Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Need Help Picking a Class

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

A friend of mine is having a birthday in a day or two, and since I'm flat broke I decided to give him the gift of me trying to play wow with him again. We have tried several times before, but the problems I always ran into is that the quests were so mind numbingly boring that I just couldn't keep playing the game for very long. Something that is supposed to be fixed with the new expansion that's coming out.

So this is where I need help. The other major problem I had with the game was that I hate the combat. I always play the character in games that can sit back and fire off some powers from time to time and not have to be right on top of his keyboard firing off fifty hotkeys a second and keeping track of several dozen different timers and recharges all at the same time. Which, from my experience, is what the game seems to always boil down to past level 15-20.

I was thinking of playing a priest and spec for healing. From what I played of it before it seems to mostly just be cycling through a handful of powers over and over while re-buffing the team from time to time. I figured I would ask the Giant Bomb brain trust and see what you guys suggest for me.

My experience with the classes in the past have been with a Hunter to the low 40's, another one to the low 30's, a warrior to the mid 20's, a warlock to the mid 20's and a priest to level 10 or so. I enjoyed hunter, but by the mid 40's I was tired of playing him for some reason. Every time I try to play the game I always end up playing a hunter and it never works out, I'm a pet whore, so I figured I would try to ban myself from using one this time.

So ya, any and all help will be appreciated. If not, then I guess I will go with the old close my eyes and pick something at random routine.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hunkulese
    @crusader8463: Try a class that can play multiple rolls. Shamans, Paladins and Druids all have 3 viable rolls they can play. Switching between specs may help lower your boredom.
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By hexx462
    @crusader8463 said:
    " I always play the character in games that can sit back and fire off some powers from time to time and not have to be right on top of his keyboard firing off fifty hotkeys a second and keeping track of several dozen different timers and recharges all at the same time. Which, from my experience, is what the game seems to always boil down to past level 15-20.   I was thinking of playing a priest and spec for healing."
    Sounds like you'd enjoy a Priest or a Shaman. Both classes have a good ranged DPS spec that isn't too hotkey intensive and along with healing spec. If you enjoy healing a lot you can level through instances with the LFD tool.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By melcene

My preferred playstyle is pretty similar to yours.  I'll admit, there's no way I can play a warrior, and my rogue has never made it past 20.  My dk, amazingly has been doing well so far, but she's more flashy than your normal melee class.   As you probably already know all of these classes have that stand back and cast/shoot mode: 

Warlock 
    Priest 
    Pally (holy) 
    Mage 
    Hunter 
    Shaman (resto or elemental)  
    Druid (resto or balance)

Since you've already tried the hunter, priest, and warlock, you might want to try any of the others. 

With a warlock, it seemed to me when I tried the spec that affliction was very much whack-a-mole with your hotkeys, so you might want to avoid that spec.
    I like healing, and so my priest, holy pally, and resto shammy have been fun for me.  
    Mages of course are glass cannons.  They can do great damage, as long as they don't get hit. 
    I understand your issue with hunters.  I was having the same issue with mine for years, actually.  I finally dusted her off recently and have been flying through the levels.  I've found the right pet for me, and I seem to do decent damage, so I've been having fun.  

Ultimately though, the choice is yours.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By plop1920

If you like ranged magic damage and the occasional healing, try shaman. You said you don't like looking at timers and stuff, and shadow priest always need to look at the durations of their dots. Ele shaman can just flame shock/ lava burst and spam lightning bolt. Also, leveling with a friend, your dots won't have time to do any dmg at all to the mob so I'd go with a direct damage class

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By KaosAngel

Go Rogue, griefing users is the best thing anyone can do in WoW...and it's hilarious. 

Corpse Camping is the greatest thing you can do to someone.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By lazyturtle

Go with the Shaman and spec elemental. The casting rotation is pretty simple..maybe 2-4 spells. You can heal if needed. A enhancement spec is a little more fun IMO, but its a melee fighter and healing is more limited. 

Lordborg909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lordborg909
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Go Rogue, griefing users is the best thing anyone can do in WoW...and it's hilarious.  Corpse Camping is the greatest thing you can do to someone. "
    Totally this... I leveled my rogue to 80, then deleted him cause I was spending waaaaay too much time on playing wow... RIP Jerrdoch, sadly missed. I also loved using my moonkin drood, balance is so OP (Or was 2 yrs ago) and hella fun to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.