Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Hey the Full Warcraft trailer is finally here

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Looks nice. I have faith in it

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Went from the thoughts of "hmm maybe I'll be interested in this" to "nooooopppppeeeee" after that full trailer.

The CG does not mix well with the human actors, and looks way too clean and fake. The minor story bits they showed look abysmal. I adore Warcraft's lore up to and around Mists of Pandaria, and this just seems to be shitting on the old lore of Warcraft one. Sure they can just say it's a different take on the universe, but that always seems like such a cop out for an already established world. The fact that they are going full on "Durotan is the good orc and will work with the humans" angle makes me so, so sad. And baby Thrall Moses?

Like everything else Blizzard has done in the last year, or probably two, this just makes me sad and yearn for the old days of Blizzard. I'm sure some people will dig it, and good for them, but it's not my thing anymore, and Blizzard really isn't a company for me anymore. It sucks :(

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Milkman

I said this when the teaser came out but this looks like an animated movie. Everything about how the live actors and the CGI interact looks weird and wrong. Duncan Jones is great and I'm glad he's having success but nothing about this looks all that appealing.

CrazyDiamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reminds me a bit too much of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Who Cares Anymore... Because of that movie I fall asleep whenever I see an ,,epic fantasy battle''. On the other hand, as a person who knows little to nothing about the Warcraft universe I'd want to see them focus on the orc characters. Their background seems more interesting than usual human castle stuff.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Deathstriker

It's annoying that fantasy is so white/European and when there is someone else they're more or less "savage" with colored, brownish skin - tribal and with braids/dreadlocks. The orcs here and the Dorthaki in GoT. Paula Patton who's mixed in real life looks to play a mixed orc/human. Other than that, it looks "meh". The CG needs to be on the same level of Apes or better and it looks like generic fantasy, but that goes for the video game too.

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks absolutely god awful. The humans look like they're in a TV movie and the dialogue is bottom of the barrel Metzen trash.. The Orcs look cool but that's it. Sad that Duncan Jones wasted 5 years on this, he's too talented to be a hired hand.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yea they need some more work on the VFX for sure, but that's with all the trailers with heavy CG stuff in it; they will probably nail it in the last few weeks (with some uber crunch time). Especially that awful greenscreen shot of the human in the first seconds where the lighting seem to be mismatching with the background..

The WoW expansion cinematic was looking a bit more spectaculair to me.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the CGI looks pretty much like Hobbit, which is to say not good at all.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Uh oh.....this doesn't look very good at all :(

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

This does not inspire confidence....

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I don't think it looks overly bad but not OMGWTFBBQ exciting either. The biggest I have is that it seems to cover the events of Warcraft 1 and the majority of Warcraft 2. I'm trying to recall my Warcraft 2 Tides of Darkness but I'm fairly certain at some point Orcs and Humans fight together but Durotan is long dead by the point.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FrostyRyan

The acting looks awful. Most of the CGI makes the movie looks like it turned into a cartoon(and there's lots of that.) Also looks like generic "fantasy movie" that you'll forget about a few hours after you walk out of the theater. I don't know that Warcraft is the appropriate venue for a film but these problems certainly aren't doing it any favors.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's really weird to see the orcs more or less in Warcraft's style and then just regular-ass humans. Makes the whole thing look like an actual Blizzard cinematic crossed with some cosplay.

But whatever, the whole thing doesn't seem that bad.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll probably watch it because why not, but I still would have preferred a movie in the starcraft setting instead.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has that horrible Chris Metzen feel that recent Blizzard lore has had. Was he involved in the writing of this movie?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By penguindust

Probably would have been better if they had just used CG humans as well. At least, then it would be consistent. Also, where are the elves? I know this takes place in old Warcraft lore, but I thought at least the Night Elves were around then.

LOTR_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penguindust: Night Elves don't show up till 3. They are on a whole other continent.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sometimes wonder if gamers have too lofty expectations of video game movies, judging by some of the responses here.

I personally think it looks fine, if a little bland, considering it is a video game movie. If there is something really bad to be said about this, it's that it really shows how stupid Blizzard's shoulder armour design is. Just, man, look at those pauldrons.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By crithon

ugh, wow, talk about a deflating balloon sound..... So this is what happens when a game developer has too much creative controls.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was some uncanny valley issues, I felt, but overall I thought it looked fine.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Doesn't look terrible or anything to me, just by the numbers and bland.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man seeing SyFy actors in actual movies is weird.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Problem with seeing orcs interacting with humans is that Lord of the Rings did it so well (back when it was practical costumes).

I like that early piece of the lore, always have, so it'll be cool to see it onscreen. Everything looks pretty good, but there's definitely a disconnect between the humans and orcs. Like they were a step away from going fully animated but decided to use live action.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Looks like a mediocre fantasy movie.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@yesiamaduck said:

Looks like a mediocre fantasy movie.

..at best. I hope I'm wrong!

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gundogan

Yea they should've gone full Blizzard style CGI with it. Now it looks kinda cheap to see human actors in cartoony looking armor and with cartoony orcs.

Could still be okay, but I'm not excited.

Also, baby-orc-to-humans from the cancelled Warcraft adventure game?

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The older I get the more cheesy trailers seem.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah ... just the amount of hate I was expecting from gb ;) ... Looks perfectly fine.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this kinda proves that blizzard game cgi doesnt translate to the movies.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Anyone remember this cinematic? Good times. I don't know, high fantasy stuff has not gripped me for a long, long time, but I am totally onboard if they ever decide to do the Arthas story. This just looks boring to me.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blizzards stories have always been generic and cheesy, thats almost the charm of them in a way. This seems to carry that forward.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twinsun said:

Blizzards stories have always been generic and cheesy, thats almost the charm of them in a way. This seems to carry that forward.

I remember starcraft and Warcraft 2 being alright lore and story wise, but I was also a lot younger, but it really does seem they have hammed things up in a more family friendly way since those days.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CG looks phony and the movie itself looks generic fantasy. I hate how the orc dudes look all cartoony and disproportionate but the orc women look like human women with big teeth. With this art style they should have gone full cg, or combined cg with real effects and animatronics.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

CG ranges from good to awful to me.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CreepingDeath0  Online
    @gaff said:

I sometimes wonder if gamers have too lofty expectations of video game movies, judging by some of the responses here.

I personally think it looks fine, if a little bland, considering it is a video game movie. If there is something really bad to be said about this, it's that it really shows how stupid Blizzard's shoulder armour design is. Just, man, look at those pauldrons.

Well that's just ridiculous. Why should I have lower expectations for a movie based on a game than one based on a book, old tv series etc. You're the reason we cant have nice things.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

What a horrible plot: "What if us orcs work together with you humans to defeat a bigger threat?". Warcraft has already done that story a trillion times, and whenever movies does this story, they always rely on the same awful tropes: the Unfortunate Misunderstandings, the obvious internal conflict between the peaceful guy and the warmongerer, and a bunch of generic heroic sacrafices to try to get the two sides to stop fighting.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Kinda looks like the last planet of the apes movie with orcs...I'll watch it.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff said:

Well that's just ridiculous. Why should I have lower expectations for a movie based on a game than one based on a book, old tv series etc. You're the reason we cant have nice things.

Well, have I got a video series for you!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I actually like the way it looks, but nothing about it really...WoW'd me at any point.

Seriously though, this will probably be a perfectly serviceable fantasy movie, but as far as I know, all the cool, batshit, insane Warcraft-ass-Warcraft stuff takes place after the events of the movie which is a shame for a whole bunch of reasons.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Orcs dudes look cool. Orc females not so much.

Humans look like cosplayers in plastic armor.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Tennmuerti

@adequatelyprepared: That cinematic was so incredible the first time I watched it. The last scene still plays out in my head occasionally when I am daydreaming about cool shit.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hobbit pretty much murdered the fantasy genre for at least a decade. This is going to crash and burn.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Looks like a Chronicles of Narnia movie... :/ Not liking it at all, the CGI does not mix well with the live actors. The newest CGI cinematic for the WoW expansions looks way more exiting than this.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember they have at least another six months of post-production to go. This trailer is an excellent way to gauge reactions at the film's current state, so they can focus on the glaring issues.

I expect the self-serious cheese factor to be dialed up tremendously, as Blizzard tends to do. They've gotten away with it thanks to excellent gameplay and story (not plot or dialogue) carrying the cinematic sequences.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like another dumb video game movie. At least they cast Ragnar Lothbrok as the main character and Clancy Brown as Blackhand.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ZolRoyce  Online

I wish it had gone full cgi like Beowulf or something. But it looks alright, I have zero connection to the games at all so there isn't anything to turn me off lore wise. The writing seems generic as shit, wonder how much of that is the studios fault versus Duncan. Moon was a fantastic movie, Source Code was really cool right until the 'second ending' which reeked of studio involvement. So I wouldn't be surprised if this movie was half Duncans work, half the studio screaming "BE MORE LIKE THE HOBBIT!"

I'll give it a watch, maybe have some fun with it, never watch it again.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Off track just a touch but kinda wondering.

Does anyone who isn't like, top-tier level really care about..or even get to experience the story of warcraft?

Like say when they release a new expansion and put plot and etc into the end-game quests..what percentage of the user base is able to beat the final final end-boss, see the final cut-scene or story conclusion or whatever? Is it, like it was many years ago just the top 1% of the 1%..and everyone else gets too it 1 or 2 expansions later when any random group of people who are 20+ levels over the raid can complete it?

This coming from someone who stopped following the story past WC3, cause I can't stand playing with other people. I remember enjoying the plot for what it was but coming away with the distinct above impression for how the game's plot was like..experienced from then on. People don't play WoW for the story, essentially, since only this tine fraction can even see it to completion at any given time.

As if so..does anyone really care about a movie? I man the fan base might eat up anything they put out but..is it really this compelling narrative that makes for a good movie? I'd think so, the cut-scenes/trailers they put out at least have the 'hey cool looking guys/monsters fight each other". You could get generic fantasy out of it..but if that's all we get, then the WoW movie is gonna be..a disappointment.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladededge: This is the pre-WoW story, so it should be stuff you're familiar with. I'm actually betting the majority of WoW players will have not played the originals and unless they really dug back into the lore will be disappointed. This is literally a prequel to WoW and missing everything modern players are familiar with. Hell, even out of all the major lore characters from the original RTS games, they lean the hardest on the ones from Warcraft 3.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

They really should have simply went with a full CGI movie. The orcs look really good but once you have live action actors in the mix it looks off. The movie seems like fan service for those Warcraft fans though so I'm cautiously optimistic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.