Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Relatively New To WoW, Need Advice.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By breadfan

Last year I bought the World of Warcraft Battle Chest and managed to get a character to level 45.  That being my first Warcraft character, I hardly knew what I was doing and I just ran from area to area basically sightseeing, looking for anything to do.  Eventually all of that aimless exploring led me to have a huge mass of quests, mostly low level beginner quests, and no reason to complete them. And ultimately ended my experience with World of Warcraft.

I know that dungeons are one of the easier ways to level up, but are there any areas for someone in my level range to level? I began a new character with my renewal and I've been leveling very quickly thanks to the new Cataclysm quests, but I literally have nothing to do on my old dude. 

So is there any specific location people can point me in for decent questing, or should I just dungeon run until my mind rots?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

Horde or alliance? 

Edit: here, check out this list. It's an older list, but should still more-or-less apply.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Here is a list of all the zones and their respective level ranges:  
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Zones_by_level     

Any of the following zones would be beneficial to you: Thousand Needles (probably spcifically Shimmering Flats), Badlands, Felwood, and  Tanaris. Although be aware that Cataclysm has changed the old world since I last played so there is only so much I can do to help. 
    Hope everything works out for you.
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By FateOfNever

How about a map that shows you what zones are what levels - Like this

Red is horde only, blue is alliance only, white is for either faction. 

Edit:  For really quick reference - at level 45 you would want either Felwood, Tanaris, or Badlands, probably.

FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

As of the latest patch you should find Hero's Call bulletin boards in the capitol cities that will give you quests directing you to zones appropriate for your level.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By breadfan

Thanks for the help, duders. 

No Caption Provided
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sjupp

I know this might sound weird, but you should totally wait until cataclysm is out, which is like in a couple of days. Unless they've rolled out all the expansion-related stuff now. Which they probably have, come to think of it. Just keep your gaming cool, I'm on the verge of starting again and MAN do you get stuck in that game.. gl hb

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By melcene

Definitely mix up your questing with dungeon runs, though.  I understand you don't want to get burnt out instancing, but you don't want to burn out on questing either.  Plus you want to be upgrading your gear along the way :) 

Remember at 58 to head out to Outlands.

JadeDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By JadeDog
    @gakon5 said:
    " @Sjupp said:
    " I know this might sound weird, but you should totally wait until cataclysm is out, which is like in a couple of days. Unless they've rolled out all the expansion-related stuff now. Which they probably have, come to think of it. Just keep your gaming cool, I'm on the verge of starting again and MAN do you get stuck in that game.. gl hb "
    All the world changes are in.  What's missing (and what you'll get when you install the game) is the higher level cap, the high-level zones, Archeology, the guild progression systems, and some other stuff.  Unless you want to level a Worgen or Goblin through the new content, you don't need to wait. "

If everything is already there is 1-60 it seems very pathetic. It Burning and Wraith we got lots of new areas to explore.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By melcene
    @JadeDog said:
    " @gakon5 said:
    " @Sjupp said:
    " I know this might sound weird, but you should totally wait until cataclysm is out, which is like in a couple of days. Unless they've rolled out all the expansion-related stuff now. Which they probably have, come to think of it. Just keep your gaming cool, I'm on the verge of starting again and MAN do you get stuck in that game.. gl hb "
    All the world changes are in.  What's missing (and what you'll get when you install the game) is the higher level cap, the high-level zones, Archeology, the guild progression systems, and some other stuff.  Unless you want to level a Worgen or Goblin through the new content, you don't need to wait. "
    If everything is already there is 1-60 it seems very pathetic. It Burning and Wraith we got lots of new areas to explore. "
    Not everything is already there.  The changes to the old world are already there.  None of the new areas are actually in yet though.
    JadeDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JadeDog
    @melcene said:
    " @JadeDog said:
    " @gakon5 said:
    " @Sjupp said:
    If everything is already there is 1-60 it seems very pathetic. It Burning and Wraith we got lots of new areas to explore. "
    Not everything is already there.  The changes to the old world are already there.  None of the new areas are actually in yet though. "

Something seems fishy. All the old world changes they have talked up about being so great everyone gets for free (and don't look that impressive at all to me) and you pay for the 2 new starting areas and areas to lvl from 80-85. I think they have pulled have their resources and are working on wow 2.0.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By melcene
    @JadeDog said:
    " @melcene said:
    " @JadeDog said:
    " @gakon5 said:
    " @Sjupp said:
    Not everything is already there.  The changes to the old world are already there.  None of the new areas are actually in yet though. "
    Something seems fishy. All the old world changes they have talked up about being so great everyone gets for free (and don't look that impressive at all to me) and you pay for the 2 new starting areas and areas to lvl from 80-85. I think they have pulled have their resources and are working on wow 2.0. "
    Have you played the new changes?  The changes are pretty damn massive.  I'm actually kinda surprised they got this done in the same amount of time as their previous expansions.  They basically overhauled the original game, plus added new game.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Rockdalf
    @melcene said:
    " @JadeDog said:
    " @melcene said:
    " @JadeDog said:
    " @gakon5 said:
    " @Sjupp said:
    Something seems fishy. All the old world changes they have talked up about being so great everyone gets for free (and don't look that impressive at all to me) and you pay for the 2 new starting areas and areas to lvl from 80-85. I think they have pulled have their resources and are working on wow 2.0. "
    Have you played the new changes?  The changes are pretty damn massive.  I'm actually kinda surprised they got this done in the same amount of time as their previous expansions.  They basically overhauled the original game, plus added new game. "
    And two new characters, this seems to be a much more impressive expansion than last.  Also, how can you revamp old areas and take them away from people who haven't gotten the expansion without pissing off the fanbase.  Answer: You can't.
    JadeDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JadeDog
    @melcene said:
    " @JadeDog said:
    " @melcene said:
    " @JadeDog said:
    " @gakon5 said:
    " @Sjupp said:
    Have you played the new changes?  The changes are pretty damn massive.  I'm actually kinda surprised they got this done in the same amount of time as their previous expansions.  They basically overhauled the original game, plus added new game. "

Really? That's good to hear. I've just rode around the Stormwind and deadmines area, and some of the Barrens and didn't see anything major. Maybe I need to look again. I know outside Stormwind nothing big has changed. The ride to deadmines it a little different but so what? A big hole with some tornadoes flying around. That does not compare to Northrend. Maybe I am just pre-judging. I love wow and have high hopes for it.
    JadeDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JadeDog
    @JadeDog:
    "Also, how can you revamp old areas and take them away from people who haven't gotten the expansion without pissing off the fanbase.  Answer: You can't. " 

Exactly. So what is the financial motivation in putting a lot of work in something that you can't sell?   

"And two new characters, this seems to be a much more impressive expansion than last.  "  

Burning had two new characters and a new continent. Does cat get a new continent? All I have heard about is a couple zones for 80-85 leveling. 

I hope I am missing something.
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mikeeegeee
    BRG9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BRG9000
    @JadeDog said:

Burning had two new characters and a new continent. Does cat get a new continent? All I have heard about is a couple zones for 80-85 leveling.  I hope I am missing something. "

There are 6 new 80-85 leveling zones and two (I think?) PVP-focused open areas, adding to more new zones than Outland had. I won't count the new race starting areas because Burning Crusade had those in addition to outland, but if you add in the revamped 1-60 zones many of which were redone completely with thousands of new quests throughout them, you have much more content than BC had.
    Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Gilsham
     @JadeDog said:
    " @JadeDog: "Also, how can you revamp old areas and take them away from people who haven't gotten the expansion without pissing off the fanbase.  Answer: You can't. "  Exactly. So what is the financial motivation in putting a lot of work in something that you can't sell?    "And two new characters, this seems to be a much more impressive expansion than last.  "   Burning had two new characters and a new continent. Does cat get a new continent? All I have heard about is a couple zones for 80-85 leveling.  I hope I am missing something. "
    yeah you are, the reason they redid all the old world stuff is to get back people who have stopped playing, also go check  Azshara it is a lvl 10-20 horde zone now with the goblin city in also stv has been split in two and the end quest of southern stv is epic (tho they don't seam to have done much with zg =/), wpl has changed quite a lot and is quite a lot better to quest in same with epl, and with how many quests there are per zone you'll need to play maybe 4 char from 1 to 60 to see all the zones now as on my troll druid I missed most of the Kalimdor zones like barrens, 1k neddles,   ashenvale, stonetalon
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By melcene
    @JadeDog: Definitely take a closer look.  Quests have completely changed.  In fact some zones, are for different level ranges now than they used to be.   

New zones or zones that have finally been put in: 

Deepholm 
    Kezan 
    The Lost Isles 
    The Maelstrom 
    Tol Borad 
    New Ahn'Qiraj map (not instance, not part of Silithus) 
    Mount Hyjal 
    The Steam Pools 
    Uldum 
    Gilneas 
    Gilneas City 
    Twilight Highlands 
    Vashj'ir: Abyssal Depths 
    Vashj'ir: Kelp'thar Forest 
    Vashj'ir: Shimmering Expanse 

Looks like this expansion has more new zones to it than Wrath's 12 when listed out like that. 

And back to the original topic since Mike is a topic nazi  :P   I would say stay the hell away from power leveling, especially with all the new quests.  Enjoy the game.  Besides, that guide is way out of date and half those quests probably don't exist anymore. 
    JadeDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JadeDog
    @melcene: thanks. back to the not original topic. 

I hope the new zones are big. I have a little bit more faith after hearing what you guys have said. I have no interest in quest changing (or different lvl mobs than what was orginall there) in vanilla wow. I don't even read the quest. I want new areas and new mechanics. :) Ideally I would like to see diablo action in a wow mmorg world.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By jakob187

As a WoW player for three years or so, the best advice I can give you is this:  quit.  Don't play it.  I look back at the time that I played the game, and I realize it was all a waste.  Gear score is such a load of horseshit, barely anyone gives a shit about skill anymore, Lich King essentially turned that entire game into a "tank 'n' burn" rat race.  Purples have no true value anymore as everyone can get them fairly easy.  Just...just don't do it. 

I could go on a ridiculously long tirade, and I doubt it's going to change your mind on playing the game.  I just figured you should know the negatives while you are going into it. 

Now, with all that said: 

Generally, if you pay attention to what the quests say as well as where they tell you to go, it'll give you an idea of where you need to be.  There's also the color of the quests themselves, which indicates just how much XP something is worth.  Green is usually right at your level if not a little easy for your level.  Yellow is going to be right at your level while still a bit challenging. 

Beyond that, hit up WoWHead and MMO-Champion for a bunch of info.

BRG9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BRG9000

This in-game trailer was released today, check it out for a pretty cool tour of what's added.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Br3adfan:
    Before the Shattering, the quest lines didn't always usher you to the next place you needed to go, but they cleaned that up and streamlined the quest lines more. Not to mention they've added a quest tracking feature into the game proper to help you out. That said, I recommend using an addon, Carbonite to be more specific -> http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info12965-Carbonite.html <- That will give you a google maps-like interface and will track and show where your objectives are. Makes questing so much easier, even with all the changes they've made. Cheers!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

" As a WoW player for three years or so, the best advice I can give you is this:  quit.  Don't play it.  I look back at the time that I played the game, and I realize it was all a waste.  Gear score is such a load of horsesh*t, barely anyone gives a sh*t about skill anymore, Lich King essentially turned that entire game into a "tank 'n' burn" rat race.  Purples have no true value anymore as everyone can get them fairly easy.  Just...just don't do it.  I could go on a ridiculously long tirade, and I doubt it's going to change your mind on playing the game.  I just figured you should know the negatives while you are going into it. "

So stop playing Fallout: New Vegas, or Dead Space. Stop playing every single game you have a chance to play because it doesn't matter. You're not getting anything out of it. Those hours you sunk into Halo: Reach or Battlefield: Bad Company 2 don't mean a single thing to anyone or to your future. 

If you personally think they broke the game and took the fun out of it for you, that's fine, but it's a personal opinion. I'm currently leveling a toon, was having fun before 4.0.3, and after the Shattering and the cleaning up of the quests, I'm having a blast. I don't care if the endgame is broken since I'm not there, and if it is when I hit 85 I'll roll a Horde toon or just stop playing and move onto something else that's fun.

If you think playing a game only matters if you get something to show for it, then you've got the wrong hobby. Very few games out there leave you with knowledge or skill that will help you in the real world. Every hour you spend playing a game is a 'waste' because a game's main value is entertainment, not education or fulfillment. On top of that, faulting such a massive game for making it more fun for other people is downright selfish. You say purples have no value anymore, but they never did. Blizzard just changed it so people who play the game casually to have fun can have more fun. Sadly, the downside of that is that the crazy people who think their 'l33t' toon actually has some sort of value to their life get annoyed, when in reality they just want something to complain about because they have nothing else.

It's a game, it's supposed to be fun - and it is, if you can treat it as it is and not put it on a pedestal as something it's not deserving of. Sorry to call you out, duder, but taking any game too seriously, especially World of Warcraft, leads you down a bad road of bitterness. It's supposed to be meaningless fun, and if the changes to the endgame destroyed the fun for you, you should be able to move on without residual hate for the game, which you use to try and stop someone from having the same fun you had leveling up to the endgame.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hexx462
    @animathias: Well said. 

So glad Blizzard has gone out of their way to make great content for all types of players. I've never found playing WoW as a hardcore raider very fun, I just like to jump in and jump out when I am in the mood to play. So far the shattering has made plain old leveling up a total blast, the game is slowly getting to the point where I feel I could recommend it as a fun stand alone RPG.
    lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By lazyturtle

I'm surprised no one has directed you to wowhead.com....its a really good wow site. Pretty much got everything you need to know about all wow topics. Wowwiki is also nice

My advice is this: use your tooltips. When you look at the map, you'll get a level range for each zone. Pop on over to the ones in your range and see if you like how they look. If you do, find the town and quest away. You might also ask around to see if the zone you'd like to quest in is an area with lots of ganking..for example Stranglethorn can be fun..or not. Depends on how many people from the other faction are on ganking. Whenever possible do the quests that require you to enter dungeons..they're usually worth it.  Don't sweat having the "best" of everything...there's always something better out there, and you level pretty fast so gear gets obsolete quickly.

Take at least one profession that will make you $, like skinning, herbalism or mining. 

Also use the dungeon finder. Join a guild. Get social and you'll find plenty of opportunities to have a wide variety of fun. Personally I really liked the battlegrounds, but thats entirely up to your play style. Don't be afraid to try everything the game has to offer...there aren't any real consequences to failure.

I personally liked some of the addons, but they're not necessary. The auction house addons are nice of giving you some clue how to price things. I used Curse.com for my addons. I know there were a bunch of ingame changes that removed the need for many addons, so be choosy.   

Hope that all helps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.