Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

I think my account got hacked

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CenturionCajun

So, I haven't played World of Warcraft in months and was riding out my last bit of subscription time which expires at the end of the month. However, in the past week or so I've been getting strange e-mails from what appears to be Blizzard tech support asking if I really want to change my password and eventually that my account was being locked for a day. I finally got around to trying to access my account to see what was up and it is now demanding an authenticator number. I have never owned an authenticator.

My account has long since been canceled but I tried to call Blizzard customer service with little success. After almost an hour on hold I gave up. It seems pretty obvious that someone has stolen my account and attached an authenticator to it. I was able to change the password however I still can't access the game without that authenticator.

Basically, I'm curious if this is becoming some kind of new hacker thing and/or whoever has my account might be able to get anything out of it since it'll be expired in a couple of weeks. I thought Authenticators were supposed to prevent things like this but it's being used against me. Ironic.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By gosukiller

I have had a shitload of fake emails, always from Blizzard email, but when I check the hyperlinks they are usualy 1 or 2 legitimite and then always a few fakes in there, like www.wow-account-management.com and stuff like that. Havent played WoW in more than a year.

They are usually like "Your account is under investigation, go here to log in to make sure your account is valid". And then the hyperlink is a fake page, identical to blizzard login.

The easiest way you can distinguish that it's fake is the beginning of the email "Dear customer" or "Greetings customer" are fakes.  Blizzard adresses you by your name.

Try to contact Blizzard through this to verify your account. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that sucks

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60
    @gosukiller said:
    " I have had a shitload of fake emails, always from Blizzard email, but when I check the hyperlinks they are usualy 1 or 2 legitimite and then always a few fakes in there, like www.wow-account-management.com and stuff like that. Havent played WoW in more than a year. "
    Me too. I get about 20 a day at least.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

What?  Contact Blizzard with the serial number from your original WoW box and you should get your account back.   

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60

Oh and by the way, you can get a form to fill out with your name and stuff on the WoW site. And a photocopy of a photo ID. And send it to blizzard either by email or fax, and they will get your account back pretty quickly.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CenturionCajun

Eh, I'm not too concerned about getting the account back as this is the final straw in me giving up WoW entirely. I'm more concerned about someone stealing my credit card information although it shouldn't be a factor since the subscription had been canceled. I'm more shocked at just how bad the account security issues seems to have gotten in the four months or so its been since I regularly played.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By gosukiller
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " So, I haven't played World of Warcraft in months and was riding out my last bit of subscription time which expires at the end of the month. However, in the past week or so I've been getting strange e-mails from what appears to be Blizzard tech support asking if I really want to change my password and eventually that my account was being locked for a day. I finally got around to trying to access my account to see what was up and it is now demanding an authenticator number. I have never owned an authenticator.  My account has long since been canceled but I tried to call Blizzard customer service with little success. After almost an hour on hold I gave up. It seems pretty obvious that someone has stolen my account and attached an authenticator to it. I was able to change the password however I still can't access the game without that authenticator.  Basically, I'm curious if this is becoming some kind of new hacker thing and/or whoever has my account might be able to get anything out of it since it'll be expired in a couple of weeks. I thought Authenticators were supposed to prevent things like this but it's being used against me. Ironic. "
    Just for curiousity sake, you said you got around to checking your account. Did you do this through one of the emails or through you manually typing the URL?
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CenturionCajun

I went to the World of Warcraft website. I'm savy enough to know that all those e-mails seemed incredibly fishy. Especially since I hadn't requested a thing or even booted up WoW in months.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Metroid545

dude that happens all the time I can't count how many times I've been hacked, Its been awhile but there are these cheap $10 key chains that change your pass every minute and u click a button on it to see what it currently is, your being hacked days will vanish

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By Forcen
    Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Strange timing.  
    I had my account hacked recently as well. When i tried to reset my password, they never sent the email. 
    I tried again with no success. I contacted the customer support and all they sent me was an email to fill out a survey.  
    I tried contacting billing both through email and over the phone with no success either. 

I just reported my CC stolen to at least stop the monthly fees.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.