Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

New Giant Bomb WoW content! WoW Raid-trospective: A Scoop of Vanilla (Apr 30th, 2:00 PM)

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By moregrammarplz

I was excited to see a piece of upcoming WoW content listed on the main page, though I'm wondering what it could be. Based on the name, it's a look back at vanilla WoW and its raids (probably spurred by the recent Nostalrius drama), but I'm wondering who's headlining it. Matt Rorie will probably be there, and Jeff and Brad played during vanilla, but I don't think either of them raided. Maybe it could be some out-of-left-field thing done by the east coast team? I think Vinny, Alex, and Austin all played during the early days. I'm also interested to see how they approach the content. Are they going to commentate over old footage of 40-man raids, or simply send Rorie or someone similarly up-to-date in to solo them while the rest of the crew talks about the old days? Could they possibly be fielding some kind of group effort? I have a lot of questions. I'm excited to see what this could be.

EDIT: Just noticed it's running on a Saturday afternoon, so I'm guessing it's going to be a single crew member streaming from home. Slightly less exciting but I'm still going to tune in. :]

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

That sounds cool! I've been getting back into the game in preparation for Legion. I started during Mists so I don't have any experience with the classic raids.

batalskar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I too am very excited for this. I believe it is a fevered dream to think they could have most of the senior GB team involved in an old world raid. I remember when Brad roped everyone in the office into sitting down and playing DoTA, that was one of the best pieces of content ever on the site. If not WoW, I do hope that there is a game one day that the entire staff could potentially login and play together, to our enjoyment of course.

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By moregrammarplz
    @batalskar said:

I too am very excited for this. I believe it is a fevered dream to think they could have most of the senior GB team involved in an old world raid. I remember when Brad roped everyone in the office into sitting down and playing DoTA, that was one of the best pieces of content ever on the site. If not WoW, I do hope that there is a game one day that the entire staff could potentially login and play together, to our enjoyment of course.

I feel like it'd be super cool if they could get a group of the Bomb crew to run some WoW content, but a lot of them haven't played in a long while, and it takes a lot of time investment to get anywhere. Even if all they wanted to do was run Deadmines together, that's a time investment of several hours to level new characters, and I'm positive that they would rather spend that time playing other games. But it's a pretty rad idea.

I'm reminded of this old video series called Project Lore that was basically just a group of friends doing dungeons and raids together. I think the most notable member was Alex Albrecht who co-hosted The Screen Savers on G4/Tech TV.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@moregrammarplz: If they are going to be raiding Vanilla content it would have to be on a private server right? After Cataclysm a lot of those zones or bosses even are much different or non-existent (Zul'Gurub).

If they were to be on a privater server they could just skip all the leveling/grinding.

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By moregrammarplz

@moregrammarplz: If they are going to be raiding Vanilla content it would have to be on a private server right? After Cataclysm a lot of those zones or bosses even are much different or non-existent (Zul'Gurub).

If they were to be on a privater server they could just skip all the leveling/grinding.

Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, and the two Ahn'Qiraj raids are still sitting at level 60 without many changes, besides the addition of new battle pets that can drop off the bosses there. I don't know if Giant Bomb would be daring enough to stream out footage from a private server, but stranger things have happened.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BallsLeon
    eternalshades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This would have to be Rorie... or maybe perhaps Austin?

I'm pretty sure the rest of the crew have mentioned they never even got to level 60 (and never kept up with expansions), so it wouldn't be much of a retrospective coming from those guys.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it is just Vinny, in his basement, starting fresh, with the goal to be able to raid in a few weeks.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing as how Rorie was sick and bowed out of the community endurance run it's probably him making good on that.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, we saw how much Dan loved playing WoW, so it should probably be him leading the raid. But in the harsh reality, it's most likely Rorie. Not to say he can't produce fun content, but it probably won't be too crazy.

I'll probably watch it out of curiosity. Haven't visited Azeroth since February (I think) and had kinda given up on it loooooong before that already, because it finally became boring enough for me, but I did spend around 10 years of my life within Azeroth, so I'll always be interested in some way...

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will most likely be Rorie, since he's the only one that's still (or was) actively playing Warlords of Draenor. I can see Brad hopping back in, since a lot of former WoW players are riding the Legion and Warcraft movie hype train. It also fits in Brad's timetable of his Painted World Dark Souls stream from home.

Most of the vanilla content and raids are still present and offer a challenge if you don't use heirloom gear or level past 60. Leveling a fresh character to 60 is super fast these days, even without heirloom gear, so I could see a small crew of staff reminiscing about the old days :)

twi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By twi

@batalskar: do you have a link to that video of the crew playing dota? I couldn't find it and it sounds awesome!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I do hope one man streams from home don't become a thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: It has already been a thing. Jeff has streamed random stuff from his home periodically over the years, Dan streams stuff to Twitch after house, Brad used to do some weekend Dota stuff.

I don't see why it's a bad thing if it doesn't impact the main site flow, and if the guys want to stream them playing games after house, then that's great! More content is good.

Also Vinny can stream from home whatever he wants, whenever he wants, as far as I'm concerned.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@takayamasama: It's Ok for enyclopedia bombastica, but I don't enjoy the format and I don't wish to see it expand to other shows. I didn't say they couldn't do it, I just don't like it.

batalskar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twi: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unprofessional-fridays-04-12-2013/2300-7253/

Near the end of the stream.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#19 chaser324  Moderator
    @bane122 said:

Seeing as how Rorie was sick and bowed out of the community endurance run it's probably him making good on that.

You are correct. This will be Rorie streaming as a belated extension to the community endurance run.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: why not? I like taking a look into how the guys play games by themselves because it's usually gaming by committee on any live stream. Also, fun to see some of the more oddball stuff they play like Austin's Star Wars Mount & Blade.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

They should just hire me to take them through whatever it is they're doing.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reminds me when i last subbed and paid for four months or so without logging in once. Lol.

Kiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So wait, what was this? Is there an archive of it?

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Immunity
    Bunnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another steam tonight should be an interesting as the pre-patch seems to be adding a lot in to the base game before the full expansion hits at the end of August.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.