Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Teen Threatens Act of Terrorism In WoW

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By harrisonave

So, I was browsing The Escapist this morning and stumbled across this crazy story.  For those not interested in following the link, here's this gist of it:

"The 18-year-old from Johnson County, Indiana, said that he "was going to board a plane at 7:30 to Chicago and that (he) was going to try and kill as many Americans as possible," reports Destructioid. Apparently, the moron in question repeated this claim more than once, which I imagine is similar to smashing your foot with a sledgehammer, then repeatedly doing it over and over again to see if it'll still hurt.

Predictably, Blizzard employees saw the announcements and notified the proper authorities. The teen quickly backpedaled, claiming that someone had hacked his account, but that didn't stop the FBI from seizing his computer to investigate the incident further."

Now, as stated, the kid claimed someone had hacked his account, and I'm willing to give this kid the benefit of the doubt.  I refuse to believe that anyone could possibly be this stupid.  It's bad enough that you're enough of a jackass to even think up something as awful as this, but to then log on to the biggest MMO in the world and discuss those plans?  You might as well just turn yourself in, at that point.

I'd really like to try to follow this story as it develops, because I am curious to see how it all unfolds.  It seems like there's always something completely insane going on around these MMOs.  I've never been much for Wow, or games like it, but I can't help but be a little interested when I read crazy stories like this.

Ah, the Internet. You'll eventually be the death of us all, but I can't help but love ya.
    harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By harrisonave

So, I was browsing The Escapist this morning and stumbled across this crazy story.  For those not interested in following the link, here's this gist of it:

"The 18-year-old from Johnson County, Indiana, said that he "was going to board a plane at 7:30 to Chicago and that (he) was going to try and kill as many Americans as possible," reports Destructioid. Apparently, the moron in question repeated this claim more than once, which I imagine is similar to smashing your foot with a sledgehammer, then repeatedly doing it over and over again to see if it'll still hurt.

Predictably, Blizzard employees saw the announcements and notified the proper authorities. The teen quickly backpedaled, claiming that someone had hacked his account, but that didn't stop the FBI from seizing his computer to investigate the incident further."

Now, as stated, the kid claimed someone had hacked his account, and I'm willing to give this kid the benefit of the doubt.  I refuse to believe that anyone could possibly be this stupid.  It's bad enough that you're enough of a jackass to even think up something as awful as this, but to then log on to the biggest MMO in the world and discuss those plans?  You might as well just turn yourself in, at that point.

I'd really like to try to follow this story as it develops, because I am curious to see how it all unfolds.  It seems like there's always something completely insane going on around these MMOs.  I've never been much for Wow, or games like it, but I can't help but be a little interested when I read crazy stories like this.

Ah, the Internet. You'll eventually be the death of us all, but I can't help but love ya.
    regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By regularassmilk

What a dipshit kid.
    I just read about this on kotaku.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Teens and shit talking, when will it end. The amount of times I've been threatened with anal rapage over Xbox Live is well too many to count. Then those guys call me gay, how the fuck can I be the gay one when YOU'RE threatening to fuck me?

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Pibo47

Fucking idiot.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By harrisonave
    @Keyser_Soze said:
    " Teens and shit talking, when will it end. The amount of times I've been threatened with anal rapage over Xbox Live is well too many to count. Then those guys call me gay, how the fuck can I be the gay one when YOU'RE threatening to fuck me? "
    Ugh, tell me about it.  It really irks me that just anybody can walk into a Best Buy and moments later be online, annoying the rest of the world with their stupidity.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By flaminghobo

It's people like him that give teens like me, a bad image in the gaming community.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

I hear you knocking, but you can't come in. We're the FBI son and we're already in. That's going to be a hard lesson learned for that guy.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Milkman

One part you left out in the original post: The kid only said this in order to prove to the other people that the cops wouldn't turn up at your house if you made terrorist threats in the game.

To which I say, LAWL.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By harrisonave
    @Milkman said:
    " One part you left out in the original post: The kid only said this in order to prove to the other people that the cops wouldn't turn up at your house if you made terrorist threats in the game. To which I say, LAWL. "
    So much for that theory, I guess.  I guess this guy IS that dumb.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Hamz

There have been a few kids before who have said over the internet they wish to commit a crime and within 24hours they've had the authorities turn up on their doorstep. The biggest that comes to mind was a 15 year old boy who said he intended to burn his school down with everyone in it on Newgrounds forum. Users there reported it to the police and he was promptly taken into custody after they found a can of petrol in the school ground I believe.

There are a number of dumb people out there, just more proof that the 'internet generation' of kids today need to be stopped from breeding.

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShadowKing7
    @Milkman said:
    "One part you left out in the original post: The kid only said this in order to prove to the other people that the cops wouldn't turn up at your house if you made terrorist threats in the game. To which I say, LAWL. "

Dude, I love this post, so freaking hilarious.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

I can guarantee that no one hacked his account.  He just thought he would get attention if he said that kind of shit, and he also thought that it would be funny...because kids today don't even know a damn thing about what a REAL sense of humor is.  They think fucked-up statements like that and fucked-up shit is hilarious...when in fact, it shows the deterioration of our society's moral standings under a magnifying glass.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Red12b
    @Hamz said:
    "There have been a few kids before who have said over the internet they wish to commit a crime and within 24hours they've had the authorities turn up on their doorstep. The biggest that comes to mind was a 15 year old boy who said he intended to burn his school down with everyone in it on Newgrounds forum. Users there reported it to the police and he was promptly taken into custody after they found a can of petrol in the school ground I believe. There are a number of dumb people out there, just more proof that the 'internet generation' of kids today need to be stopped from breeding. "

Hahaha The big Holocaust of our generation shall commence.
    Disclaimer:
    My father is Dutch Ze Germans stole his Bike, my bike, I do not advocate the holocaust.

Drrizzit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Drrizzit

thats pretty stupid. I think wow in hindi would be strange

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.