Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

I want to get into WOW, any tips for me.

tatpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tatpastor

I am looking to start playing WOW.  I have a few questions though, 1.  Is it worth getting into it now?  2.  Is it worth the monthly fees?  3.  I have never played a MMO like this before, will it be hard for me to learn and adjust to this type of a game?  Also please if you have any tips for someone just starting out please let me know, anything will help thanks.  I am trying the 10 day trial and i really like it a lot I just am not sure if I should dish out the money yet.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By TwoLines

It can be pretty addicting, so I'm not saying you should, but it's worth the money. If you like MMORPGS that is.
    Go there, get that, bring it back, kill 10 of these, chat with this guy here, go to the cave, kill the boss, etc. etc.

But it's the best of the genre.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

1. I don't see why not.
    2. That's up to you and your gaming habits. If you're primarily a console gamer that buys new console games, 4 months of WoW is one full-priced game.
    3. Absolutely not, Blizzard has gone out of their way in the last year or so to make the game very appealing to both new and casual players.

Find some friends or a nice guild willing to help out that you can ask newbie questions to, it'll be a lot more fun that way.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CL60
    @ajamafalous said:
    " 1. I don't see why not. 2. That's up to you and your gaming habits. If you're primarily a console gamer that buys new console games, 4 months of WoW is one full-priced game. 3. Absolutely not, Blizzard has gone out of their way in the last year or so to make the game very appealing to both new and casual players.  Find some friends or a nice guild willing to help out that you can ask newbie questions to, it'll be a lot more fun that way. "
    Basically, what he said.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By DoctorWelch

Here is a tip, get into WoW lol, but seriously 1. A little while ago I would have said no, but I just got back into it and I think it is definitely worth it now. You can experience all of the old stuff before the new stuff comes out and its still a great game. Yes, some of the early game stuff has been trivialized, and your not going to see nearly as much, if any of the end game stuff, from the original game, burning crusade, or maybe lich kind, but there is still so much to do. Also, the leveling has gotten way way easier for noobs. They have basically taken the QuestHelper MOD and integrated it into the game so it will be really easy for you to get started. 2. It is definately worth the fees if your going to play it because, if you actually play it, your not going to have much time to play any other games lol. Also, the game just has soooo much stuff in it and sooooo many different ways to play it that it is definitely worth the money. 3. WoW is very very friendly to noobs, there are a lot of nice people that will quest and explain things too you, not to mention learning about everything WoW has to offer is in itself a great experience. Look on the other WoW forums about the guild and join that server and I'll play with you lol.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jeffsekai

1. Read the other topics already made. 
    2.Stop playing after you reach max lvl for a year.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Yep, go for it.

You might come across some people who expect you to know how everything works, but just tell them you're new and if they have any tips or pointers.
    I had to explain to a guy who was tanking how sunder and stuff works last night, but he asked me for advice so I took him through the basics and now he's doing way better.

Don't be afraid to learn new stuff, don't feel bad if things go wrong and most of all try to enjoy the game!
    Beautiful places, cool quests, magical creatures and the adventure of a lifetime.

Go!

tatpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tatpastor
    @DoctorWelch:  Thanks man that is super helpful.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Burns098356GX

It is what you make of it. If you just want a casual game to play with friends, you can do that. If you want to be into is hardcore, you can do that.

I played for 4 years, quit a few months ago. IMO, play as a Paladin. Probably the most diverse class in the game right now.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

Also, don't listen to people that say "LOL DONT PLAY IT CAUSE ITS ADDICTING," because these people are idiots. The game itself isn't addicting, it's simply people that let themselves get addicted to it. It's no more addicting than any other video game.

tatpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tatpastor
    @ajamafalous:   that is what everyone I talk to keep saying and I have never been "addicted" to a game so I am not to worried about that.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Crono

The game still has a TON of active users AND it has become (dreadfully) noob friendly so you should have absolutely no problems at all getting into the game and learning the ropes.  If you enjoy what you have seen in the 10-day trial then you should commit to the monthly fee.  As you play, learn more, and gain more friends and loot you will be able to do a lot more.  The game definitely has a lot of variety for newcomer and even at the end-game (max level) there is still plenty to do from raids, to collecting items (like mounts, if you're a completionist, you will need to raise your "factions" in order to gain access to many rare/uncommon items) also there is PvP which, while intimidating at first, is a lot of fun if you are into killing other players :)   (I am totally into that :) 

If you get into WoW you will have no shortage of things to do.  Monthly fees are a lame concept at first (and even after you get 'used' to them you still might question why you're paying for a game on a monthly basis) but most understand why there is a monthly fee.  I try to reason it, personally, as this:  If I pay $X.XX a month and stick to this one game then I will actually save more money then if I were to play multiple games.  Ok, I am really just rambling now - sorry about that.  Hope that my actual response was somewhat helpful.

Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Juvarial

Best advice ever.  
    Dont.  
    Its better to not start.  
    Its like how your not addicted to crack now because you never tried it. 

On a more serious note. The reason why I'm saying this is there is a certain point you get in WoW where you are pretty much required to play daily to experience core content to the fullest. It becomes a very carrot on the stick rat race. As a gamer you want to win. WoW gives the illusion that you will win and "Beat the game" / "Beat the final boss". You never do. Ever. 

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By xplodedd

yes. dont get into it.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TotalEklypse

did anyone suggest setting themselves on fire and sliding down a slip and slide full of gasoline? just saying.. better use of time than grinding for a armor set.. then 2 weeks later the armor is outdated... so spend more months grinding for  that while dealing with high level guild bullcrap and drama. other than that its decent in terms of mmo games. the pvp kinda went to crap 10 fold though and somehow in itself turned into a grind. i guess whatever keeps u paying every month lol. 

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shirogane

If you're gonna do it, do it now so that you'll be able to see all the stuff currently in the game before the whole world gets messed up by cataclysm.
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Yes it is still a great game at least give it a 10 day trail blizz practically throws them at you every ware you go, as far as tips go don't make a character that can only deal damage unless you like waiting around a long time to start late game stuff

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Marz

do the trial, play all the classes to see if you like the playstyle, then either buy the game or not.   Pretty simple.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By ryoma122
    @tatpastor: 
    ok play with friends not realy a game you want to play by your self dont get me wrong going solo some times is good but over 
    all dont go it alone but generaly i would say yes go for it
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dizzyhippos

If you do play it find out if you want to be a healer or tank and everyone will want to be your friend 

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dillonwerner

You play it and its fun, but once you stop your like shit, I wasted 2 years of my life.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Metroid545

Sure its up to you, there are alot of apps you can get that really help when playing, I forgot em because its been so long

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dizzyhippos
    @Metroid545 said:
    " Sure its up to you, there are alot of apps you can get that really help when playing, I forgot em because its been so long "
    Unless your straight DPS those apps metroid mentioned are pretty much a necessity late game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks unless you already have friends playing.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By asurastrike

WoW is great until you hit the level cap and realize there is absolutely nothing to do besides grinding instances for better gear so you can grind harder instances for better gear.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Juvarial said:
    " Best advice ever.  
    Dont.  
    Its better to not start.  
    Its like how your not addicted to crack now because you never tried it.  On a more serious note. The reason why I'm saying this is there is a certain point you get in WoW where you are pretty much required to play daily to experience core content to the fullest. It becomes a very carrot on the stick rat race. As a gamer you want to win. WoW gives the illusion that you will win and "Beat the game" / "Beat the final boss". You never do. Ever.  "
    But at some point, you get to kill that Lich King dude and then it all ends, right? 
    After that we're done, there's nothing else to do.. RIGHT!? 
    'looks at the expansion coming out soon' 

Damnit!! 
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By fox01313

Advice from someone getting back in WoW before the next expansion **(if haven't already decided one way or another). decide first on the server type (where everyone is against the environment in PVE or player versus player chaos in PVP) both can be fun but if you're trying to see the game world then PVE might be a bit easier without dying a lot more as you're figuring out the game.  

Take each class and or race & try them out to about level 10-20. At least when I was playing this was where just about everyone started to get decent abilities & trade skills to see what you wanted to start putting more time into.  While all classes races are rather balanced out to some degree, there might be some that just might be less fun for you to play for extended periods of time. Easier classes I found were rogue & warlock as they were just all about damage & between the areas of specialization they tended to not vary as much as other classes (ie. some classes like the paladin or shaman might be more torn between supporting other people or being in the front lines). When I was playing there would be a ton of rants from a friend of mine (playing one of the paladin specializations) about more demand for one of the other specializations for going into instances/quests. 

Pick one of the characters you play on each faction (you played from level 10-20) and use them for a bank character. The banks your character gets in wow are rather small after a while especially when you want to keep some more interesting items you've outgrown as well as some of the trade skills so having another character (with all their bags/bank of inventory) is quite helpful. This character is also good if kept in the main cities so that way they can just run between the bank, auction houses, shops & mailbox to send whatever your main character might need (or dealing with things they might not need by selling it to other players in the auction house, trading it to other players or putting in a bank for later use with another character). Also helpful at times to turn off the main chat in the city too as it can get annoying sometimes depending on the faction/server/time of day 

Most importantly go to the better well known sites for add-ons once you get used to the controls in the game to see what free add-ons might be useful. I've not played in a while so there might have been some improvements in the game though when I was playing I found that the add-ons for the auction house, maps, showing vendor prices with items you pick up, trade skills, customizing the user interface (UI) & spamming gold seller idiots (in chat) were the better add-ons to get. Some add-ons are more specific for certain classes (like an auto loot pickpocket for rogues) which are good to have around without breaking the game too much. Most of the add-ons out there aren't that necessary to play Wow but they help out some with areas where you want a little more information or a little helpful on the smaller tasks in the game. 

Bookmark sites like wowwiki, alakazam , thottbot or others & keep them up in the background while playing (if possible). Some quests or areas might be a bit confusing & helps to just look it up here than bother with the chat which might or might not be helpful at figuring out where to go without spoiling the game too much.

Hope this helps & will know more when I get in to see the recent changes. Good luck. 

**Note I stopped playing about a year ago to deal more with school & play a ton of games I missed, going back in for a few months before & after the expansion to see what's there then I'll figure if it's something I want to keep going on with it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.