Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Priest levelling. Tips?

Clbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

Edited By Clbull

I am currently aiming to level a priest to 80 on WoW, because I wanted to select a class that is capable of healing at the endgame. I am also doing this on a PvP server, because I sometimes enjoy doing PvP, and like the added element of danger. I aim to level through questing, instances and battlegrounds (when 3.2 is released.)

At the moment, my Priest is level 6, and I want some advice on actually levelling one, so I have a few questions:

• Is it just me or do Priests burn a lot of mana at low level? What stats should I focus on at low level to sort out mana issues?
    • What professions are ideal for levelling? I am thinking of how much money they can make and the bonuses you can gain for levelling them (e.g. Master of Anatomy and Toughness.)
    • What is the ideal spec for levelling a Priest? Considering the fact that I aim to heal at 80, and might want to heal instances before then.

Clbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Clbull

I am currently aiming to level a priest to 80 on WoW, because I wanted to select a class that is capable of healing at the endgame. I am also doing this on a PvP server, because I sometimes enjoy doing PvP, and like the added element of danger. I aim to level through questing, instances and battlegrounds (when 3.2 is released.)

At the moment, my Priest is level 6, and I want some advice on actually levelling one, so I have a few questions:

• Is it just me or do Priests burn a lot of mana at low level? What stats should I focus on at low level to sort out mana issues?
    • What professions are ideal for levelling? I am thinking of how much money they can make and the bonuses you can gain for levelling them (e.g. Master of Anatomy and Toughness.)
    • What is the ideal spec for levelling a Priest? Considering the fact that I aim to heal at 80, and might want to heal instances before then.

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Teh_Eel

Check out the priests forum on the WoW website would be a good start and look at the stickies, bound to be links to helpful material.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Fallen189

Level as shadow. Until you get to shadowform, try to get a good wand. Mind flay is your friend. Get spirit tap 5/5 and NEVER go oom.

Just level in shadow up till 70 ish, then maybe swap to healing for 80.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Al%27Akir&n=sombre

Both my specs are the best at what they did when I played. Tailoring is good so you can make your own stuff, but so are 2 gathering proffs.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Godwind

Choose a new class.  Priests are for pussies.

Rumour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rumour

Wands are awesome at low levels.  Also you may consider following a leveling guide on www.wow-pro.com. Some people don't like using them, but leveling is boring and they make it go faster.

Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tarakun

You're gonna want to stack as much int as possible. Int will increase your mana significantly as well as add to your crit chance. Also, spirit should help with your mana regen.

I would recommend leveling as shadow, that way you can get Spirit tap which helps a lot with your mana problems. Also,  check out the Priest forums on WoW's website.

For leveling, I really like to do Skinning and Either Herbalism or Mining. That way your professions are only making you money, and they are a lot easier to level than crafting.

When you're healing at low levels, don't worry about your spec. I play a druid, and I healed as feral all the way up until Outland. I needed a healing set, but as a priest you should do just fine in the gear you have.

Overall, good luck on your priest.

-From an 80 Resto Druid / 77 Mage

Clbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Clbull

Thanks for the advice, everyone. So I assume that from the information I gathered here:

• Intellect should be stacked, as it gives more mana and crit chance.
    • Spirit Tap is a must for mana regeneration/efficiency.
    • A wand is essential.
    Am I correct?
    Clbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Clbull
    @Ginormis: I've heard of WoW Pro, and of Jame's levelling guide, which I attempted to follow before. Personally, I don't like the guides that give you very speficic instructions, but it may be good for some people. Apparently, people have said that his 1 - 80 guides are excellent.

Apparently, his levelling guide has also become an addon, which could be useful (But I'm not entirely sure about that one.)
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JJOR64
    @Godwind said:
    " Choose a new class.  Priests are for pussies. "
    Lawlz.  :-P

@Teh_Eel said:
    " Check out the priests forum on the WoW website would be a good start and look at the stickies, bound to be links to helpful material. "
    Teh_Eel is right.  Go to the WoW forums and ask for help there.  You will probably get more info.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Vinchenzo

Priests are my favorite class. We are always required! These days I'm sure you could do almost anything and reach level 80 with ease. Of course I'd recommend going shadow and playing it smart. Also, become used to dieing a lot. At least that's what I had to do back when I still played. Also, when I played, I always picked tailoring and whatever another stand-alone one was.

Mootalstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Mootalstrike

I had a 70 Priest in TBC and they are probably the hardest class to level, just stick with it and do a lot of quests.

Avatar image for hamburger_technology
    Hamburger_Technology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nooooooooooooooooo. Don't level as shadow until around the 50s. It's highly mana inefficient. You should put points into spirit tap in shadow and that's it. The rest you should should put into holy/disc based around buffing smite/holy fire. For this you to also the the glyph of smite. Aim for something like this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bxcbhZ0gthbbVbZG:u

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187
    @Godwind said:
    Never played WoW, eh?  Holy/Disc fucking rapes in PvP!!!  Pain Suppression is a bitch, guaranteed.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Godwind
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Godwind said:
    Never played WoW, eh?  Holy/Disc fucking rapes in PvP!!!  Pain Suppression is a bitch, guaranteed.
    "

Played WoW, priests are pussies.  Not only for what you mentioned but because that is what a priest is, a pussy.  Who the hell dedicates a life style of abstincence (disclaimer: The Alter boys don't count).
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By 71Ranchero

I have an 80 priest that I have been playing for about 5 years. One thing about priests is that becouse you are a healer, your offensive spells will eat your mana like crazy and do little to no damage. Like others have said, level as shadow or you will be in for some pain.

As far as priests being pussys, when im shadow spec I eat EVERYONE alive in duels and do fairly well in pvp(as long as I dont have more then 2 targets on me at once). Shadow has always been the powerhouse underdog in pvp. There is a reason everyone skips the mages and locks to kill a shadow priest first :P

*edit* If you die alot when you are leveling as a priest you are doing it wrong. Priests dont die when questing, even when the odds are against you. 
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Godwind said:
    PRIEST >>>>>>>>>>>
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
    deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To level, spec into shadow and make sure you get spirit tap for efficient levelling. When you hit level 40, get the shadowform talent, as this makes levelling a lot quicker.

You could level tailoring, as you can make your own gear and it is fairly easy to level.

Clbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Clbull
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Godwind said:
    "
    I second that statement.

Not only is Holy/Disc very good for healing in PvP, but in most cases, Holy/Disc priests can be near impossible to kill.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By 71Ranchero

Holy is the worst spec to pvp with, I hope you mean Disc/holy and not the other way around. Disc has been nerfed by alot in pvp aswell. I Duel spec Shadow or Disc(with a splash of holy) depending on what I feel like doing on any day. 

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By irishjohn

My main is a priest, though on a PvE server.  Whatever you do, levelling will feel like wading through treacle in the 20s and 30s, but things take off dramatically once you get Shadowform. 

I don't know about PvP pugs, but I assume if your server has enough lower level guys running around you'll have plenty of chances to heal in groups all the way up.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187
    @Godwind said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " @Godwind said:
    "
    Played WoW, priests are pussies.  Not only for what you mentioned but because that is what a priest is, a pussy.  Who the hell dedicates a life style of abstincence (disclaimer: The Alter boys don't count). "
    If by "pussies" you mean "ah, don't hit me, mindflay mindflay mini-fear pain suppress/bubble heal heal heal heal heal"...then yeah, fucking poon-jabbies.  If you mean "pussies" in any other way...then you are wrong, good sir.

Warlocks are the ultimate pussies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.