Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Returning to WoW: Time to start again?

Kutkh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kutkh

So I've decided to take the plunge and return to WoW after Christmas - Cataclysm has sold me. I played from beta, through release, until around late January 2006. I then came back briefly towards the end of 2006, but haven't played since. I wasn't there for any of the expansions. 

My main back then was a level 60 Shaman and I know that I'd like to continue playing that class. Question is: do I start over, or jump in at level 60 and hope that I figure out all that's changed in four years? 

Complicating the matter is the fact that due to a number of EU server moves and closures, my Shaman is stranded on a server I really don't want to be on. I'm willing to pay the £15 for a transfer, but it's an added cost. That said, I like the idea of returning to a character I invested a lot of time in back in the day rather than essentially shelving him. 

Anyway. Eager to hear what people think.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Hmmm...

1. I see you haven't played any of the expansions so starting from 60 means that the BC, Wrath, and Cata content will be all new for you. Those right there will last you plenty of time. The game hasn't changed so much it's impossible to pick up where you left off, but enough has changed that you might want to browse through the WoW wiki a bit or something before you jump right in.

2.  Start over - The 1-60 content has changed a lot and is pretty much designed to rocket you to 60. It shouldn't take you long to level back up at all.

That said, I'm like you, I like returning to that one character I put so much time in so I'd go with option 1. However, a lot of the new 1-60 content is really fun so make a new char just for the hell of it if you want. Also, Ieveling a new toon from about 1-20ish might be really helpful to get you back into the game since that's where they seem to integrate a lot of the tutorial stuff.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike
    @PrimeSynergy: How many hours of gameplay do you think it'll take for 1-60 under the new system? I'm like the topic creator, I haven't touched WoW since about six months post-BC.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

I just wish I could afford to get back in. Sure the subscription fee isn't all that bad, but just because I'd have WoW doesn't mean I'd want to buy any fewer of the upcoming console games I've got my eye on, so it's sort of one or the other for me. Not to mention the obligatory updates my PC would need to handle, and not to mention store, just everything that WoW has to offer.

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ZoomyRamen

I'd say re-start your character. The new old world zones are the meat of WoW and yeah, the shaman has changed allot since you left. I'm levelling a character aswell at the moment and it's pretty fun. Send me a PM if you want to level a toon or something. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf

Does anyone know what server everyone on GIant Bomb is using from the U.S.? I like the idea of being able to jump online with some GB guys at some point. 

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @MB:  If you're crazy like me, you can blow through it in 3-4 days playing about 6-8ish hours a day maybe (I got lucky since finals didn't start yet and my professors are easing off the work a bit) . I assume most people aren't though so assuming you play in a moderate amount of time each day, maybe a 1-3 weeks? Really depends on how you level. Not reading quests, not looting mobs, etc can save you endless hours in the long run. Once the xp in an area started o flatten out, I moved onto the next area. If you take your time and do everything available to you from 1-60, you can easily exceed 100+ hours (and probably level past 60) is my rough estimate.
    Kutkh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kutkh

Thanks for the feedback, all. Still not sure where I stand on this. Follow-up question: is it worth having two characters of the same class? I like Shaman enough that I'm willing to keep my level 60 (traditionally Enhancement) Shaman going while levelling an alt (probably Restoration) to pick up the basics enough. Seemed like a compromise. Thoughts?

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aeterna

Restart with a new character, I'm going through all the zones as well(with no interest in the expansions really) and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Some zones more than others, but you do want to see what's changed in azeroth. ;)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Kutkh said:
    " Thanks for the feedback, all. Still not sure where I stand on this. Follow-up question: is it worth having two characters of the same class? I like Shaman enough that I'm willing to keep my level 60 (traditionally Enhancement) Shaman going while levelling an alt (probably Restoration) to pick up the basics enough. Seemed like a compromise. Thoughts? "
    Since you can dual spec now, it doesn't make too much sense to have 2 different toons of the same class using only one talent tree each. But if you think it'll help you pick up the basics then go for it.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Fallen189
    @MB said:
    " @PrimeSynergy: How many hours of gameplay do you think it'll take for 1-60 under the new system? I'm like the topic creator, I haven't touched WoW since about six months post-BC. "
    As someone who knows the game, I did it in a day. Realistically, a week or two, playing casually.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Subjugation

If OP played during Vanilla then he should feel right at home in Cataclysm. In many ways it is a return to form where teamwork is emphasized and no one person can carry everyone else. Or as WotLK kiddies call it, "hard." 

Honestly though, the new content is fantastically done and I've been enjoying it very much. I haven't had this much fun with the game since I first started playing it and had that initial sense of wonderment. And don't be worried about getting back into it or relearning things. Playing WoW is like riding a bike.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mike
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @MB said:
    " @PrimeSynergy: How many hours of gameplay do you think it'll take for 1-60 under the new system? I'm like the topic creator, I haven't touched WoW since about six months post-BC. "
    As someone who knows the game, I did it in a day. Realistically, a week or two, playing casually. "
    That sounds about right. I just went 1-13 in around 3 hours played, and I wasn't even rushing it.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fallen189
    @MB said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @MB said:
    As someone who knows the game, I did it in a day. Realistically, a week or two, playing casually. "
    That sounds about right. I just went 1-13 in around 3 hours played, and I wasn't even rushing it. "
    It'll slow down around mid 30's, but pick back up around 45 or so when you get to Tanaris. Of course, I speak from a seasoned vanilla point of view, so your mileage may vary. A week or two is pretty generous. What are you playing as?
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mike
    @Fallen189: Tauren Paladin...which totally fits and is pretty awesome so far. The new quests in and around Org are amazing.
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I'm at level 30 in 9 days of playing and I'm a noob. Mostly 3-4 hours a day. I'd probably be futher along but I have been working on leather working a lot.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shirogane

Mm, everytime i've gone back to WoW, i've started a new character. It doesn't feel right going back to an old character and trying to figure out everything all over again, especially when most of the stuff has changed. It involves a combination of you remember that this was how you were supposed to play, and realizing that half of what you remember is either wrong, or has changed so much that you have to completely change your playstyle. 

Though there's a whole crapload of new content, so you should probably start over anyway, it won't take anywhere near as long as it did back when you first got to 60 with that shammy.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

DONT DO IT DUDE...
    WoW stole one of my friends, all he does is play WoW and go to school, disappointment in both regards...think of your friends and loved ones ;)

deadken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deadken

My new technique for working with subscription type games is to generate a temporary credit card # from your bank's website.  Then I sign up for 3 months knowing the subscription won't be auto-renewed. 

Cataclysm to me is a bit of a dud, but then I concentrate on my high level toons only (when you've got so many 80's you've lost count, you know you've played too long.) 

Anyway, not enough post 80 content.  Vashj'ir is sooooooo bad everyone seems to just skip it now.  Dungeon queue's take forever.  Quests feel like retreads.  Some cut scene's are ok, but a lot aren't worth the bother.  The acting/writing for the zep ride to Twighlight is so bad I just have to walk away. 

So I personally won't be too disappointed once my 3 months is up again.
    ___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ___pocalypse

I recently restarted WoW again as well! I would definitely just start a new character, since things are pretty different (the core of the game is pretty similar, but there are lots of new changes to the talent trees and things like getting your first mount at lvl 20 that really make it a different ball game). I have been enjoying it, but since the last time I really played was when the level cap was only 60, I've had a little bit of a learning curve getting back into it. On the bright side, leveling is super easy now. I would check out the new starting quests for undead for sure; they're really fun and fast paced now. The goblin starting area is also pretty neat. 

I don't play every day, but have been leveling a few characters pretty steadily. I haven't gotten frustrated with gathering quests or running around at all so far, which is a nice change from when you would have to farm raptors for hours to get their stupidly low drop rate eyes or whatever. Everything is really user friendly now.

mernmern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mernmern

I just fired up my 42 mage from 2007.  I am experiencing a serious learning curve, but the fire tree seems about the same.  I am enjoying it, but I rarely see anyone else when I am playing (Malfurion).  The most interesting part of the experience was seeing everyone else going about their business.  Do I need to rocket up into the 60's or 80's to find everyone?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By toowalrus

My little brother is an end-game raider- and I'm super jealous. He's a junior in highschool, when I was his age, I was raiding during the burning crucade- he reminds me of... me. I just don't have the time anymore, with work and school.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I was debating this also, I was wonder how time demanding it is now? I never got into the end-game because it was too much farming just to start raiding. but how is it now I wanted to play it casually (1-3 hours a day and i can plan for raids). How much work is it to raid now?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It's fun but don't expect anything super challenging. As awesome as this expansion is everything is really easy or will soon be easy in a patch or two.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Irvandus said:
    It's fun but don't expect anything super challenging. As awesome as this expansion is everything is really easy or will soon be easy in a patch or two.
    How is the end-game raiding now? has it gotten any faster? and do you still need to do 10+ raids to get enough points to even get anything?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.