Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

I just quit Wow after 4 years, and my opinion of the game.

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Saying goodbye to guild mates whom I have been friends with for 3 years and spent around 3 - 5 hours a day with hurts. It really does, if you are wondering how people can keep playing WoW for 5 years this is how. Having in game friends to share your victories, I know this makes me seem like the saddest person in the world. (I actually do have real life friends) its just that, it's like quitting a football team you have been in for a long time or the high school graduation day. 

Also World of Warcraft is the greatest game of all time, I can't think of another game I spent 100 days aka 2400 hours and enjoyed every second of it. 

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hatking

Wait.... why did you quit then?
    aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By aaox
    @HatKing: A very good question.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ch13696

Yeah I want to know why you quit. But, I just can't imagine paying $15 a month for something like that. Well, with what you had I would.

nismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nismo

I can agree with that, even though i can't get into to WoW to save my life... I've tried alternatives like EVE but it's not that great when you don't have anyone you personally know flying with you =)

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By cstrang
    @HatKing said:
    " Wait.... why did you quit then? "
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EvilTwin

I'm actually surprised you only managed to spend 100 days playing the game over 4 years.  But I understand how you feel.  Quitting WoW and saying goodbye is pretty tough.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

uve no idea how much i envy you..

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By luce

3-5 hours a day? You seem to manage that hobby better then most so...why exactly did you quit ?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

I hope I never play a single game for that length of time.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Gabriel
    @get2sammyb said:
    " I hope I never play a single game for that length of time. "
    Yeah you need some variety, or shit gets stale.
    Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Reason I quit is because I want to become more than I am now, which means that I have to quit all the "time wasters" and start getting serious. 

And the 3-5 hours a day might be a slightly low estimate, prolly more like 7 hours or something.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By jacksukeru
    @griefersstolemykeyboard: Wait, you played it for 4 years and only put in 2400 hours? that's nowhere close to sad. 
      I played it for 18 months and put in   1 690 hours according to Xfire, a friend of mine played for about 2 years and his profile says that he's played it for   4 203 hours. 
    I didn't really have any "ingame" friends though so when I quit, I never looked back. 

...Ok maybe for the first day or two, but I had made sure that reinstalling it and starting up my account again would be a hassle, to prevent myself from getting sucked back in.
    thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thebatmobile

So it took an army for you to quit playing WoW?

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By nukesniper

I played WoW for 4 years as well. I quit because I hate the game. I hate how endgame forces you to play for those 3-5 hours each day or fall behind in it. The game itself is great, but I stopped because I wanted to play xbox games and enjoy them, rather than play bioshock while dancing naked in Dalaran. I had some damn good times in WoW, but logging in each day to run instances, do dailies, or raid for 9 hours straight is not my idea of fun anymore. 

I think the game is great until about a month after you hit the level cap, then it is just stupid "I'll run this instance every day until it gives me (item name)! GOD DAMMIT!" 

I like WoW, I just hate what it did to me and my opinion of MMOs. Never again.

alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By alsnuts2

I have been on a 2 months on 2 months off cycle.  I can get everything I want out of the game, get bored, and quit in 2 month shots.  Keeps me from getting addicted and wasting time /dancing in the starting zones.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @griefersstolemykeyboard:  Welcome to the real world. Here you can have meaningful victories. Enjoy.
    JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JokerClown88

Another person comming out of the bedroom/study and seeing that there is more to life then WoW.  Grats.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I raided with the same guild in Burning Crusade for a year and a half, and we were all really great friends, (some of the dudes that raided went out and had beers with each other since they lived close) and it was so sad to see the guild breakup because of the greedy and stupid guild leader.  I still keep in contact with everyone from the guild even after another year and 4 months has passed since it broke up.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By solidlife

It wasn't that hard for me as all my Online friends Quit aswell as we all went back to University but Ill be back for the expansion 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @griefersstolemykeyboard said:
    "

Saying goodbye to guild mates whom I have been friends with for 3 years and spent around 3 - 5 hours a day with hurts. It really does, if you are wondering how people can keep playing WoW for 5 years this is how. Having in game friends to share your victories, I know this makes me seem like the saddest person in the world. (I actually do have real life friends) its just that, it's like quitting a football team you have been in for a long time or the high school graduation day. 

Also World of Warcraft is the greatest game of all time, I can't think of another game I spent 100 days aka 2400 hours and enjoyed every second of it. 

"
    Been there. I quit after 2 and a half incredibly awesome years.
    No game comes close, or will ever come close to the hours I put into that beast - and I doubt any game will ever give me the highs and lows that it gave.
    Fond memories, but I'm glad it's over.
    Ultratron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ultratron

I've played WoW since November 23,04 and still love the game. I can understand people wanting to quit but I have no reason to do the same. I don't play it as much as I used to because it has to take a backseat to real life. The trick for me was to retire from raiding and just play casually. I have tried to play other games but I find them tedious and I keep wanting to play WoW.

My only sorrow from WoW is that everyone I played with at launch are long gone. I have very fond memories of the early days and I miss the old gang very much. A lot of the old Gamespotters and I played on Ner'zhul :) 

I'll keep playing WoW until Blizz finally pulls the plug on the servers.

Good luck in whatever you do.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince
    "

Reason I quit is because I want to become more than I am now, which means that I have to quit all the "time wasters" and start getting serious. 

And the 3-5 hours a day might be a slightly low estimate, prolly more like 7 hours or something.

"
    That is a lot. Hope your new life style works out.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By spaceturtle
    "

"

Serious is good my friend! WoW might be compelling to some, you for instance. But even though because of the nice "community" that that is WoW I still cant seem too grasp what the fun in the game is supposed to be... In other words, gameplay doesn't seem all that much entertaining.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By lazyturtle
    "

"
    If you were having fun playing wow, don't let anyone tell you it was a waste of time. My wife constantly complained when I played wow about how much time I wasted on it...funny thing is the moment I was off the computer she was on Facebook. For hours. How is that less of a time waster? But change is good and wow does take a lot of time.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By animateria

Agreed.

WoW is the gold standard on  how I judge other MMOs I might play.  And it's an amazing experience once you get into a fun and interesting guild.

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cjmabry

I've played through a couple of trials, but have always been a little hesitant to start playing because I just know I'll get addicted. Maybe some day. 

But the fact that you played for four years and think it is the greatest game ever is very intriguing. Hmmm...

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Burns098356GX

Nobody quits WoW. You either die, or your just taking a break.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Burns098356GX said:
    " Nobody quits WoW. You either die, or your just taking a break. "
    yeah thats what i was gonna say.

at some point cataclysm will draw me back even though i hate to admit it.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Go outside.  It's pretty jazzy.

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cjmabry
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " Go outside.  It's pretty jazzy. "
    Graphics are okay, but gameplay is terrible. I'll stick to the games. kthanksbai! 

haha
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Belonpopo
    @HatKing: Are you really the King of hats?
    mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mshaw006
    @lazyturtle said:
    " @griefersstolemykeyboard said:
    "

"
    If you were having fun playing wow, don't let anyone tell you it was a waste of time. My wife constantly complained when I played wow about how much time I wasted on it...funny thing is the moment I was off the computer she was on Facebook. For hours. How is that less of a time waster? But change is good and wow does take a lot of time. "
    Exactly. You really can connect with people online. After all, you're participating in a common interest.
    DivineDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DivineDark

I've just left, myself. Been playing since beta and have an off and on cycle of quitting and returning. I'm sure I'll be back for Cataclysm, but that's a few months away. Of course, I started playing EvE... Out of the pan, into the fire.... 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.