smokay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Smokay

I used to play WoW,I stopped after  WoTK came out but what your describing seems to be happing a bit in burning crusade too but PuG only whent as far karazhan or maybe Gruuls Lair is your lucky.I cant really imagine having only 9 other people do a high level raid dugeaon it seems like that is far too little people.And yes having people juge you on the type of gear you have really sucks and they dont even pay atettion to you.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By luce
    katajero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By katajero

I understand what you mean dude, when I used to play Wow and started doing group dungeon runs, they always just shout by your "role", not your name. Mind you my revenge for such robotic players was I ninja looted until they finally dropped my name :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.