How effective is the mobile authenticator?

#1 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

I have not opened a WoW related email or website for a long time now, but somehow someone managed to hack his way into my account last week. I have not played WoW in almost two years now, and I have no intention of getting back into it but the idea of someone getting my shit for free is not appealing to me, so I went through the rather painless process of getting the account back to its old state and change the password, and to prevent this kind of thing from happening again I decided to add the mobile (android) authenticator to my account.

My question is: Will I be problem-free from now on or was this a bad idea?.

#2 Posted by Shirogane (3567 posts) -

Mobile authenticator has been pretty good for me. Just make sure you have the backup code or something incase your phone decides to do something weird.

#3 Posted by Ragnarok512 (161 posts) -

The authenticator works really well, but make absolutely sure you remove it from your account before you uninstall the app. It's a real pain to try and fix it other wise.

#4 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

Yes, I'd certainly recommend it.

#5 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

@Shirogane: @Shirogane: @emergency: Good to know, I did keep those codes safe in case anything happens. Thanks guys.

#6 Posted by Wuddel (2088 posts) -

@Rattle618 said:

I have not opened a WoW related email or website for a long time now, but somehow someone managed to hack his way into my account last week. I have not played WoW in almost two years now, and I have no intention of getting back into it but the idea of someone getting my shit for free is not appealing to me, so I went through the rather painless process of getting the account back to its old state and change the password, and to prevent this kind of thing from happening again I decided to add the mobile (android) authenticator to my account.

My question is: Will I be problem-free from now on or was this a bad idea?.

Wow. Good to know. Happened to me yesterday. I installed the authenticator. This is most discomforting since I bought SC2 digitally and will do the same with Diablo3 I guess.

#7 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

Nothing is perfect, but the Authenticator (and the Mobile Authenticator) are very strong protections. There are still ways to get around it (usually involving Man-in-the-middle stuff), but you should be significantly safer, especially if you don't plan to use it yourself either.

As an added bonus: As all Blizzard titles are now gathered under the same account, the same Authenticator will also protect your Starcraft 2 (+ expansions) and Diablo 3 accounts (if you have/chose to get those).

You should be safe (about as safe as your phone is) - very few people with an Authenticator ever have any issues, though, as mentioned before, make sure to write down the Serial number and Code in the settings pane. Those will be invaluable if you ever have any issues with your phone).

#8 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

@Wuddel: @Mnemoidian: I got an email the other day saying that someone had tried repeatedly to log in to my account with the wrong password but nothing else since, so I take that as a sign of it working.

#9 Posted by Deadmanforking (575 posts) -

I've had it for a while now and its been worth it. Even with the authenticator you can still get hacked, just makes it alot harder to do so.

#10 Posted by Neferon (262 posts) -

It becomes extremely difficult to hack an account if it's using an authenticator. Remain wary of phishing scams though.

#11 Posted by adoggz (2060 posts) -

@Ragnarok512 said:

The authenticator works really well, but make absolutely sure you remove it from your account before you uninstall the app. It's a real pain to try and fix it other wise.

haha yeah it is. OP if your gonna use the authentication make sure your bnet info is accurate to your real life info that makes it less painless if you lose it for whatever reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.