Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Prestige in MMOs?

autumn_thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By autumn_thunder

Now if you're saying "why is this guy insisting we put more Call of Duty stuff in everything when that's already happening everywhere else" bear with me. I don't play CoD multiplayer at all (not a big FPS fan) but the prestige system in it has always fascinated me. Prestiging in CoD means hitting the level cap then electing to start over at square (or level) one all over again. I think this could solve a number of issues such as:

-not enough players doing mid-level content to form a party; theoretically players would continuously be doing all content

-being forced to make early levelling super super fast to sell expansions that have later-level content; with this new expansion content could be of all levels. This is of particular interest because of the response to Cataclysm in which despite Blizzard creating new low level content by essentially setting the world on fire and replacing all the starting zones, led to a lot of players not sticking around because they were only interested in high level content because that was where their character was at.

-it could also encourage players to play more hours and subscribe longer?

I'm not crazy am I? If there are any game-breaking issues lemme know, 'cause it's seems like an obvious money printing feature and I don't know why they're not implementing it.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MideonNViscera

Cataclysm was cool for me because I got to 60 back in 2005 and quit. When I started again this year the lowbie stuff was actually different. Then I hit 85 in no time, got the best shit, and quit all over again. The game is just way too fucking easy now.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

I don't really know anyone who plays MMOs that only has one character. And, if they do, I don't think prestiging is going to be appealing to them, because I'd assume they're not leveling another character because they don't want to go through the leveling process again, not because they couldn't find another class to play.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@ajamafalous said:

I don't really know anyone who plays MMOs that only has one character. And, if they do, I don't think prestiging is going to be appealing to them, because I'd assume they're not leveling another character because they don't want to go through the leveling process again, not because they couldn't find another class to play.

Hi, I'm BabyChooChoo. Now you know someone who fits that description lol. You hit the nail on the head by the way. There is, more often than not, more than one class the piques my interest, but in most cases I find leveling so mindnumbingly boring that I find the one class I like the most and stick with them forever.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By CatsAkimbo

@BabyChooChoo said:

@ajamafalous said:

Hi, I'm BabyChooChoo. Now you know someone who fits that description lol. You hit the nail on the head by the way. There is, more often than not, more than one class the piques my interest, but in most cases I find leveling so mindnumbingly boring that I find the one class I like the most and stick with them forever.

What if you could choose a new class when you prestige, but you just get a shiney medal next to your name showing you 'stiged?

I think it's a great idea actually. There's usually no way to show how many alts you've maxed out, but this would do it. Alternatively, I think every mmo should be like FFXI, where you have one character that can go back to town and change to a new class at any time.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#8  Edited By audioBusting

Guild Wars 2 tries to do this by having the level scaling and gaining skill points after hitting the level cap, so roaming in lower level areas can still be "productive" and fun. It's not a perfect solution but it works pretty well for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.